Guinness

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Early last year I had a bad bout of gastritis which was caused by several factors one being excess alcohol. I laid off the sauce for 3months while my stomach repaired itself.

When I eventually had a drink again I went down the route of Bud Light. Something easy on the stomach but a terrible drink reminds me of mildly alcoholic soda water. I was soon looking for an alternative. My son had bought 4 cans of draught Guinness a while back but he didn't like it. I've never liked Guinness only having a mandatory pint of the black stuff on trips to Ireland. So I poured one. It was a revelation!!! The taste associated with it after drinking Bud Light was unbelievable and only an abv of 4.1 compared to a Buds 3.5.
That was it I was hooked and have since only really drank Guinness and absolutely love it, and to be honest all things Guinness have become a bit of a hobby.

Is anybody else into the black stuff :beer-toast1:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I'm a confirmed lager lout. However when I knock off on a Sunday afternoon & have a few games of darts with the lads, I enjoy a couple of pints of Guinness.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
There are loads of superb stouts out there now and in my opinion a lot better tasting than Guinness , Lidl do a few now and again which are nice.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Love Guinness, pretty much all I drink when I’m out, apart from a gin and tonic. Don’t really like the canned black stuff, never tastes the same at home 🍺

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I drink draught Guinness when out in Oxford, don't like the extra cold stuff,
Not keen on the bottled stuff either.
At one time Guinness did a bitter in tins that was good

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
I'm a confirmed lager lout. However when I knock off on a Sunday afternoon & have a few games of darts with the lads, I enjoy a couple of pints of Guinness.
The chap in the know ;) do you pour a quality pint of Guinness at your establishment. The best by me is probably the Jug and Bottle up in Heswall

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
As a youngster I used to drink a lot of Guinness and Black. Never been a fan of the stuff on its own mind.

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Love Guinness, pretty much all I drink when I’m out, apart from a gin and tonic. Don’t really like the canned black stuff, never tastes the same at home 🍺
My thoughts exactly I've looked into a few things online to recreate the perfect pint of Guinness at home

BTMS

Site Supporter
Love the black stuff. Surprising thing is the best pint I had of it was in Singapore in Raffles!!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There are loads of superb stouts out there now and in my opinion a lot better tasting than Guinness , Lidl do a few now and again which are nice.
We got a load of kegs of stouts for our tap at home last summer, potent stuff some of them around 8%.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Never say never ;)
After ordering a pint, then taking one mouthful and wasting the rest, I won't be having another. I'm both a poor pensioner...and from Yorkshire, so my pennies on that stuff will stay in my pocket. :giggle:

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
If anyone goes to Hunstanton in Norfolk go to Quiglys bar its the best pint of Guinness i have had in England and on par with a Guinness in Ireland.

Total

Site Supporter
After ordering a pint, then taking one mouthful and wasting the rest, I won't be having another. I'm both a poor pensioner...and from Yorkshire, so my pennies on that stuff will stay in my pocket. :giggle:
:censored::censored:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The chap in the know ;) do you pour a quality pint of Guinness at your establishment. The best by me is probably the Jug and Bottle up in Heswall
So I'm told :)
Guinness used to call in once a year, test the temperature, measure the size of the head & give you a wall plaque if you passed.
They stopped doing it a couple of years ago although they're the only brewer who give all their equipment an annual service.