Guru, Are they taking over the hook game?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Was it the old range you had problems with or the entirely new range that has just come out a few months ago ?
The reason I ask was because the customers buying them now are very impressed with the current versions and come back for more.
We did not sell the old range at all so I dont really know about them.
Yes mate, the old range... And never had I had hooks consistently snap on fail on me the way that they did. Actually, I've never had any tackle fail the way their hooks did back then. I know they brought out a whole new range, But still every time I walk past Matrix's stall I have flashbacks aha. I still use their Power Micron line however, you know the old discontinued blue spool? Good stuff.

Maybe I just need to give the new range a go - But I've really been sold on Guru's hook range as of late.

Cheers re tomorrow. The F1 maggot I found a bit springy as they are very fine wire, nothing wrong with them per se in the right situation but I just hadn't found a use for them yet, ie what they were intended for as the name states. (y) ?
Ahh that's fair. I've been using F1 Maggot on my usual pond and I've found them great for Silvers, Skimmer & Bream! Saying that though I purchased them specifically for that and haven't had a go for them on F1's or carp however.

I tried the f1 maggot and pellet hooks when they first came out and did not like them at all.

I fished with them in the winter fishing a double 5 elastic with maggots and i had enough straighten out on small f1s and even bream to make me loose all confidence in them.

None of the fish were what you call hard fighting either.

I do like some of the guru hooks though.
Eh, That sucks. As I stated above, I've only fished them for Silvers thus far, As well as bream up to 3lb and I rate them. Saying that, I don't think I've had a Carp on them yet and I don't generally fish ponds populated with F1's either.
I use the F1 Maggot hook on a day ticket stillwater that's stuffed with good roach that few target. It's also stuffed with lunatic carp that run to high doubles and slightly bigger. I only fish it in the winter when the carp are less active and a little less banzai. I use the F1 maggot quite deliberately knowing that if a carp goes absolutely crackers, I can simply clamp up and the hook will spring open and the fish be lost before a line breakage occurs. I have to take a lot of time to land them, but I do land a good proportion of those hooked. If I find the carp end up being a bit too prevalent, I switch to Kaizens.

I consider the F1 Maggot to be a good hook. However, I doubt that they will live up to most people's expectations of their name. Perhaps If the F1s are relatively small and you are fishing in the depths of winter when they are finicky and don't pull as hard. I wouldn't be using them in summer or on a venue where the F1 consistently go 4lb+.
Same here. Great for Roach though. Again, as stated above my usual isn't particularly stocked with carp and as the colder months draw in, You catch less and less so I haven't had anything over 3lb bream on them. Regardless, That's smart thinking.
Kaizans though ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
When I replied at the start of October I was a dedicated Kamasan user but for the last 6 weeks I’ve been fishing only method feeder and with them Guru QM1 hooks, size 14. These are the 4” hooklength pre-tied version with a band.

To say I think they are amazing is doing them a gross disservice - to date I have banked carp (only carp in the lake I’m on) to 13lb 3oz & not suffered a single hook slip. I have lost 3 or 4 fish but all due to snag/breaks or my own stupidity not concentrating on the initial bite.

i will definitely invest in some more patterns to try out on the river and on the margin pole once the weather warms up again.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ahh that's fair. I've been using F1 Maggot on my usual pond and I've found them great for Silvers, Skimmer & Bream! Saying that though I purchased them specifically for that and haven't had a go for them on F1's or carp however.

I ordered my packs of F1 Maggot originally when it seemed I couldn't find anything else for slider fishing for Bream but never got round to it.

I've started noticing on packs I've hooks that I've bought and been impressed by the sharpness it says PTFE coated.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
When I replied at the start of October I was a dedicated Kamasan user but for the last 6 weeks I’ve been fishing only method feeder and with them Guru QM1 hooks, size 14. These are the 4” hooklength pre-tied version with a band.

To say I think they are amazing is doing them a gross disservice - to date I have banked carp (only carp in the lake I’m on) to 13lb 3oz & not suffered a single hook slip. I have lost 3 or 4 fish but all due to snag/breaks or my own stupidity not concentrating on the initial bite.

i will definitely invest in some more patterns to try out on the river and on the margin pole once the weather warms up again.

Great stuff OldTaff.
I don't usually big up brands, Certainly not Guru as I'm not generally a fan, But their bloody hooks I love!

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I ordered my packs of F1 Maggot originally when it seemed I couldn't find anything else for slider fishing for Bream but never got round to it.

I've started noticing on packs I've hooks that I've bought and been impressed by the sharpness it says PTFE coated.

Yeah I only buy their PTFE coated hooks now. Seems a lot of other brands are following in suite regarding PTFE coating. Not even really sure what it is / does but they do seem extremely sharp in comparison to non-ptfe. So much so that I don't find myself worrying and changing hooks a few times each session worrying that my hook is going dull...

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Sharp isn’t the word for it - don’t remember ever getting so many hooks nicking me but then perhaps as I’ve aged my coordination isn’t what it used to be ;)

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I use F1 pellet hooks for my winter skimmer fishing with pellet also use them for roach fishing with maggots, they stay super sharp and strong, landed carp on them whilst silvers fishing with no problems.
They seem very close to gamma blacks, I prefer the wider gape instead of traditional maggots hooks like a kaizan guru hook

NJ1875

Site Supporter
I only use Guru hooks now - Super LWG covers most of the fishing on commercials - feeder specials for rivers and Guru Pole specials for canals and some float fishing on rivers. I have been impressed with them since I got recommended them.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Kaizens are fast becoming my go to all round maggot hook. :upthumb: