Groundbaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian White

Big E
Can anyone tell me if i can mix groundbait and then freeze it.or is it beter to mix when i get to my peg on the day,Also would you use tap water or the water from the venue you where fishing.
All the best,and goodluck.

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hello mate,
I am told that u can freeze ground bait (but i never do) I always mix mine on the bank. It is the first thing i do before i set up, after setting up i go back to the ground bait and add more water if required free offerings ie squats,casters,sweetcorn etc. I Never use tap water because tap water contains chlorine and i don't think the fish like it. Hope this helps

tight lines

Ray

martin.

Account Locked
hi Ian
most groundbaits can be frozen but i normally only use thawed out for prebaiting or balling in.
all my ground bait i mix the night before but leave out the loosefeed/particals but im normally orginising draw ect which means im last down to my peg

tight lines.
martin.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ian and welcome on board icon_smile_big.gif

I have a small reputation regarding my use of groundbait and it's not all true, honest icon_smile.gif

The best way that I have found is to mix it on the day, pre-mixing can and often does result in it becoming stoddgy or having to add more water to it anyway.

Depending on the mix that I want here are a few methods that I use. All are mixed before tackling up using water from the venue.

- For method feeding. Add a half pint of water to a clean bowl, add the mix on top and start fingering it together until a slightly wet consistancy is acheived. Allow it to stand and soak in before adding a sprinkle more water and again mixing but this time you are looking for a stiff mix. Add the freebies at this stage.

- For cupping. Again water first in the bowl but this time just enough to cover the bottom. Sprinke the grounbait over the water until full covered and lift the groundbait mixing it gently until a damp mix is obtained. Again allow to stand. When ready, riddle the mix which should by now be dryish to remove any lumps.
The mix should be firm enough just to hold together and nothing more.

- For handballing. As above but just slightly damper. If you have to 'ball it any distance, form the ball in your hands and then 'glaze' it with water. To do this wet your hands and smooth them around the ball, you'll find that they ball will hold together better until impact.

- For cloud bait. Put the groundbait in the bowl first after riddling it to remove heavy particles then spay water over the top using a spray bottle fluffing the mix as you go. Allow to stand and before using it repeat. The mix wants to be dry and should hold together if pinched but explode when it hits the surface. If it's too wet it will sink too quickly.

Most of the above can be adapted to suit the conditions but don't mix more than you can use in 3 hours as you'll loose the consistancy.
I find as well that the fold-up bowls are pretty good as they offer a wide bowl with minimum baggage.

Any comments about cement mixers will be deleted, lol icon_smile_tongue.gif

Dave

Alnath

if i am going night fishing i usualy make it up at home but for the reason Ray pointed out with the chlorine i fill a bucket up the day before and let it stand outside, any nastys should have evaporated off when i come to use it. You could always collect rain water and use that. Dont forget to keep the premixed groundbait in an air tight container though or it will just dry out and you will have to start adding water over again. If you are using corn out of cans (states the obvious time) use all the juice out of the cans in the mix and if you are putting some samples in the mix mash half the corn up so all the flavour is there but not the bulk.

John
Its not what you have got, it's how you use it icon_smile_wink.gif

Adam S

Account Locked
hello

ian, i often freeze ground bait, leftovers from a session, breadcrumb , pre-mixed if i cant get out to a planned session etc . i find that frozen ground bait and pre mixed stuff does loose some of its quality (like becoming stodgy as stated above) so the stuff i freeze is usually just for prebaiting when im not too worried about the quality.

if you mix up groundbait the night before it might become a bit less active and loose its fizz , but this is what i want sometimes, when bream fishing for example.as for the chlorine i agree with the above posters, it wont make your baits any more attractive so its probably best to avoid it. gods knows i hate the stuff.

good luck
adam

The tench shall inherit the earth.

http://communities.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

Status
Not open for further replies.