Guru, Are they taking over the hook game?

rudd

Site Supporter
Would say Guru hooks are primarily aimed at commercial anglers.
The likes of Mustad supply hooks all round the world for a massive variation of angling types.

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Match specials and Pole Specials are superb , used them for all my Roach, skimmer and Bream fishing since they come out late spring ,

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Like QM1 and used them since my Andy May coaching day in 2011, but tend to use Preston for rest KKMB, GPM, SFL, XSH. Changed over from years of Drennan (wide gape pellet, silverfish pellet) PTFE coated hooks are the way forward. Have use Guru SWLG pre tied with a band (0.13 line) for shallow, just wish they made them 4’ long.

Paul.P

Used the guru extra strongs for years, but they were prone to blunten quite quickly, now using the new ptfe version & they seem to of solved that problem, so happy days !

Carp attack

Guru fan myself for hooks, cannot fault them! Love the mwg for big margin fish near snags ?,
lwg for general carping,
Qm1 for all bomb/method work,

Just recently started trying the preston GPM hooks and been very impressed by these,

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
F1 Maggot are the only ones I've bought and then found out they're supposed to be the worst in the range :ROFLMAO: not tried them yet.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have used some of the QM1's and Kiazans and found them to be fine and would probably use them again however I find them no better or worse than similar hooks from other manufacturers. My go to hooks tend to be Tubertini 808, 801 and 175 plus some drennan maggot hooks and some Middy hooks in larger sizes along with an old stock of Mustard 90340's. I only use barbless hooks and almost always in spade end with a few exceptions in the larger sizes and am happy with the patterns that I currently use so see no reason to change these as long as they are available I will however continue to try other hooks as I do with other items of tackle

RichBeech

I use Guru hooks nearly exclusively now, have never had an issue with them.

Same here, apart from B560s and the odd B911 I only use Guru hooks. And to be honest I'm thinking of changing from the B560s to the Special Feeders. Just started using the Match Specials and love them too.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The new Matrix hooks look the part as do the new Guru heavy duty barbed and barbless eyed ones just released.

feldri

Site Supporter
The biggest selection of hooks I have are Preston innovations Pinch Barbless in sizes 22 up to 12. Took me months to fill out my hook boxes with these as Preston don't make them/sell them anymore. Scoured Ebay for months to get me sorted. I've now enough of these to last me my lifetime.
I do have others, namely Drennan and Kamasan. Don't intentionally fish for carp so no need to try any others.
All are spade end barbless except for a few packets of Kamasan B640 that have a micro barb that I use for rivers. Can't seem to get them in the shops anymore either.

Silure

Site Supporter
A bit restricted here in France. Sensas hooks are available everywhere and they are rubbish. Local tackle shop now has Guru and Matrix. I have had failures with Matrix as has my friend, so we stick to Guru and must say they are very good.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
A bit restricted here in France. Sensas hooks are available everywhere and they are rubbish. Local tackle shop now has Guru and Matrix. I have had failures with Matrix as has my friend, so we stick to Guru and must say they are very good.

Will never, ever use Matrix hooks again.
Hooks to Nylon snapping at the spade / eye.
Hooks bending, if not snapping clean in half.

Simon90

I find the Guru hooks to be really good. But I still use Kamasan, Drennan, Tubertini and Preston.
Each manufacturer seems to have at least one hook in their range that I prefer above all others.
The Guru MWG and LWG are top class though, especially the ones with that black coating, they just seem to stay sharp forever.
I'm going to give the Guru Kaizen's a try next, they look like a very similar pattern to the Gamakatsu LS 2210B, another good hook.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad just went to the tackle shop for me, I asked him to pick up some size 14 B911s in case I want to fish worm tomorrow, they had none and so gave him some Kaizens instead and first impression is quite good, better than the F1 maggot I bought before. So will give them a try tomorrow if I fish worm.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
My dad just went to the tackle shop for me, I asked him to pick up some size 14 B911s in case I want to fish worm tomorrow, they had none and so gave him some Kaizens instead and first impression is quite good, better than the F1 maggot I bought before. So will give them a try tomorrow if I fish worm.
Use the Kaizans a lot, Not enough to give them a thorough review but so far so good. I love them for expander pellet because they hide perfectly only showing the point.

Just purchased a bunch @ £1.19 each from TackleUK. Size 20's, but I'll make use of them during the colder months

Out of curiosity, What was the issue with the F1 Maggots?

Hope you have a good day tomorrow mate.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Will never, ever use Matrix hooks again.
Hooks to Nylon snapping at the spade / eye.
Hooks bending, if not snapping clean in half.
Was it the old range you had problems with or the entirely new range that has just come out a few months ago ?
The reason I ask was because the customers buying them now are very impressed with the current versions and come back for more.
We did not sell the old range at all so I dont really know about them.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Use the Kaizans a lot, Not enough to give them a thorough review but so far so good. I love them for expander pellet because they hide perfectly only showing the point.

Just purchased a bunch @ £1.19 each from TackleUK. Size 20's, but I'll make use of them during the colder months

Out of curiosity, What was the issue with the F1 Maggots?

Hope you have a good day tomorrow mate.

Cheers re tomorrow. The F1 maggot I found a bit springy as they are very fine wire, nothing wrong with them per se in the right situation but I just hadn't found a use for them yet, ie what they were intended for as the name states. (y) ?

fishcatcher4

I tried the f1 maggot and pellet hooks when they first came out and did not like them at all.

I fished with them in the winter fishing a double 5 elastic with maggots and i had enough straighten out on small f1s and even bream to make me loose all confidence in them.

None of the fish were what you call hard fighting either.

I do like some of the guru hooks though.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I use the F1 Maggot hook on a day ticket stillwater that's stuffed with good roach that few target. It's also stuffed with lunatic carp that run to high doubles and slightly bigger. I only fish it in the winter when the carp are less active and a little less banzai. I use the F1 maggot quite deliberately knowing that if a carp goes absolutely crackers, I can simply clamp up and the hook will spring open and the fish be lost before a line breakage occurs. I have to take a lot of time to land them, but I do land a good proportion of those hooked. If I find the carp end up being a bit too prevalent, I switch to Kaizens.

I consider the F1 Maggot to be a good hook. However, I doubt that they will live up to most people's expectations of their name. Perhaps If the F1s are relatively small and you are fishing in the depths of winter when they are finicky and don't pull as hard. I wouldn't be using them in summer or on a venue where the F1 consistently go 4lb+.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I use the F1 pellet hooks all through the winter,for F1,s , I use them for maggots and pellets, I swap to the LWG in the summer, In winter I fish very light elastics, and haven’t had a hook open up that often