Guitar Effects Pedals.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I must confess I do not play myself, I have tried several times but my broken old hands just cannot get to grips (literally) with playing in any meaningful way.
My youngest daughter however is something special, she plays the flute, piano, clarinet and if you asked her she would probably give you a good tune out of a bin lid!
Talented little *&%T... So now she is on the guitar, my instrument of choice. For her birthday her Mum and I got her a Tanglewood electric acoustic, I wanted the Yamaha but the non knowledgeable mum overruled that decision.. I bought her a mini Marshall practice amp and some decent quality leads to help her on her way and now she is at the stage where I think a half decent set of pedals would bring new meaning to her playing. I remember owning a Boss ME5 set back in the day and I think this would be more beneficial in having multi in one board as opposed to a set of daisy chained single pedals?
Is there anyone within the MD fold that plays and can proffer some advice?
Oh, her voice... wow! So different yet so charming but I would say that, she is my daughter after all.

Cheers all, a now tape free and hair free Munchy

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
An electro-acoustic won't work well with rock overdrive and distortion pedals. However there are pedals that will allow for a lot of fun sounds that will work well with her current guitar and with an electric guitar later. Tanglewood's are as good guitars as any at each price point. I would avoid a "multi-pedal big thing" as it distracts from playing into too much tweaking. They are great for convenience but not the friend of the beginner, there is such a thing as too much choice. Imagine giving a novice angler every float design, hook line and rod ever made, choice overload and burnout is a likely result.

What's the Marshall mini amp? How old is your daughter? What genres does she play? Once I know that I could advise further.

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
Also do you have an electric piano she plays or is it an upright? Some guitar pedals integrate well with keyboards too if there's an output to her amp?

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
The amp is the Mashall MG15, it's not a bad amp but as she progresses I will update and upgrade. This is more of a "look at what you can do" amp than anything else. The whole reason why I wanted to get the Yamaha was that the neck is more like an electric, slightly wider and deeper fretboard, this I thought would make the transition to full electric easier, but I was overruled.
Her music style really is very broad from pure vocal acoustic, she is trying "wish you were here" and a few heavier songs from Steroephonics to Beth Hart on the vocal side and kind of finding her groove, her own thing.
She can read music, that's a big bonus but she will happily sit for hours just twiddling away.. Then she throws a vocal in and I just go WOW!

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
She has a full size Yamaha keyboard that has all the midi inputs and 5.5mm in out. I remember owning a fostex 4 track tape recorder. Now it's all built in to the modern FX pedals... She just got an A* in her music exam as every month she would turn up with a different instrument and play it. Bongo drums was her last one.
Talented daughter and I want to see her fulfil her potential or go as far as she wants to, no pressure, just enjoy music.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Have a look on the site GearSpace mate. I don't play guitar but love effects. I gave up after buying a couple of hardware Reverbs, Chorus, Distortion etc as I found I can do a lot more on a computer, with big long chains of plugins or even Pedal Boards like Native Instruments Guitar Rig. She should be able to record using something like Logic or Garage Band that these plugins work on too.

JayBee

Site Supporter
The best pedal I have used for an electro acoustic guitar is a BBE Acoustimax, it can enhance and alter tonal response, but keeps the guitar sounding like an acoustic.
I could part with mine if you're interested £80 posted.

Last edited:

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
15watts is loud man! I run a 5w at home,

I reckon you likely should get her creative (but fun) tools rather than have her chasing a fictional perfect sound. Also she shouldn't be limiting what she does with her electro acoustic.

1. A Looper pedal as that's an amazing practice tool to play over your own backing and can be used as a temporary mini multi-track to a point. 2 inputs and keep an eye out for a cheap Shure SM57 or SM58 mic.
2. Delay of some sort for amazing sounds from any guitar. Especially an electro-acoustic.
3. Chorus and/or Reverb and/or Flanger and/or Phaser and/or Tremolo in that order.

Get her a carpet tile from one of your jobs, stick it to a matching sized square of mdf with contact adhesive spray and get some velcro cable ties some hook and loop sticky back tape and an isolated power supply (eBay item number 164191630829 is a good cheap option) it'll save a lot of bother later.

Multi pedals aren't a bad thing but I would avoid an all in one everything. a few mini multis could be better.

Last edited:

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
Electro Harmonix Epitom3 (EHX Epitome) | eBay is a great mini multi. Was rrp £339, street about £290, new. If you snapped this at less than half that it would allow her to get 12string alike sounds through the mini POG, flanger and chorus through the electric mistress and reverb from the Grail plus bit. Decent FX aint cheap, but if you bought that for less than £150 it'd be a steal and resell at at least that later. Would stack at the back end of her keyboard 5.5mm out to her Marshall too. Would work with her keys too you can get a decent Leslie speaker style sound (think Deep Purple / Doors sounds if her keyboard has electric piano organ sounds out of the Electric Mistress. AS usual EHX have a great demo vid and show you the settings to use if you watch and pause the video. Has a sort of delay built in too.

Run the Video by her and see what she thinks?

Can't see a decent deal on a Delay or Looper at the moment but I'll keep an eye.

Last edited:

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I'm reluctant to post a video on here due to her youth and I would obviously need her permission before I would do such a thing. I did forget to mention that she also plays ukulele, her rendition of Mr Lover man brought me to tears on Christmas day.
The plan now, thanks to the advice is we are heading to PMT on Kirkstall road for a bit of a play.. Well I say we, I mean her obviously as my muffin mitts are beyond anything musical. Regarding the Mic, coming from a TV/Film background she already has a pretty expensive Shure Mic... When I heard that voice open up... I called in a favour.

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
Electro Harmonix Epitom3 (EHX Epitome) | eBay is a great mini multi. [...]

Can't see a decent deal on a Delay or Looper at the moment but I'll keep an eye.
I read up the manual - actually the Delay in that pedal is pretty good 25-590ms (and it has clever integration with the octave generator). Let me know if you don't bid as I might chance a bargain price, but don't want to bid aginst you...

[...] Regarding the Mic, coming from a TV/Film background she already has a pretty expensive Shure Mic... When I heard that voice open up... I called in a favour.
Then a Looper pedal with 2 inputs would allow her to beat-box or woodblock or beat a drum backing track through that mic, guitar through the other.

Lovely to think of a young person developing an ability to play music and a skill to enjoy for life. Right thing to be supporting that.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I only ever use an old Boss CE-2 Chorus pedal (80’s) on my electro acoustic, all I’ve ever needed but for my electrics like my tele I will never part with my Boss GT-6, also have a GT-6B for my bass.

As far as modelling stompboxes go they are bomb proof and endlessly tweakable. Mine have been gigged to death and still going strong after 15+ years of hard service.

Last edited:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Missed the amp bit sorry :

I have a gorgeous Fender 5W valve amp (50th birthday gift from my brother-in-law who is a recording tech) - it’s a ‘57 Custom Champ.

It is ludicrously expensive but simply has the most incredible tone with either my electro-acoustic or my tele. 5W may not sound like much but is too much for home if it’s cranked up and the point of it is that it can easily be mic’d up for use in a band / gig environment and more than hold it’s own.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I'm reluctant to post a video on here due to her youth and I would obviously need her permission before I would do such a thing. I did forget to mention that she also plays ukulele, her rendition of Mr Lover man brought me to tears on Christmas day.
The plan now, thanks to the advice is we are heading to PMT on Kirkstall road for a bit of a play.. Well I say we, I mean her obviously as my muffin mitts are beyond anything musical. Regarding the Mic, coming from a TV/Film background she already has a pretty expensive Shure Mic... When I heard that voice open up... I called in a favour.

Never been a fan of Shure mics - I know SM 58’s are regarded as industry standard - I far prefer Sennheiser for tone and response.

The Senny equivalent of the SM58 is an e835 and we upgraded all the Shures in our last two churches with Sennheiser for the choir soloists and the worship group singers - it genuinely makes a marked difference particularly for female voices.

My Louise has her own mic which is a Sennheiser e935 and that is super sweet coping with vocals as diverse as Handel’s Messiah or heavy rock style worship through gentle ballad style hymns with ease.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If your daughter ever considers a bit of busking or gigging then have a look at the Roland Cube Street which is another super amp combo.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
@Wrongfoot that seems an ideal pedal, I don't either want to get into a bidding war so if you want it go for it. I won't bid against you.
Her voice has really matured and has a natural mid husky tone followed by a effortless mid /high vibrato.
I will see if she will allow me to upload... I suspect not and I have to respect her decision.
I do have ideas on how to, erm not push her, but guide her. She has taken influences from the greats and is using them to make her own way.
Artists that influence? Anyone that can play! I brought musicians into my girls lives, no Timmy Mallet or Spice Whores, if you want pure musicians. Vivaldi, Bach, all the old classical composers followed by the greatest bands and guitarists of all time. They rock out in the car to AC/DC, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers, Ozzy, but then they also love the blues, the 3 kings, Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa being a major attraction then comes Beth Hart who given her checkered past, rise and fall and rise again is a major influence.
Music is such a natural thing for all of us and all of us appreciate a man or woman stood there, alone with no support and they just play , sing or do both and send their hearts out.
At work I'm trying to educate @Dave . He likes to listen to "crinckly old" Gold.... Me, I'm Planet Rock 🤟

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Never been a fan of Shure mics - I know SM 58’s are regarded as industry standard - I far prefer Sennheiser for tone and response.

The Senny equivalent of the SM58 is an e835 and we upgraded all the Shures in our last two churches with Sennheiser for the choir soloists and the worship group singers - it genuinely makes a marked difference particularly for female voices.

My Louise has her own mic which is a Sennheiser e935 and that is super sweet coping with vocals as diverse as Handel’s Messiah or heavy rock style worship through gentle ballad style hymns with ease.
This I would truly love to hear. Please make it happen. Handel's Messiah by your choir. I've Goosebumps just in the anticipation!!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
This I would truly love to hear. Please make it happen. Handel's Messiah by your choir. I've Goosebumps just in the anticipation!!

Our church choir has been very badly impacted by Covid and lockdowns so Lou (musical director) is in the process of beginning to rebuild it. She is also regularly called upon to assist other choirs as a singer - it‘s a running gag in our house that whenever a cathedral pops up on TV her first response will normally be “sung there” :giggle:

Lou has a degree in music with voice as her first “instrument” and like your daughter has an ability to pick up any instrument and make it look like she’s played it forever & teaches use in her school. She was formerly also a member of the BBC Symphony Chorus until Jacob came along. She’s the only person I’ve ever met who can sight read a piece of music and sing it in Latin.

Summer BBQ’s prior to Covid used to involve many of our friends rocking up, bringing instruments along and we’d sit around a fire pit jamming well into the dark.