Guru/Daiwa?

Rick123

Site Supporter
I wonder what Daiwa thought it would get out of joining up with Guru. They have made an expensive but attractive range of rods that I expect will compete with Diana for retail space? But I'd guess they are Guru in name badge only. What are your thoughts guys?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I'd imagine Daiwa get a good chunk of change per rod, that's why Guru rods so expensive I reckon, for Guru to make money need to mark up the price further over what they pay Daiwa.

I've waggled an Aventus, doesnt feel like £400 worth of rod in my opinion. I've owned an SLR and its a miles better rod for less money. Apples and oranges though with the SLR being a lot stiffer.

Aventus didn't feel much different to a Cast'izm rod tbf.

I reckon they'll go into the reel market soon, re-badged TDR done in black and orange with 2 more bearings and a £150 mark up.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I had a quick waggle of an 11ft N gauge feeder rod the week before lockdown and my 1st impression was it felt very much like the Team Daiwa feeder rod, not the latest version, the one of 2 or 3 years ago, wouldn't like to say for definite until you could get them both together. Not a bad thing though as that Team Daiwa was a nice rod, even if it isn't the same blank you could certainly see where there was some Daiwa input

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Daiwa have had a relationship with Korda for years. The Guru thing is just a further extension of that link. I'd have thought that Daiwa will get cash and a bit more exposure. All that lovely TV air time with plenty of press and YouTube stuff thrown in. It's not exactly a secret that the Guru rods are made by Daiwa. I doubt a regular Daiwa customer would be particularly bothered the Guru rods. I suspect that there may be a few individuals that might not have gone for a high price Daiwa that may be tempted by a Guru branded rod, even if it's more expensive. They certainly are building a following with their branding and marketing strategy.

bris

I had a quick waggle of an 11ft N gauge feeder rod the week before lockdown and my 1st impression was it felt very much like the Team Daiwa feeder rod, not the latest version, the one of 2 or 3 years ago, wouldn't like to say for definite until you could get them both together. Not a bad thing though as that Team Daiwa was a nice rod, even if it isn't the same blank you could certainly see where there was some Daiwa input
Do you mean the Team Daiwa Commercial feeder rods like these?Daiwa Team Daiwa Commercial - Feeder Rods

Reason I ask is that I used to have one and stupidly sold it a few years ago but now they’ve stopped making them was wondering what Daiwa/Guru rod was now it’s equivalent.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Do you mean the Team Daiwa Commercial feeder rods like these?Daiwa Team Daiwa Commercial - Feeder Rods

Reason I ask is that I used to have one and stupidly sold it a few years ago but now they’ve stopped making them was wondering what Daiwa/Guru rod was now it’s equivalent.
No I meant the model before the commercial range, the commercial range is mid lengths ie 9'6", 10'6" & 11'6"...i think if you look on ebay you might find some bargains for the commercial range if there are any left