Groundbait...help!

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Don't overdo it mate , it's very potent.
You are not wrong Dave! I tried diluting some for my expanders last weekend- not a sausage! Must have been too strong. Just glad I had some maggots with me! You live and learn, eh? :LOL:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You are not wrong Dave! I tried diluting some for my expanders last weekend- not a sausage! Must have been too strong. Just glad I had some maggots with me! You live and learn, eh? :LOL:
Been there, done it and got the T shirt. When people 3 pegs away complain about the smell you know you have overdone it and I'm speaking from experience ???

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Interesting reading this, as I asked a similar question the other week (and got lots of helpful replies). I've got some Thatchers Dark (fishmeal based) & I've also bought some Sensas Lake and plain brown crumb. There's also a bag of Frenzied Hempseed Groundbait in the garage.
I've got a canal match in a couple of weeks. Is it worth putting the hemp groundbait in the mix or does that contain too many particles for this time of year?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Interesting reading this, as I asked a similar question the other week (and got lots of helpful replies). I've got some Thatchers Dark (fishmeal based) & I've also bought some Sensas Lake and plain brown crumb. There's also a bag of Frenzied Hempseed Groundbait in the garage.
I've got a canal match in a couple of weeks. Is it worth putting the hemp groundbait in the mix or does that contain too many particles for this time of year?
A commercial canal or a ‘real’ navigation canal? If it’s the latter I’d not be putting the fishmeal in.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the kind and generous replies. I shall experiment and keep you posted with results...if they merit sharing ;-)
Any results will be worth sharing, whether good or bad, you learn from mistakes.
Thanks mate, I've got some of the Sensas Brasem liquid (wife and son think it smells like sick),
It may contain butyric acid, they use that in carp baits a lot and is supposed to smell like sick.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I decided a few months ago I wasn't going to buy any more shop brought groundbait at£4 a kg
Ordered one of the grinders which was recommended on this site, also a sack of skretting micro, once the skretting are ground down they act just like the thatchers groundbait but at about 1.30 a kg

Come summer I will adapting the mix to suit different the types of fishing
A handful of ground vitalin acts as a binder
adding 50% brown crumb will be a margin mix for holding fish, with Bait tec krill and tuna liquid or oil.

Will be buying some different chicken feeds to try

But groundbait is getting to a silly price now

Nicky Dodds

Is it the frenzied hemp match black?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cheers Chris - a proper canal. Bloody hard one at that!
Given the drop in temperature, I’d be looking at starting with bread punch and liquidised bread, possibly the feeding a line with some continental type GB (Sensas Lake is OK) but I’d also be looking at a line or two loose fed only, caster right across and pinkies or maggots at the bottom of the near shelf.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Given the drop in temperature, I’d be looking at starting with bread punch and liquidised bread, possibly the feeding a line with some continental type GB (Sensas Lake is OK) but I’d also be looking at a line or two loose fed only, caster right across and pinkies or maggots at the bottom of the near shelf.
Oooh - that was my plan. Starting on punch & licky plus fishing pinkie down the shelf. I wasn't sure whether to bother with the far bank & caster but you've made my mind up now. Thanks Chris

Total

Site Supporter
Oooh - that was my plan. Starting on punch & licky plus fishing pinkie down the shelf. I wasn't sure whether to bother with the far bank & caster but you've made my mind up now. Thanks Chris

Chris's advise is bang on(y)......Just make sure you don't draw a peg like he does!;):(

Nicky Dodds

Yes it is mate
I'd be tempted to mix half a bag of lake and half a bag of the match black. The match black is usually a base to build a mix around rather than an out and out feed plus it would darken the lake down unless it is black lake of course. When it's mixed up you'll be able to decide if there's too much feed in it but I think it'll be fine.

Nasha

Would someone be able to tell me what size feeder comes in the Sonubaits match method mix bags, please?
I would guess ‘large’ but I want to buy the right mould for them.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Would someone be able to tell me what size feeder comes in the Sonubaits match method mix bags, please?
I would guess ‘large’ but I want to buy the right mould for them.
I think it’s a large feeder but 15gm