Gunthorpe Lock bans day tickets

Shadrack

Another popular day ticket stretch of the Trent has now gone members only. Sounds like they ended up with a lot of the troublesome anglers from Collingham.

Attachments

• DF8036B8-00AB-4A98-BC77-3C2F44BA8CC2.png
    DF8036B8-00AB-4A98-BC77-3C2F44BA8CC2.png
    415.2 KB · Views: 65

tincatim

Site Supporter
I’ve never fished it but that’s a shame to hear. Seems to be happening more and more now, some great pieces of river will no longer be accessible thanks to the actions of some scum bags 😔

John Step

Site Supporter
Another popular day ticket stretch of the Trent has now gone members only. Sounds like they ended up with a lot of the troublesome anglers from Collingham.
Same sort of thing on Worksop stretch. The trouble migrated from Collingham after the night ban and now there are notices warning of tackle confiscation if caught night fishing which was never allowed in the first place.

Shadrack

It’ll spread to each day ticket stretch in turn, until they all end up members only. It’ll be a shame for the occasional angler, or those who travel to the Trent a few times a year. But that looks to be way things are headed.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
At the risk of being controversial; is it the headline chasers that cause the problems? I mean the ‘anglers’ who descend in droves onto a venue if they hear of a big fish being caught.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
a few will always ruin it for the most but to be fair a members only water should make it safer for all as long as there are enough baliffs etc. this is always the problem though as the few will simply move onto their next target and ruin that as well.

maybe they can offer a week membership or something for travelling anglers though its not fair i know but what else can they do?

Shadrack

At the risk of being controversial; is it the headline chasers that cause the problems? I mean the ‘anglers’ who descend in droves onto a venue if they hear of a big fish being caught.
I think that, mixed in with the influx of new anglers who took it up during COVID. I’m not knocking anyone who wants to start fishing, but in the world of instant gratification and self serving mindset, it’s attracted a lot of people who headed straight to the known big fish stretches and figured it was someone else’s job to clean up after them. Collingham was obviously known for big fish, and Gunthorpe has a resident fish which has been caught at 20lb a few times over the last couple of years.

booboo

Site Supporter
Excuse my ignorance as I'm not into the barbel/river thing, but what is the trouble the 'troublesome anglers' are causing?

Shadrack

Excuse my ignorance as I'm not into the barbel/river thing, but what is the trouble the 'troublesome anglers' are causing?
Issues with weed and alcohol on the bank, large amounts of littering including human waste, excessive noise, rules around access being ignored and gates being left open or blocked. Generally people being idiots and some of the landowners have had enough. They’ve started telling clubs if they don’t crack down on it then they will lose their fishing rights.

Reuben

Site Supporter
It’s a shame. However, it’s easier to understand why syndicated stretches on rivers are becoming more popular when a minority of fools are allowed to ruin stretches. Members only is fine but it won’t stop clowns turning up & being a pain in the hoop without stepping up the bailiffing of the stretch & that’s easier said than done.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Let’s face it, fishing isn’t the priority for these idiots. It’s just a night’s camping on the lash. I’ll bet fish welfare isn’t high on their list of priorities either, even if they do catch anything.