Groundbait question

Total

Site Supporter
What’s he feeding his maggot line with Gazza ? 🤣🤣
Now you can see why my fishing consultation business is so busy! :love::p:ROFLMAO:

And the sweetcorn feeding scenario you mentioned above.....I'd be only feeding one or two bits of sweetcorn via a tosspot until/if I got a response and reassess as needed.....;)(y)

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Of course I dont know the venue - you haven't mentioned it so it makes your reply seem purposely sarcastic?

I do know a bit about fish, fishing and conditions. Also not far from you so have seen this weeks weather.
Loads of sleet and rain. Minus 2 here on Suffolk coast last night, same tonight due to high pressure.
1 to 3 deg tomorrow with a minus 3 windchill and sleet/snow warning in place.

Any experienced angler would agree with my reply as you will be fishing for a few bites.
Fish will not move far if at all so would avoid groundbait / feed and go for the search as much of your swim or even several swims as possible with straight lead and a single bright bait.
Not intended that way, I know you're local ish and I thought I'd named the venue in my OP. (Goldstone Farm, Ashdon)

No offence intended.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Now you can see why my fishing consultation business is so busy! :love::p:ROFLMAO:

And the sweetcorn feeding scenario you mentioned above.....I'd be only feeding one or two bits of sweetcorn via a tosspot until/if I got a response and reassess as needed.....;)(y)
I don’t know his venue but, personally I do like at least one positive area of my peg. He’s not mentioned his venue so we are all weeing into the wind really. Go for the win Mark .... get it balled in. 🤣🤣

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
you could soak and mash up a few 2mms with a bit of whizzed up bread if your really stuck

Total

Site Supporter
I don’t know his venue but, personally I do like at least one positive area of my peg. He’s not mentioned his venue so we are all weeing into the wind really. Go for the win Mark .... get it balled in. 🤣🤣
Oh, I thought it been established he's fishing in a 'Night club':oops::p:ROFLMAO:......Agreed, we don't know the venue.....While fishing a positive fed area in a peg can work (in the warmer months), in the colder months, more often than not in my experience, it kills a peg...Groundbait? That's a different story....;)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Oh, I thought it been established he's fishing in a 'Night club':oops::p:ROFLMAO:......Agreed, we don't know the venue.....While fishing a positive fed area in a peg can work (in the warmer months), in the colder months, more often than not in my experience, it kills a peg...Groundbait? That's a different story....;)
Emma is doing just that at Lindholme Mark or I’d be agreeing with you. I asked her what gave her that idea and she said .... the fish haven’t had a good munch for months and they are hungry. Do you think she was coming onto me Mark ? 🤣🤣

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Fair point on venue related, if skimmers present I do like the pinch of micros and sit and wait over it as even on the coldest of days after a few hours the peg can get quite strong and you start to catch plenty of fish.

One venue I used to fish in the winter Hawford bridge near worcester had just carp and the couler used to drop out of it, good winter tactic was just to feed 3 bits of corn and fish corn over it and just sit over it and wait for the bite,

If it was a water which had a nice head of decent Roach I would whizz up some bread crumbs and just feed little nuggets with 2 or 3mm bread punch over it.

Whatever you do pick a bait for the species you are targeting and feed very little of it and persevere over it for at least an hour and give the fish a chance to find the bait, swapping and changing lines in the winter most of the time is a disaster, unless you are dobbing all around the swim with a disc of 8mm bread for carp without feeding anything.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Fair point on venue related, if skimmers present I do like the pinch of micros and sit and wait over it as even on the coldest of days after a few hours the peg can get quite strong and you start to catch plenty of fish.

One venue I used to fish in the winter Hawford bridge near worcester had just carp and the couler used to drop out of it, good winter tactic was just to feed 3 bits of corn and fish corn over it and just sit over it and wait for the bite,

If it was a water which had a nice head of decent Roach I would whizz up some bread crumbs and just feed little nuggets with 2 or 3mm bread punch over it.

Whatever you do pick a bait for the species you are targeting and feed very little of it and persevere over it for at least an hour and give the fish a chance to find the bait, swapping and changing lines in the winter most of the time is a disaster, unless you are dobbing all around the swim with a disc of 8mm bread for carp without feeding anything.
Just been back to the OP post and he mentions roach to a pound so your approach maybe better than going all out looking for carp and F1’s this weather. Shame he hasn’t got a few maggots.

Total

Site Supporter
Emma is doing just that at Lindholme Mark or I’d be agreeing with you. I asked her what gave her that idea and she said .... the fish haven’t had a good munch for months and they are hungry. Do you think she was coming onto me Mark ? 🤣🤣
I think Emma was prolly trying to sell you some extra Willy Worms merchandise Mick!.....Not that you would take any notice as you were looking into Emma's eyes at the time of your conversation!!!.....Emma could have been speaking Russian at the time!:eyepop:🥰😗

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Just been back to the OP post and he mentions roach to a pound so your approach maybe better than going all out looking for carp and F1’s this weather. Shame he hasn’t got a few maggots.
Just had a look back after you posted it, Yeah, I would bin of the carp and just fish for the Roach with the Breadcrumbs and punched bread, maybe slip a bit of worm on now and then as a change bait, kickstart with a little nugget of tight formed bread crumb and a little bit of loose fed crumb to draw them in, have a nice day if the roach go to a pound. maybe a few bonus perch or proper big Roach on the worm. I wouldn't feed any worm though bit to rich when cold.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I’m probably going to split the session into 2, start off with bomb and bread/corn then a couple of pole lines later if no action.

I caught carp and roach there last Sunday on meat and corn fished over Groundbait with very few loose offerings, temperatures were a few degrees warmer though.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think Emma was prolly trying to sell you some extra Willy Worms merchandise Mick!.....Not that you would take any notice as you were looking into Emma's eyes at the time of your conversation!!!.....Emma could have been speaking Russian at the time!:eyepop:🥰😗
You know me too well you do. 🤣🤣. The restraining order ended today so, I expect to be arrested again tomorrow. She loves me really. I can tel. 🤣🤣

Seriously though mate. She’s a lovely lady and a cracking angler. She gives honest advice. She even tells you what her dad does but, then tells you why she does something different and what she prefers instead. I can’t fault her.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’m probably going to split the session into 2, start off with bomb and bread/corn then a couple of pole lines later if no action.

I caught carp and roach there last Sunday on meat and corn fished over Groundbait with very few loose offerings, temperatures were a few degrees warmer though.
Confidence pal. You’ll get some. Good luck. 👍

Total

Site Supporter
You know me too well you do. 🤣🤣. The restraining order ended today so, I expect to be arrested again tomorrow. She loves me really. I can tel. 🤣🤣......
^^:)......Wake up Mun!....She's after ya Parkin and Ginger cake!......:devilish:;):ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
@Stewie74....Enjoy your day tomorrow.....at least you've fished it before and know roughly what to expect....

Go with a couple of fishing methods, don't overcomplicate, feed sparingly and enjoy your day.....Try and sit with the wind behind you and on a peg that's on the middle of that bank and fish to obvious features if you have them...(y)