Groundbait in open end feeder....

AdamRussell93

So I’m still getting to grips with fishing rivers. Tomorrow I plan to fish the river Dearne at Harlington with an open end feeder, plugging it with ground bait and using a mix of hemp and feed pellets. But what I do want to know is does the mix of the groundbait need to be different i.e heavier. It’s not a particularly fast flowing stretch if that makes a difference. Thank you.

rudd

Site Supporter
You need it sticky enough to ensure its in feeder when feeder hits bottom.
Then its a case of do you want an explosion of feed or a trickle IE speed feed empties from feeder?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Depending on how deep the water is will dictate the type of feeder. If the water is 5' or deeper, then don't use a mesh type, use a solid open end feeder.

TimFB

It depends on depth and flow. We have no rivers in these part but when I fish in France in the local river the water is about 7-10 ft deep and the flow is really slow. I find that the groundbait doesn’t need to be that sticky, what seems more important is how hard you squeeze it in after filling it up. If I see it explode when it hits the surface I either squeeze it a bit harder and/or add a dribble more water until it is right.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Also, this time of year mix the groundbait up so it's more paste like, that way it will stay in the feeder to act as an attractant rather than feed the fish but will come loose once you move the feeder which will in turn hold any fish there for your next cast

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Interested to know your reasoning behind that Tricky.
I use really large cage feeders on the Lower Severn and do so as the flow pushes the feed out.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Interested to know your reasoning behind that Tricky.
I use really large cage feeders on the Lower Severn and do so as the flow pushes the feed out.
It can come out of the cage easier on the way down, creating a cloud of feed mid water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Pellets to me stay in the feeder a lot longer than groundbait will if squeezed, even when using a sticky mix like River Ace, but I don't worry about that as I get a 'two tier' mix wafting downstream.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That comes down to being able to mix groundbait properly though Tricky and thinking about how you are fishing.
My cage will contain pellets,maggots and small cubes of meat.
The above will either be mixed in a method mix feed or capped off with it.
By using the cage the water will push the feed out,if I do the same as Dave and go for a sticky mix it's pumping out flavour attractant on a slow release.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
The groundbait will still come out of a solid feeder (when I say solid, I mean plastic with holes in). Don't tend to use sticky method type groundbait on rivers, just crumb based ones like Sensas or Van Den Eynde.

AdamRussell93

You need it sticky enough to ensure its in feeder when feeder hits bottom.
Then its a case of do you want an explosion of feed or a trickle IE speed feed empties from feeder?
I wanted to just try and control the release to keep it slow and gradual. I’ve got the dynamite big fish crushed hemp and halibut but I plan to mix it with the krill and shrimp liquid so I dunno if this makes it thicker or not.

rudd

Site Supporter
I wanted to just try and control the release to keep it slow and gradual. I’ve got the dynamite big fish crushed hemp and halibut but I plan to mix it with the krill and shrimp liquid so I dunno if this makes it thicker or not.
Add any liquid additives to your mixing water.(adding liquids direct to groundbait will make a sticky mess and groundbait will not mix properly).
Give them (wzter and liquid) a very good stirring so they mix up well before adding to groundbait.

AdamRussell93

Add any liquid additives to your mixing water.(adding liquids direct to groundbait will make a sticky mess and groundbait will not mix properly).
Give them (wzter and liquid) a very good stirring so they mix up well before adding to groundbait.
Is there a certain ratio of liquid to water I need to follow or am I just overthinking this ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Crushed hemp is one of the ingredients in Sensas Explosive, as it will literally explode out of the feeder. If you start with a fairly stiff mix (don't mix it all at once) then see if it is still in the feeder when you reel in, if it is, then it is too stodgy. You probably won't get it right first time,I certainly don't, it does take trial and error, though eventually you should get it right and be able to use the knowledge on different venues.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Are you fishing just for Barbel? If not then more traditional groundbaits are probably a better bet. Things Like VDE Secret and World Champion are good binders. Crushed hemp makes for a fast acting active groundbait.

AdamRussell93

Are you fishing just for Barbel? If not then more traditional groundbaits are probably a better bet. Things Like VDE Secret and World Champion are good binders. Crushed hemp makes for a fast acting active groundbait.
Yeah I’m trying to catch my first river barbel mate and to do to it on the river I see everyday would mean that little bit more to me.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Not a great time now until February mate as they don't really like the cold.
Look for warmer day spells and suggest fishing a maggot feeder .
At least that will give you a chance of catching and keeping busy through cold days.