Guru Reels

scuttster

Site Supporter
Have just seen a post of Facey which says the Guru reels are due to be launch next month at a retail price of £275. Though this was a tackle shop taking preorders and not official from Guru themselves.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the pricing? If that is RRP then it sits the reel just above the RRP of the Daiwa 18 TDR QD which a lot of reports are saying that the Gurus are the same reel with a different paint job.
7940B2A2-40B3-429E-9159-C2F313925921.jpeg

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
If they are a rebadged Daiwa 18 TDR QD they'll sell for around the £190 mark that you can get a Daiwa for certainly not the RRP.

chris1967

Site Supporter
do not look him in the eyes or you will buy one, just more orange for the teletubbies out there

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0

Stanley

Sounds like along with the new reels we should see a new commercial focused pole built in the UK by Daiwa launched in October under the Guru brand.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
£275 or whatever they hit the shelves at is appealing to a narrow customer band. At those sort of prices they'll price themselves out of the market.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
£275 or whatever they hit the shelves at is appealing to a narrow customer band. At those sort of prices they'll price themselves out of the market.
Doubt it somehow Dave, the Daiwa TDR QD's have a RRP of £270 but are readily available at around the £190 mark so I would expect to see similar prices for a Guru version. ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Bit on the expensive side for me, I already have one TDR and don't use as much as cheaper reels + I'm saving for a pole.

grey

Site Supporter
Guru won't be manufacturing this themselves, they'll be having made by another company.

I doubt very much that Daiwa would make a reel for another company challenging the same market as their own reels. Shimano is a definite 'no' too; Okuma could, but will keep their name on the reel somewhere.

There's only a handful of engineering companies capable of making this calibre of reel to order: my guess is they're made by Doyo in South Korea. Think they make the current Browning reels too.

Gordy

Guru won't be manufacturing this themselves, they'll be having made by another company.

I doubt very much that Daiwa would make a reel for another company challenging the same market as their own reels.
I doubt that any company other than Daiwa will be making them, they make their Aventus rods after all.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I doubt very much that Daiwa would make a reel for another company challenging the same market as their own reels. Shimano is a definite 'no' too; Okuma could, but will keep their name on the reel somewhere.
Korda/Guru have had tie ins with Daiwa for ages. I'll be very surprised if these reels aren't made by Daiwa. From what little can be seen in the OP's pics, they look like Daiwa reels. Interesting that they've gone back to the one touch folding handle that Daiwa themselves have largely abandoned in their top end reels.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Unlike the Daiwas there will be little or no discount on the Guru reels as they are priced differently plus they are a limited edition