Groundbait question

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Dropped a bit of a clanger, planning a local session tomorrow, and the only groundbait I have is Marine Halibut, which I understand is not a particularly suitable winter groundbait.

Cant get to a tackle shop so no maggots either. I have sweetcorn, spam, plenty of micros and expanders, as well as some bread.

Fishing a commercial, carp to 10lb, roach to 1lb, little rudd and perch.

As I see it, my options in lieu of groundbait are as follows:

1) Use the marine halibut mix and hope for the best.
2) Use a smaller amount and mix with micros
3) Just use micros instead

WIll also be experimenting with breadpunch on the bomb, and I've got some worms, just thinking about the pole lines.

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance (y)

Stewie

rudd

Site Supporter
Corn or bread on the bomb.
We have had rain then high pressure bright and Sunny today.
Snow forecast in East over weekend.

Doubt much will feed.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Riddle the marine halibut dry through a flour sive, then use it. It'll be fine. Save all the bits of pellet and stuff for summer. 👍🏻
Thanks very much (y)

Corn or bread on the bomb.
We have had rain then high pressure bright and Sunny today.
Snow forecast in East over weekend.

Doubt much will feed.
I'll let you know how it goes. Do you know the venue?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Why the importance on the ground bait mate ? I don’t know your venue but, I’d start off dobbing around with a 8mm disc of bread or a single piece of corn. Start about 4’ off the deck. Lower it in gently and see if you can snag a few. You could cup in some corn where it starts to slope off just in case a few fish do want to feed but, not too many mind. 6 to 10 grains every 15 minutes maybe enough. Simply looking on this line every now and again may see you catch one but, my main method would be searching around. Nicking one or two fish then moving again. Don’t fish too tight to any islands either. Fish won’t be in a foot of water this weather. If you can fish to an island dob in from your furthest point left then right then left again and repeat. When you get to the middle go back to the outer edge of your swim boundary and start again. It’s going to be tough going but, you should get a few. Good luck. 👍

rudd

Site Supporter
Thanks very much (y)

I'll let you know how it goes. Do you know the venue?
Of course I dont know the venue - you haven't mentioned it so it makes your reply seem purposely sarcastic?

I do know a bit about fish, fishing and conditions. Also not far from you so have seen this weeks weather.
Loads of sleet and rain. Minus 2 here on Suffolk coast last night, same tonight due to high pressure.
1 to 3 deg tomorrow with a minus 3 windchill and sleet/snow warning in place.

Any experienced angler would agree with my reply as you will be fishing for a few bites.
Fish will not move far if at all so would avoid groundbait / feed and go for the search as much of your swim or even several swims as possible with straight lead and a single bright bait.

TimFB

Dropped a bit of a clanger, planning a local session tomorrow, and the only groundbait I have is Marine Halibut, which I understand is not a particularly suitable winter groundbait.

Cant get to a tackle shop so no maggots either. I have sweetcorn, spam, plenty of micros and expanders, as well as some bread.

Fishing a commercial, carp to 10lb, roach to 1lb, little rudd and perch.

As I see it, my options in lieu of groundbait are as follows:

1) Use the marine halibut mix and hope for the best.
2) Use a smaller amount and mix with micros
3) Just use micros instead

WIll also be experimenting with breadpunch on the bomb, and I've got some worms, just thinking about the pole lines.

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance (y)

Stewie
Marine halibut does it for me all year around, but in winter I mix it with micros and under-load the feeder

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Given how cold it's meant to be tomorrow unless it's stocked to the brim I'm not sure it'll make much difference what you do! Was properly cold on my walk today, and very boggy underfoot just to make it even worse, yet it's meant to be even colder tomorrow.

matt

Site Supporter
Apart from dobbing on the pole line, try kinder potting a small pinch of soaked micros on one line into the deepest water you can find and fishing an expander over the top.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Given how cold it's meant to be tomorrow unless it's stocked to the brim I'm not sure it'll make much difference what you do! Was properly cold on my walk today, and very boggy underfoot just to make it even worse, yet it's meant to be even colder tomorrow.
Just because it’s cold you can still catch , they’ll feed at some point, just have to keep plugging away and be patient..At tunnel, you can pick up fish on and off dobbing around the peg, keep feeding a maggot line, and they’ll come on late in the session

rudd

Site Supporter
@Stewie74 Goodluck whatever you try 😉 doubt many will be out having a dangle.
May have a few hours myself but will be late afternoon if I do.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Apart from dobbing on the pole line, try kinder potting a small pinch of soaked micros on one line into the deepest water you can find and fishing an expander over the top.
Spot on this, exactly the way I would do it, nice way to fish for the skimmers as well, doing this you have to be accurate and just keep the float exactly over the micros, sometimes takes an hour to get the first bite, then the skimmers come along. also worth trying a small 3mm punch of bread over it for the roach