Grumpy fair weather anglers

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Some of the danglers at my local water are starting to make me laugh out loud on a regular basis and it‘s all because of the nice weather.

With a working hours rota introduction I have spent every weekday morning from 5:30-7:00 fishing before going in to work - all through the winter I had the lake to myself every session and caught well, now the weather has warmed up I still have the lake to myself at crack of sparrows but no other anglers start to appear before I leave.

In my 90 minute stints I am averaging 5 carp between 4lb & 8lb on a bog basic bomb rig, double hair rigged 8mm pellets to a size 12 QM1 surrounded in a ball of paste (conker style as recommended by several Drowners on another thread) swung 3-4 rod lengths out. By the time I’m heading away small shoals of carp are seen to be cruising just below the surface soaking up the sun.

I drop by on the way home for a bit of a litter pick and natter and that’s when the laughing starts.

Almost without fail the response to my “how’s it going” question is “there’s no blinking fish in this blinking lake they must have blinking netted the blinkers out - not had a blinking bite all afternoon”, “but how often are you recasting?” I ask, “well I’m not mate, it’s a carp rig, innit!”.

It‘s the whole scenario of looking at a water and seeing the surface awash with cruising fish yet still pinging a single bait out nailed to the deck and expecting a bite - why on earth would you ?

Yesterday I popped by after work and I had Jacob‘s 10’ waggler rod in the car plus a little pot of 8mm expanders (dry) - banded a pellet to a size 14 QM1 with approx 4’ of greased line to a 2BB crystal waggler banded top and bottom for a little casting weight. Lots of anglers on the water but one peg free so in went half a dozen expanders near a group of cruising carp, repeated twice and watched them getting hoovered before flipping out my hooked offering and whoosh, off went the line & float as a 5lb common went Usain Bolt’ing it around the lake scaring the wotsits out of the bivvy brigade.

Repeat 3 times - bank 3 fish all around the same size - head to grandma’s for dinner and cuddles with Jacob feeling tremendously smug.

It’s not a poke at carp anglers per se but rather bemusement at any anglers who would rigidly stick to a method when it’s obvious the fish are going to be looking for something else.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Some of the danglers at my local water are starting to make me laugh out loud on a regular basis and it‘s all because of the nice weather.

With a working hours rota introduction I have spent every weekday morning from 5:30-7:00 fishing before going in to work - all through the winter I had the lake to myself every session and caught well, now the weather has warmed up I still have the lake to myself at crack of sparrows but no other anglers start to appear before I leave.

In my 90 minute stints I am averaging 5 carp between 4lb & 8lb on a bog basic bomb rig, double hair rigged 8mm pellets to a size 12 QM1 surrounded in a ball of paste (conker style as recommended by several Drowners on another thread) swung 3-4 rod lengths out. By the time I’m heading away small shoals of carp are seen to be cruising just below the surface soaking up the sun.

I drop by on the way home for a bit of a litter pick and natter and that’s when the laughing starts.

Almost without fail the response to my “how’s it going” question is “there’s no blinking fish in this blinking lake they must have blinking netted the blinkers out - not had a blinking bite all afternoon”, “but how often are you recasting?” I ask, “well I’m not mate, it’s a carp rig, innit!”.

It‘s the whole scenario of looking at a water and seeing the surface awash with cruising fish yet still pinging a single bait out nailed to the deck and expecting a bite - why on earth would you ?

Yesterday I popped by after work and I had Jacob‘s 10’ waggler rod in the car plus a little pot of 8mm expanders (dry) - banded a pellet to a size 14 QM1 with approx 4’ of greased line to a 2BB crystal waggler banded top and bottom for a little casting weight. Lots of anglers on the water but one peg free so in went half a dozen expanders near a group of cruising carp, repeated twice and watched them getting hoovered before flipping out my hooked offering and whoosh, off went the line & float as a 5lb common went Usain Bolt’ing it around the lake scaring the wotsits out of the bivvy brigade.

Repeat 3 times - bank 3 fish all around the same size - head to grandma’s for dinner and cuddles with Jacob feeling tremendously smug.

It’s not a poke at carp anglers per se but rather bemusement at any anglers who would rigidly stick to a method when it’s obvious the fish are going to be looking for something else.
That made me laugh mate. I see it happen regular on the club waters. I tried giving advice to 4 or 5 members that were obviously there as a bunch, the answer I got back? "Can't tell us how to fish this lake mate, we been fishing it for over 20 years..." they all blanked.

In the middle of this conversation, a young lad aged about 13 or 14 and dad turned up and gave me a nice greeting and pleasantries were exchanged. They pegged up at the side of these others and in 10 minutes had 3 fish between them. "What bait you using pal?" was a question thrown at them by one of the the 'elders'. "My dad's using maggot, and I'm using luncheon meat fished at only 6 or 7 inch deep". "Nah" said another of these 'elder anglers', "you'll do nowt on that", you're not fishing deep enough"...Just then, the lad was on a real rod bender and his dad had to help him.

"You're just lucky" mumbled another of the 4 or 5. "No" said the lad, "I've been watching the water and noticed the fish coming up, something you lot should have noticed..you've all fished here long enough".

Robwooly

I like these people who fish on the bottom regardless as it leaves plenty of fish for us lot. Even bream are up on the surface, tench too at times, crucians, big roach naturally them chaps are up top on intercept too now it's warmed up.

One thing people don't realise is often pin prick bubbles are caused by surface feeding fish, I had them bubbling in my swim the other week and had the local expert tell me I need to fish method to them(I always get genius advice as I just turn up with a stool and look like a novice). I hadn't the heart to tell him I'd already had a dozen carp and twenty odd bream on the surface or just below. The bubbles were the fish eating my bread, by the time he'd got to the next fella to tell him how to fish I was into another, just by casting shallow to a patch of bubbles, not sure if Bubble Muggin' is a term but hey ho it works.

Silver fan 82

It’s not a poke at carp anglers per se but rather bemusement at any anglers who would rigidly stick to a method when it’s obvious the fish are going to be looking for something else
Yep, see it all the time.
I wonder how many of these "carp anglers" ever fish a zig rig this time of year. Can be devastating on it's day.
Some fish floaters but this usually involves chucking out a whole loaf as losses feed with a whole slice on the hook or a hundred weight of mixers dumped into the lake at the annoyance of others.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
There’s definitely an element wii hi o are “loaf of bread” merchants but all they attract is swarms of gulls :LOL: