Groundbait in open end feeder....

AdamRussell93

Not a great time now until February mate as they don't really like the cold.
Look for warmer day spells and suggest fishing a maggot feeder .
At least that will give you a chance of catching and keeping busy through cold days.
I’ve got a few maggot feeders that I’ve drilled out and fished hemp out of it and had a few lovely chub that way

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You could use small pellets in the same way and ring the changes between pellets and maggots/casters/hemp.
If you feed enough and Barbel are about they will find your bait.
Yes Sprats can be a nuisance but don't be afraid to try 5/6 maggots on a 10 or 12

AdamRussell93

I usually hair rig baits anyway so if I’m gunna go down this route it’d probably be hemp/caster/micros and fake casters or a pellet hook bait.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Has anyone used A feeder full of sponge, dip it in a liquid attractor, quick squeeze and it releases slowly in the water.

rudd

Site Supporter
Is there a certain ratio of liquid to water I need to follow or am I just overthinking this ?
Depends on liquid.
Fishing Shop bought stuff in plastic squirty bottles is quite weak and dilutes very quickly.
Essential oils in small glass bottles only needs a few drops as very strong.
Natural stuff likes molasses, I use 50/50.

rudd

Site Supporter
Has anyone used A feeder full of sponge, dip it in a liquid attractor, quick squeeze and it releases slowly in the water.
Yes - may still have the free Bob Nudd sponge feeder that came free with either AT or IYCF twenty years ago!

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Yes - may still have the free Bob Nudd sponge feeder that came free with either AT or IYCF twenty years ago!
I knew I had got the idea from somewhere. I once had a great net of chub from the Trent using a sponge soaked in blood (animal I must add).