Guru Reels

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Have you put your order in for two of them yet Mark?:unsure::whistle:
No not at all. Guru make some nice products , the same as Preston, and a lot of other makes MAP, Matrix and Drennan. I have mainly Daiwa reels, with a few Preston ones. Just bought a little used Daiwa 3012 Legalis reel of the bay for £34. Can’t beat that.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
If anyone pays that sort off silly money for a reel for casting a float or feeder they need there head seeing too.....

Guilty as charged.

I've had a pair of 5500 Ultegra CI4's, Daiwa Cast'izm, TDR Distance, pair of CI4+ Shimano medium baitrunners. In excess of a grand i reckon just to chuck a feeder out :)

Some people pee their money up the wall every week, me i'm just a humble tackle tart 😛

Total

Site Supporter
Guilty as charged.

I've had a pair of 5500 Ultegra CI4's, Daiwa Cast'izm, TDR Distance, pair of CI4+ Shimano medium baitrunners. In excess of a grand i reckon just to chuck a feeder out :)

Some people pee their money up the wall every week, me i'm just a humble tackle tart 😛
But you 'chuck a feeder rod out" in style....;)(y)......Enjoy.....

Pompous git

Site Supporter
The Guru reel would be too complicated for you to use!;):p:ROFLMAO:
Listen you, used Shimano`s for twenty years and they not only do everything asked of them they are reliable and well made and
designed, why change?

Had a look at the `fighting cocks` website, could combine fishing and din dins:)

Total

Site Supporter
Listen you, used Shimano`s for twenty years and they not only do everything asked of them they are reliable and well made and
designed, why change?

Had a look at the `fighting cocks` website, could combine fishing and din dins:)
Am a total Shimano nut myself mate, right from when they first appeared in our shops....:love:....Apart from a few Youngs centre pins of sorts....As you say, why change?...(y)

Had a few meals at the 'Fighting Cocks' makes a nice evening/afternoon etc including a few wedding do's there....Well recommended...The river is a smashing sideshow...:)

MrBen

Site Supporter
If anyone pays that sort off silly money for a reel for casting a float or feeder they need there head seeing too.....
Please explain to me then why I go to work? Because if I can’t treat myself to a nice piece of tackle, to me there’s no point I might as well pick dog 💩 up in a park using nothing more than my mouth.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
£275 for a coarse fishing reel does seem a bit nuts. Sledgehammer to crack a nut comes to mind. Seen a few used and abused reel reviews on YouTube recently and it seems there’s serious diminishing returns on fixed spools beyond the £200 mark and that’s for far more rigorous fishing than coarse fishing.

But if people are seriously flush and can spend that much on a reel (presumably on an equally expensive matching guru rod 😉) then fair play to them got to spend it on something I guess keep it out the hands of the taxman 😅

PS I know it is essentially a daiwa but I’d still want to have a world renowned brand like daiwa or shimano if I were spending that much just to go full tackle tart 😂

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
Guru wouldn't bring them onto the market if they didn't think they'd sell.
They will no doubt be 'reviewed' in the angling press and declared to be the best reels ever.

Those who believe that spending the equivalent of the national debt of a small African country on fishing gear will make them a better and more successful angler will no doubt race out and buy them. :p

Simon

Philnun87

It’ll be interesting to see what they have additional that other reels in the £100-£190 bracket have. I appreciate that they may sell for less than the rrp.

Most, if not all reels in that bracket already have silky smooth clutches, mag seal, great line lay etc.

not knocking guru stuff as it is good gear, just wondering.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Those who believe that spending the equivalent of the national debt of a small African country on fishing gear will make them a better and more successful angler will no doubt race out and buy them. :p

Simon
Or just maybe people like to buy nice things with no illusion it will make them better anglers, they just like owning nice things.

I can’t help but notice there’s always a certain amount of angler bashing comes about whenever an expensive piece of kit is mentioned, just because you can’t afford it or justify it’s price tag, doesn’t make every purchaser a day dream believer.

don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t take foreign holidays, own a 2006 kangoo van, walk to work, but I do enjoy sitting on the bank with my matching acolyte rods and tdr reels on my Preston white seatbox. I hope that’s ok with everyone, if it isn’t feel free to catch the next flight to a communist country and see that your ideal didn’t actually work in practice as some animals are always more equal than others.

Philnun87

Or just maybe people like to buy nice things with no illusion it will make them better anglers, they just like owning nice things.

I can’t help but notice there’s always a certain amount of angler bashing comes about whenever an expensive piece of kit is mentioned, just because you can’t afford it or justify it’s price tag, doesn’t make every purchaser a day dream believer.

don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t take foreign holidays, own a 2006 kangoo van, walk to work, but I do enjoy sitting on the bank with my matching acolyte rods and tdr reels on my Preston white seatbox. I hope that’s ok with everyone, if it isn’t feel free to catch the next flight to a communist country and see that your ideal didn’t actually work in practice as some animals are always more equal than others.
I also like to buy decent gear and it does feel good to have gear that works and does the job. It has to be the right piece of kit for the job though.

I like TDRs for example too as I think they are awesome reels and have better winding power and control than most others (personal opinion) I recently bought a Shimano Aero x7 (after initially running the carrier section down) as I thought it was awesome when I picked it up.

I think guru stuff gets a particularly bad rep because it is at the top end. I also think that a lot of people (myself included) know exactly what the relationship is with Daiwa for every item as it seems to differ - maybe they should do a marketing piece around this. Otherwise people just think it is a Daiwa reel with extra money slapped on. This is where Guru go a bit wrong I think (again personal opinion)

i own a lot of guru terminal tackle because it is good quality and works but none of their rods, seatboxes etc so I can’t comment on whether they are worth the extra money.

I think people should buy what they want to buy depending on their budget and tastes. I am just keen to see what a guru reel adds however to a TDR for example..I can’t comment personally until I’ve used one.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
£275 for a coarse fishing reel does seem a bit nuts.
I bought 2 of the original TDX's when they first came out, list price was fairly close to that price, but I didn't pay that. Eventually got rid as I was hardly using them, and now have Legalis reels. The TDX's were better, but not £200 better. If you want it and can afford it, buy it.