Guru NGauge Feeder Rods

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Anyone used these rods much? I haven't used mine for what I bought it for yet, short chucks on commercials, but have misused it and broke two tips trying to chuck too far Bream fishing.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Frap ups?

I broke the lightest tip on my MAP Parabolix SUV first time out at Barston going for the big chuck and didn't realise i had a frap up, tip just exploded :LOL:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm not sure what was going on, 6lb Maxima and half way through a cast so not frapped round before I cast. It happened to me first time I used it and had a crack off but had to check the tip because it sounded like that might have gone. When it went the other times it was halfway through a cast, as though the line wrapped round half way through the cast, not had it happen before but it happened twice trying to cast about 50m with it. I will be more gentle with it on future casts and just use it for what I bought it for in future as the tips do seem very delicate on it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Anyone used these rods much? I haven't used mine for what I bought it for yet, short chucks on commercials, but have misused it and broke two tips trying to chuck too far Bream fishing.
A 10 footer isn't really the rod for a 50 yard chuck is it. :(

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Do you have one @Peter? I've seen that before I bought it. What I'm wondering is has anyone used it for what I bought it for, commercial short chucks?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It seems perfect for my way of fishing in Winter, chucking short range on commercials, bit stupid of me to use it for Bream although I did catch a few on it, I was casting to its maximum range, probably nowhere near 50m as I claimed, but must have been on the 'food line' for Bream as I had a few. I'm curious to anyone who has used them though as I haven't had chance to get out and use it properly yet, and not heard much about them. They are quite light rods and bend right through so I'm hoping I'll enjoy using it for Winter Carp often only chucking within pole range on one place I fish but we will see.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I havent personally, But a friend is a big fan of Guru and has 3 of these Rods. Lovely, thin & light from what I've gathered just handling it. I have a Drennan Puddle Chucker and it's a dream in comparison. He uses them over our local clubpond, As well as commies and they seem to handle carp nicely. Plenty of bream caught on them too.

Wouldn't say he's well equipped to give a proper opinion as he hasn't been much this year to use them, But so far so good I believe.

I heard that they didn't get a very good write up from a popular fishing magazine though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I havent personally, But a friend is a big fan of Guru and has 3 of these Rods. Lovely, thin & light from what I've gathered just handling it. I have a Drennan Puddle Chucker and it's a dream in comparison. He uses them over our local clubpond, As well as commies and they seem to handle carp nicely. Plenty of bream caught on them too.

Wouldn't say he's well equipped to give a proper opinion as he hasn't been much this year to use them, But so far so good I believe.

I heard that they didn't get a very good write up from a popular fishing magazine though.

Which magazine mate? I'd be interested to read that. From what I can tell from my (mis)use of them so far, they're so light they're better suited to Winter fighting fish than any actual heavy work on commercials but I could be wrong as haven't had more than Bream on them so far. I wouldn't say a top tier rod but not bad.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Which magazine mate? I'd be interested to read that. From what I can tell from my (mis)use of them so far, they're so light they're better suited to Winter fighting fish than any actual heavy work on commercials but I could be wrong as haven't had more than Bream on them so far. I wouldn't say a top tier rod but not bad.

Not 100% sure. Another friend has Acolytes and were were talking about Acolytes and Guru Rods, He'd mentioned that the N-Guages didn't get a good write up but the Acolytes got a (well deserved) write up. He told me which magazine it was but I didn't really take notice lol. I think it was Angling Mail or Angling Times. It started with Angling, that's all I know. If you're unable to find it, I plan on having a day tomorrow and he comes by 9/10 times so I'll ask him if you want.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It wouldn't surprise me to see a bad review of it lol, even if they are rare in the glossy mags, not a bad rod, good for the price, but very light actioned. Not what I'd call a Summer Method Feeder Commercial Rod from first impressions.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
It wouldn't surprise me to see a bad review of it lol, even if they are rare in the glossy mags, not a bad rod, good for the price, but very light actioned. Not what I'd call a Summer Method Feeder Commercial Rod from first impressions.

That's interesting. He's only said good things about it - Though he may be biased based on the fact that just about all his gear is Guru. He's a big fan. Wish I could offer up a review of my own, But I've only handled one of the rods a couple of times and then seen him fish with it on a commie a few times, On one of the occasions he finished up with 12 carp, None below the 5lb mark. He most regularly uses it on our clublake. I don't believe he's had any carp out of there however as he has a way of losing them there lol. Plenty of bream on it however.

Wish I could offer up a review of my own, But it's rarely I buy new gear. I'm pretty rag and tag and usually pickup most my gear used if I come across it cheap enough. Who knows, Maybe in 10 years I'll come across a £20 N-Guage Rod and I'll get back to you :ROFLMAO:

Heres a pic of his N-Guage in action on the commercial where he had 12 carp.

Attachments

• NGuage.jpg
    NGuage.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 32

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You can see the through action of it in that pic. It is the same playing Bream. I'm told this is a good thing for big Carp anyway but I will have to learn to push it as you can see it really bends. Maybe it is just me and I will soon see that it has some backbone to it.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
You can see the through action of it in that pic. It is the same playing Bream. I'm told this is a good thing for big Carp anyway but I will have to learn to push it as you can see it really bends. Maybe it is just me and I will soon see that it has some backbone to it.

Absolutely no denying that it doesn't half bend mate. The Puddle chucker I use doesn't bend half as much as that now you say it. However, On that day I was pretty impressed with that N-Guage Rod. Would've much rather been sitting with that N-Guage over my puddle chucker thats for sure :ROFLMAO: Half the bream on our local are only just, If not skimmers. They usually just flop once hooked and reel straight in, Even for Bream standards they're pretty lazy so I can't really comment.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well I used the rod properly, for it's intended purpose today, and I have to say I'm well impressed. It's spot on. I think what threw me was that 5lb summer Bream can actually put a bit more of a bend in the rod than you'd expect, and can be quite plodding so it feels like you're not in control. But having had a modest amount of fish today (Carp to 4lb) I can say that despite a pencil thin blank, it powers up perfectly and has a lovely action. Will definitely put it to good use this winter and I think I take back my comments about it not being suited to summer commercial fishing as like I say, it powers up.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Somehow, I don't know how, I found myself in Bob and his company's store today holding a Guru N Gauge feeder rod in 9ft. A beautiful little thing it is too, but a bit underpowered for commercials with rogue largish carp. Then, as if by magic, one of the sales people popped up right beside me. He agreed it would be a little under gunned but he had a 10' one stashed in the back for himself and would I like to see it? Err, do you need to ask? Off he popped and 5 mins later he was back looking glum. Some swine had sold it even though there was a sticker on it saying it was for him. Don't worry he said, we will put an order in for 2 more and I will call you when it arrives and lock the bloody things away before they are sold. (y)

So, how are you all getting along with the rod? Worth the money? Is there better available at this price point? I was also interested in the Shimano X5 that isn't too far off the money...
I will be using both cage and method (or trying to) and distance casting is not a worry, 20 yards or so at most.
Whilst there I did purchase a set of DAM digital weighing scales and a lovely Maver signature pro weigh net. No more arguments about whose is bigger now @Mrs Munch ;) (Mine, obviously).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I only use mine on commercials in winter. I'd agree it's underpowered for summer Carp fishing. I like the rod for what I use it for though.

Louis D

Site Supporter
You need to try it on carp, you might be surprised. I would be amazed if a Guru rod didn't handle carp, let's face it they are a commy focused company. I have a 9' acolyte plus and it is very thin and very bendy. It handles carp without any problem. It's not a rod for 40 g feeders or trying to pull their heads off but does its job very well. There is a good Drennan video of Grant Albutt using one at Larford, admittedly he's sponsored but you can clearly see the rod works.