Guru Floats

Pilchy60

Invested in some open water fibreglass stem diamond 0.3g for a local water.
Each float, the eye came out after 1 carp......NOT impressed.

Anyone else had issues ?

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I’ve used the pingers since they came out and just trying some of the newer ones, never had a problem. The eye is the thing I most like as I can’t stand spring eyes or even the Preston ones at the bottom of the tip. They are floats that just work perfectly.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Reason I add spring eyes to all my carp floats. Very difficult to make a side eye that withstands an angry carp.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I particularly like the Drennan AS range as they have in effect a ‘ double ‘ eye. I’m shocked at the Guru ones though. They looked quite well made when I saw them in Willy Worms a few weeks ago. 🤔

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Mick Wilkinson has a very good reputation for his pole floats and supervises all Guru production,any chance they could have been copies as its happened before.

Pilchy60

Mick Wilkinson has a very good reputation for his pole floats and supervises all Guru production,any chance they could have been copies as its happened before.
Of course its possible, but its from a reliable Tackle Dealer, so I very much doubt it, and agree that MW has a great reputation.

Over the last couple of years I've been buying floats from an individual float maker, and have been far more reliable than the 'mass produced' ones (Though have to say the new PI ones have been as good), but these looked liked they would do the job I wanted.

Love Guru products, and not a dig at them, so genuinely disappointed that these floats failed, maybe it was just a 'bad batch', but regrettably, I wont be buying any more, and stick to my guy for floats.

Cheers

Markus

Just to mention: the new Preston ones with dura side eye and made of rohacell foam seem to survive everything! Iam really impressed.

Pilchy60

Just to mention: the new Preston ones with dura side eye and made of rohacell foam seem to survive everything! Iam really impressed.
Have to agree.....for a mass manufactured float...pretty good

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Reason I add spring eyes to all my carp floats. Very difficult to make a side eye that withstands an angry carp.
Do you make your own floats, or add a spring eye to commercially bought float with an eye in the body ? Seen a few floats for sale, but most have eyes in the body. If you do add an eye, do you leave the old one in the body, or remove it and glue the hole ?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I add spring eyes to bought in floats. Line the eye up with the existing one and when making up the rig pass the line through both. I guess that is being a bit OCD.

When adding the spring eye I use clear nail varnish to fix it in place. That way it is easily removed if the bristle gets broken and needs replacing. Sometimes I will paint over the spring with nail varnish to eliminate any gaps. I also varnish the side eye to ensure that is watertight. Any drying in the eye is easily poked out with a pin.

I have never noticed the use of a side eye affect how the float works or sits in the water.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I did buy a dozen or so Guru floats and not had any problems myself. But you can only speak from experience you have yourselves? The only time I felt I'd wasted money was the bread punch kit, really rubbish, not worth £16-£20. IMHO. The rods look fantastic, but I'm not paying all that for any rods nowadays.

marcusp

They may be a mw design but they arnt handmade like the floats he is famous for. These are mass produced in a factory where cost and labour is kept to a minimum and quality suffers. I dont think MW supervises the floats being made somehow. You would be better buying genuin hand made floats from Gaz Malman or Nick Gilbert

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have seen video of the set up showing Mick inspecting floats and as he is working only for Guru now I would think he spends a fair chunk of time there but exactly how much is between him and Guru.

Pilchy60

They may be a mw design but they arnt handmade like the floats he is famous for. These are mass produced in a factory where cost and labour is kept to a minimum and quality suffers. I dont think MW supervises the floats being made somehow. You would be better buying genuin hand made floats from Gaz Malman or Nick Gilbert
TBH I get most of mine from Tom Hardy nowadays, but certainly got a few in my box from Gas Malman as they really are tough as....