Grumble Time - DVLA

Maverick

Despite there being a website with a simple online form to report untaxed cars on the road the DVLA do absolutely nothing about it and are happy for untaxed cars to drive about on our roads. No matter how many times you report it they do nothing.

Went online to do a bit of googling and wasn't surprised to find many more folk grumbling about the same issue. If a car's mot has also expired thats not the DVLA's problem. You have to report it to the Police who arn't interested unless they actually catch the car being driven on the road with their ANPR checks.

Reports also suggest that a vehicle with no tax or mot is also likely to be uninsured.

The website is there so the public can help the DVLA to track down these vehicles and get them off the roads, many even suggest that some of these vehicles may be used in other crimes.

Why don't the DVLA follow up on these reports and remove these vehicles instead of ignoring them?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Over here, in ireland, you have to display tax, nct (mot) and insurance on your windscreen.

Trogg

the bouncer
Site Supporter
We had a guy who lived in the next street who decided the nice new residents carpark would make a great forecourt for his carsales.

As soon as one of us moved he'd bring in another car and park it up, in the end we got fed up and comolained to the council...who weren't interested.

We tried the police, only interested if they were on the road.

Tried the DVLA, i even volunteered to screenshot the Tax, MOT and MIDB pages (last one is illegal) to prove the vehicles had no tax, no mot and no insurance so they could all be sent to the DVLA as proof.

Nothing ever done about it and the cars were being sold and replaced all the time, then i had a brainwave, the multistorey flats opposite have cctv, told the police, i thought 'they'll be able to use the footage as evidence' ...wrong, still not interested.

We have a small 3 storey block of flats right next to the carpark and one of the residence was a lovely fella, bit of a nutjob who didn't like being disturbed.

He decided he was fed up of having these cars revving up, laughing, loud talking and music blaring at all hours.

So he walks out with a sledgehammer and smashes all the glass in the cars, if it had a for sale sign in it he smashed the glass, windscreens, side windows, rear windows, lights anything that was glass got smashed.
Funny thing is though, there were no witnesses!!

The cars were all moved by scrapmen, the glass all over the carpark was swept up and binned by a fella who lives in the flats next to the carpark.
According to one of the neighbours he just came out with a brush and started sweeping it up, she said he must have been a happy bloke because he was smiling all the time he was sweeping, and the carpark has never had a for sale sign seen in it since!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've had issues with DVLA a couple of times, they're bloody useless. On two occasions, I got rid of a car.....one that I sold to a dealer for cash & bought a cheaper one off them. The second one I scrapped as it was going to cost a fortune to get repaired. On both occasions, the DVLA accused me of not sending them the paperwork & threatened me with fines, even sending the cases to debt collectors. I definitely did send the paperwork on both occasions. The first time, the dealer had all the forms ready & I posted them from the postbox opposite the dealers as I left. The second occasion, as the scrap fella was leaving, I put the paperwork in an envelope & walked to the post box at the end of our road. He even laughed & commented that I was "keen".
Moral of the story is, always send it recorded delivery because it's a common problem apparently.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Must be a different DVLA contractor here in South Kent then,

you quite often see cars that have been clamped with a big sticker on the front windscreen stating its untaxed, after a day or so, a lorry comes around and removes the car and takes it over to a storage yard at Sandwich

to get the car back, you have to tax it, prove its insured, pay the recovery and storage fees, failure to do so sees the car either sold on at auction if its got any intrinsic value or crushed

TrickyD

Site Supporter
We had a guy who lived in the next street who decided the nice new residents carpark would make a great forecourt for his carsales.

As soon as one of us moved he'd bring in another car and park it up, in the end we got fed up and comolained to the council...who weren't interested.

Tried the DVLA, i even volunteered to screenshot the Tax, MOT and MIDB pages (last one is illegal) to prove the vehicles had no tax, no mot and no insurance so they could all be sent to the DVLA as proof.

Nothing ever done about it and the cars were being sold and replaced all the time, then i had a brainwave, the multistorey flats opposite have cctv, told the police, i thought 'they'll be able to use the footage as evidence' ...wrong, still not interested.

We have a small 3 storey block of flats right next to the carpark and one of the residence was a lovely fella, bit of a nutjob who didn't like being disturbed.

He decided he was fed up of having these cars revving up, laughing, loud talking and music blaring at all hours.

So he walks out with a sledgehammer and smashes all the glass in the cars, if it had a for sale sign in it he smashed the glass, windscreens, side windows, rear windows, lights anything that was glass got smashed.

The cars were all moved by scrapmen, the glass all over the carpark was swept up and binned by a fella who lives in the flats next to the carpark.
According to one of the neighbours he just came out with a brush and started sweeping it up, she said he must have been a happy bloke because he was smiling all the time he was sweeping, and the carpark has never had a for sale sign seen in it since!
You could contact DWP or HMRC, they may have been interested.

bluemack

Site Supporter

We have a similar situation here,we have a tosspot of a neighbour that keeps Jags their are 8 of them dotted around
and he does,nt do anything with them the have just sat there falling apart (none of them taxed) for at least 10 years.
A lot of the neighbours have complained to the police and the DVLA and like your situation they are not interested.
When anyone tries to have a word with him they get a torrent of abuse,the most annoying thing is apparently they
are his son,s cars and he lives nowhere here.SO what can you do?

banksitter

Stewpot.
Site Supporter
Only three days ago I saw one down our road with a clamp on, and a posted sticker saying no tax. First one in years.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
I've got grumbles with DVLA but it's about my licence.

Sent off licence end of March with the D4 medical form to have some HGV provisional entitlements added and heard nothing since :unsure:

I know theres some industrial action cracking off + covid but it's taking the p**** aren't truck drivers key workers? You'd think they would want more of them rather than spotty teenage oiks clogging up the roads.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
We have a similar situation here,we have a tosspot of a neighbour that keeps Jags their are 8 of them dotted around
and he does,nt do anything with them the have just sat there falling apart (none of them taxed) for at least 10 years.
A lot of the neighbours have complained to the police and the DVLA and like your situation they are not interested.
When anyone tries to have a word with him they get a torrent of abuse,the most annoying thing is apparently they
are his son,s cars and he lives nowhere here.SO what can you do?
Couple of pints of petrol and a match. Nothing gets a car moved quicker by the council.
Don't ask me how I know.