Groundbait problems

GarethC

Been feeding a homebrewed groundbait (mainly fishmeal and ground pellets) in the edge and getting plenty of big carp in the swim with lots of swirls but few bites on dead maggots.
Have been told my groundbait is probably too light causing the fish to come off the bottom and miss my bait.

Anybody got any thoughts on what I could add to my mix to keep it nailed to the deck - thanks in advance.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Don't use groundbait.

Use 6/8mil pellets, corn or meat. If the fish want to be in the margins there is no need to feed heavy. Often I will feed just 5 grains of corn/pellets/cubes of meat. Feed for one, at most two, fish at a time.

tedstriker

Site Supporter

maybe this video will give you some idea, a heavy groundbait and heavy feeding

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Could try leam or molehill soil if you want to use groundbait.

GarethC

Yep, tried that Nicky and also 'balled' it in but it did'nt help - looks like it was the mix or the lightweight hookbait.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A 50/50 mix of sticky method mix and Superlake does it for me. Add a little hemp and sweetcorn.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I’d just cut down the amount you are feeding.
I’ve had a lot of success recently fishing damp micros down the edge, simply fill a cad pot with a ball of damp micros and fish over the top of that.
I’ve found I get very few liners fishing this way and still get loads of bites.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
On fisheries that hold more fish than water Ive often found that having two margin swims is beneficial. It sounds to me like you are attracting TOO many fish in at once. Im with Neil of the Nene on this one. A few grains / pellets at a time. Good luck. 👍

RiggersSW

Could add some leam or I like to use watered down molasses, makes the mix a bit stickier and fish love it. I also normally end up adding some hemp and corn, with the liquid from both making the mix sticky. If I want to nail it to the deck I overwet it gradually as well. It should reach the deck without breaking up this way. Fish rooting around in the swim will cause it to break up once it's down there anyways.
Also you could buy some method mix to add to your homemade groundbait. I've always liked the Bait-Tech Envy or Marine Halibut. Can't really go wrong with the Dynamite Swimstim method mixes either or the Ringers stuff.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The Marukyu sticky method mix is also very good (if you can get hold of it).