Guinness

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Guinness in the winter. Cider in the summer.
Guinness down here is not the best, have to travel to Hartland Point for the best pint, which means 1 only 🤨

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s my last resort drink if a place has no decent ales. Thats rarely an issue most of the year but when some places switch to the grim dark winter beers it can be hard to find a decent pint in some places so that’s when Guinness is a life saver. If a place hasn’t even got Guinness let alone nice ales I just won’t drink as can’t be doing lager or cider they just don’t agree with me.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Not sure if its just my taste, but don't think draught Guinness is the drink it used to be; always seems to me to be a lot thinner without as much character and taste. Not helped of course by lots of places selling it far too cold.
Still usually my drink of choice where there's no handpumps on the bar or where the only choice is DoomBar or something by Greene King. (the latter increasingly the case around Uxbridge where I used to live, and, I expect, elsewhere)
Bottled still seems about the same though, and it's easier than it used to be to get hold of the Foreign Extra version (brewed in Nigeria) which is lovely but, being 7.5% , best treated carefully....

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Biggest Guinness consumers are the UK.

1. UK
2. Nigeria
3. Ireland
4. USA
5. Cameroon
:ROFLMAO: Can’t believe Nigeria is above Ireland.

Even looked into getting a tap set up in the house. Nice idea but total fantasy. Bit complicated and expensive really with the co2 and nitrogen equipment :unsure::confused:

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Guinness in the winter. Cider in the summer.
Guinness down here is not the best, have to travel to Hartland Point for the best pint, which means 1 only 🤨
:love: Cider, but that was one of my downfalls too acidic for my stomach :cry:

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
I'm not a big drinker. So hopefully be fine. Neighbour has just done some homebrew cider so that will need tasting shortly 😀
I used to love several Magners (there’s that Irish connection again) with loads of ice on a hot summers evening bbq with friends. :cool:(y)(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Can you get Guinness on that or do you need nitrogen gas.
Don't know about Guinness but the kegs we get don't need gas. Only problem is you pay a premium price for the kegs.

There's only a small selection of stouts on their site but I'm sure we had a few different ones, maybe they were just dark lagers. I remember some that blew my head off.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
1641500644345.png

templegater

Site Supporter
Was a bitter drinker at first, used to love the walkers brew. Drank mild and mixed nobody seemed to drink lager them days. Went to ireland fishing the Bann in 1982 and been hooked on the black stuff since.
Like Murphys too, if you ever go to cork everyones on it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Like Murphys too, if you ever go to cork everyones on it.
I’ve never come across Murphys in a pub how does it compare to Guinness taste and texture wise? Cork is a place I’d like to go though, plenty of pubs and good fishing and all that!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
:love: Cider, but that was one of my downfalls too acidic for my stomach :cry:
Yep I can’t drink cider as it rots my guts, you know it’s bad when your own guffs are unbearable! It’s not too bad an affliction as I don’t like most ciders anyway but do quite like a few of the lilleys range.

davylad

Site Supporter
Southern Ireland for me is the best Guinness I've had, but in NI it was no better than in my local. I too had a pint in Raffles and didn't like the taste at all, different water and maybe a required taste.

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Arguably the best pint of Guinness in Liverpool. Shenanigans bar 😍
1BF493A0-B7B7-462E-9BE8-4E10B19F5EE3.jpeg