Growing Pumpkins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker
We've started growing our own pumpkins for the kids Halloween Party later this year. Only sowed the seeds a week or so ago and they're now ready to be transplanted to bigger pots.

Question: Will they grow as good in pots as we have no free ground to put them in or will they be restricted in size.

Any tips on looking after them, feeding etc?

Cheers[:D]

Howard1961

Longdog
I'm afraid they will be restricted in pots, but try planting them in grow bags, say 2 plants to a bag. Pumpkins are very hungry plants and need plenty of plant food and water.

geofflukins

Agreed. You would need a very very big pot for a pumpkin and they need a lot of water and compost.

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker
Originally posted by Howard1961

I'm afraid they will be restricted in pots, but try planting them in grow bags, say 2 plants to a bag. Pumpkins are very hungry plants and need plenty of plant food and water.

Ahhhh great idea, thanks[:T]

Is there anyway of protecting them from slugs etc, If they're outside I'll have to have them on a bed of slate??

Howard1961

Longdog
Originally posted by Marvin Waggler

Originally posted by Howard1961

Ahhhh great idea, thanks[:T]

Is there anyway of protecting them from slugs etc, If they're outside I'll have to have them on a bed of slate??

Just sprinkle some slug pellets around the plants. You find that when they're established the slugs won't go for them because the plant gets quite tough.

jods

http://www.free-for-kids.com/pumpkin-in-grow-bag.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.