Groundbait sieve

commieboy257

Is it me or are they flaming expensive? I'm not tight but I reckon someone's having the tackle tarts and brand fan boys well over a barrel with this scam.
I still need one though, Maver green please :LOL:

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
They're not even expensive, They're just expensive for what they are! This is the reason why I still have lumpy groundbait :ROFLMAO: Gonna have to bite the bullet soon though.

Reuben

Site Supporter
You can pick a sieve at most garden centres. Everything doesn’t have to be a fishing brand name to do exactly the same job at less than half the price......

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Or the other way round .....

Considering the lifespan I've got out of my sensas bucket bowl and sieve it was cheap. I also used it for sieving out the soil and detritus that had accumulated over 20 years when I relaid a large area of gravel in the garden. Enough to fill a metre cubed bag! :) :)

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Cheapest I found (fishing brand) was a lime green one, Matrix I believe?

Simon R

Site Supporter
The Sensas ones are only a tenner - come in pinkie or maggot mesh
Last years so long as it doesn't get rusty

Simon

commieboy257

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Picked up a second hand Sensas round one with the bucket for a tenner and if I’m honest I would definitely pay full price if I needed to replace it as it’s an excellent bit of kit

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've never understood the logic of riddling groundbait to remove lumps only to press it onto a method feeder or squeeze it into a ball afterwards therefore creating a bigger lump.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I've never understood the logic of riddling groundbait to remove lumps only to press it onto a method feeder or squeeze it into a ball afterwards therefore creating a bigger lump.

I wonder if it’s to ensure there are no large dry lumps in the mix that would clog the feeder or form a cloud when you didn’t want one ?

I must admit I thought they were over priced for what they are, however I bit the bullet and bought the green 3mm Preston one. I don't really use it for sieving wet groundbait but as I make my own from sheep nuts, bran etc, it's great for sieving out larger lumps that the blender has missed that can be blended again, if you require a fine mix.

I did have a good search around the garden centres, diy shops etc, but could not find one with a fine enough mesh for my needs. I found any kitchen related utensil colander, sieve or alike was to small for my requirement.

I'm more than happy with it and wouldn't want to be without it now, also as already pointed out it's only one lay out as it will last me a life time.

commieboy257

I must admit I thought they were over priced for what they are, however I bit the bullet and bought the green 3mm Preston one. I don't really use it for sieving wet groundbait but as I make my own from sheep nuts, bran etc, it's great for sieving out larger lumps that the blender has missed that can be blended again, if you require a fine mix.

I did have a good search around the garden centres, diy shops etc, but could not find one with a fine enough mesh for my needs. I found any kitchen related utensil colander, sieve or alike was to small for my requirement.

I'm more than happy with it and wouldn't want to be without it now, also as already pointed out it's only one lay out as it will last me a life time.
Yeah I'm just being tight. I tried the garden ones, too big, domestic ones, too small, sounds like goldilocks here, so I'll just have to get santa, or satan depending how you spell it, to put me one in my stocking.
I also make my own seriously lumpy groundbait from layers pellets, liquid bread and all sorts of heinous things to avoid spending money :)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Is it me or are they flaming expensive? I'm not tight but I reckon someone's having the tackle tarts and brand fan boys well over a barrel with this scam.
I still need one though, Maver green please :LOL:
I do use a riddle but if ive forgotten it i gently mix it adding the water slow and a bit at a time and then after 20min i rub it over and over between my hands ,that gets most lumps out

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The art of mixing groundbait has been lost to the cordless drills, whisks, and sieves :)

Get to peg/swim,
Big shallow bowl
pour a pint of water into the bowl,
slowly add the contents of a standard bag of groundbait (1kg)
mix with fingers as you add.
Leave to rest whilst you set your gear up giving it the occasional finger stir

Once you're nearly ready, check the groundbait and add a bit more water if needed to get the consistency you require.
A quick rub will remove any lumps

The majority of lumps when mixing groundbait are caused when you add water to the dry mix. it's the same when mixing any dry mix with water, always add the mix to the water not the other way around ;)

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
" I don't really use it for sieving wet groundbait but as I make my own from sheep nuts "

Surely that must be against the law :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
The art of mixing groundbait has been lost to the cordless drills, whisks, and sieves :)

Get to peg/swim,
Big shallow bowl
pour a pint of water into the bowl,
slowly add the contents of a standard bag of groundbait (1kg)
mix with fingers as you add.
Leave to rest whilst you set your gear up giving it the occasional finger stir

Once you're nearly ready, check the groundbait and add a bit more water if needed to get the consistency you require.
A quick rub will remove any lumps

The majority of lumps when mixing groundbait are caused when you add water to the dry mix. it's the same when mixing any dry mix with water, always add the mix to the water not the other way around ;)

^^ Interesting how others mix their groundbaits...:unsure:.....I've always mixed mine water to groundbait. For me, I can control the texture/final outcome of my mix better especially when mixing smaller quantities and then alter the consistency with a batch in another bowl depending on what I want the mix to do throughout the day especially when feeder fishing.....I rarely use a sieve....