Groundbait Whisk

Maverick

Site Supporter
Love then or hate them they are widely used for mixing groundbait it appears.

Is it true that if you mix your groundbait with a whisk there is no need to riddle it as all the lumps are removed?

emmaemma

Site Supporter
There are certainly less lumps when whisked and it puts air into the mix. It does a better and quicker mix than by hand in my opinion.

buygoodtackle

A lot depends on the groundbait - a high biscuit content will leave lumps as will any thing with a high fat content. I tend to mix by hand and riddle unless I am doing large quantities - 3kg+, then I will use a drill but may do the mix in 2-3 lots rather than all at once.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If I am using a whisk i would not normally bother with a riddle as the balling in groundbaits I would be mixing are well known to me so lumps are rare and as its for balling in the odd lump in 3 or 4 kg is not going to matter anyway.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
The whisk does a way better job imo but its noisy and another heavy object to carry unless you mix at home

Nicky Dodds

Whisk all day long. True it is extra weight and bulk to carry but for me the positives far outweigh the negatives regarding the end texture the speed of mixing and the time saved during setting up period. My bream feeder mixes can be done at home but some of us are old school and like to mix our roach mixes on the bank. Regarding the type of whisk I find the ones with loads of wires hard work even though they do the job adequately. Home made ones with just 4 wires in the shape of upturned goalposts get into the mix quicker and aerate it better and don't try to fire as much out of the bucket.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use one of these most of the time. Keeps your hands and nails clean as well.
As l rarely use more than 1kg it does the job well. 15721144627725822103344780578672.jpg

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Very very well as it is designed to do just that, ask any baker ! I have been using a version of this (it's my kitchen one ) for about 30 years, the one I'm using now is about 4 years old and cost 50p

Maverick

Site Supporter
Very very well as it is designed to do just that, ask any baker ! I have been using a version of this (it's my kitchen one ) for about 30 years, the one I'm using now is about 4 years old and cost 50p

Only use small mixes myself Steve and thats a great idea about keeping your hands and nails clean. For anyone mixing small amounts at home I see Argos do an electric version with 2 whisks for just £8.99 also.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Only use small mixes myself Steve and thats a great idea about keeping your hands and nails clean. For anyone mixing small amounts at home I see Argos do an electric version with 2 whisks for just £8.99 also.
Yes it's difficult to find a plug point on the bank ???

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Will give this a go next time I have a chance will be nice to have hands that don't look like i work in a coal mine :)

Gwillim

Always prep mine in a washing up bowl at home before i go ;) and have a spray bottle for damping down as needed once on the bank :)
With my limited mobility and seizures I try to stay away from edge of the bank /peg as much as possible :)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use a folding bucket on a rope to get water due to not being able to kneel down for the last ten years. Also always mix mine on the bank as can never be sure what mix I'm going to need.