Groundbait, groundbait, groundbait - is it for the angler or the fish?

rudd

Site Supporter
Mole hill soil comes into the same category as leam and gravel, categorised as ballast or binder with the single purpose of getting the groundbait down although leam in powder form is also used to separate joker.
But mole hill soil comes from the ground 😐😯😉😃

rudd

Site Supporter
Mole hill soil comes into the same category as leam and gravel, categorised as ballast or binder with the single purpose of getting the groundbait down although leam in powder form is also used to separate joker.

Liquids as Chefster has stated are bait boosters/attractants, again by their nature not classed as groundbait.

Ground bait is exactly that, a ground bait, biscuit, dried bread, coconut, molasses, pigeon droppings, fishmeal, hemp, potato flakes, bran, maize, etc.

As well as liquids there are other attractants, such as various spices, coco, custard powder, cork powder, glycerine etc. Like groundbait the list is endless.
Just messing!

Up until this thread I had not even thought of ground bait as being what it actually is - ground up bait.
I knew it was but in my head the term groundbait was/is called groundbait because of what it does IE used to cover an area of the bottom - ground.
Maybe because of sea fishing terms with the bottom being called ' the ground' IG fishing over rough ground - snaggy, rocky, hard areas.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter

Video of fish behaviour when a feeder is dropped in the vicinity of silver fish
Assuming you have got fish in your swim it generates a lot of instantaneous interest. I always imagined just getting the occasional peck. I guess it all comes down to how you present your hookbait at the end of the day. The feeder clearly does it’s job.i’ve seen from the Matrix underwater videos that the hookbait never lands how you imagine it doing.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter

Video of fish behaviour when a feeder is dropped in the vicinity of silver fish
Wow - the impacts of groundbait can be devastating by the looks of things. I’ll have to seriously reconsider using it.

Looking through the garage last night I found a bag of Sensas 3000 sweet fishmeal commercial groundbait. Is that ok to use in winter? I’m planning on fishing the local pond on Saturday and am tempted to ball some in at the start.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fish two lines, one with and one without that way you've got a fall back in case.

Remember the old saying though - you can put it in but you can't take it out ;)

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Thanks Dave - no harm in experimenting, provided I don’t over do it of course.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Wow - the impacts of groundbait can be devastating by the looks of things. I’ll have to seriously reconsider using it.

Looking through the garage last night I found a bag of Sensas 3000 sweet fishmeal commercial groundbait. Is that ok to use in winter? I’m planning on fishing the local pond on Saturday and am tempted to ball some in at the start.
If you ball groundbait in at the start you will probably kill it dead this time of year, you are better off with small amounts of loose feed tapped in , if you cannot get a response to that , then introduce a small amount of fine groundbait to try and attract a response

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
And if you take a trip to slab square in Nottm you can collect a bucket of pigeon s**t to mix it with; cracking roach additive.
what you really need with pigeon muck

is to find a fancier and ask him for his clean out, the stuff he removes from his loft,

this not only comprises of excrement but also has grains, part grains and regurgetated bits from the birds craw

plain gathered poo, does not really cut it

be aware though, that is is a hazardous substance and could contain diseases and or microbes damaging to health, after using or mixing, hand sanitization is required

Zerkalo

Have said before that I love groundbait and that aisle in the local shop as they have a good range to chose from, but the number of venues I can use it on is dwindling really due to bait bans, and the one I do fish only allows Sonubaits and ABC so I use Sonubaits, preferring F1 Green to match the colour of the fishery pellets.

Ok so there are other places I can use groundbait, Bream fishing where I usually prefer fishmeal again on the venues I fish, Rivers where it seems I just want a heavier sticky mix, and if I ever fish canals where I'd have to think about it these days. It's still nice to have a selection and I can usually find something that does what I want it to do in terms of feed content and consistency.

When I get membership for a Tench estate lake that allows groundbait I'll be going straight for the Sensas Tench groundbait as it has been years since I've had chance to use that.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Have said before that I love groundbait and that aisle in the local shop as they have a good range to chose from, but the number of venues I can use it on is dwindling really due to bait bans, and the one I do fish only allows Sonubaits and ABC so I use Sonubaits, preferring F1 Green to match the colour of the fishery pellets.

Ok so there are other places I can use groundbait, Bream fishing where I usually prefer fishmeal again on the venues I fish, Rivers where it seems I just want a heavier sticky mix, and if I ever fish canals where I'd have to think about it these days. It's still nice to have a selection and I can usually find something that does what I want it to do in terms of feed content and consistency.

When I get membership for a Tench estate lake that allows groundbait I'll be going straight for the Sensas Tench groundbait as it has been years since I've had chance to use that.

Wowsers, you fish a venue where they only allow Sonubaits?!! That’s fairly crazy!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a funny turn this morning, called into the tackle shop to pick some maggots up on my travels and ended up without any maggots but a Guru 400 Speednet :eek:

Maggots coming later today all being well as they were waiting on the maggot man

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I had a funny turn this morning, called into the tackle shop to pick some maggots up on my travels and ended up without any maggots but a Guru 400 Speednet :eek:

Maggots coming later today all being well as they were waiting on the maggot man
You’ve gone over the the Orange side then Dave . Dearth Vader would be proud.

rudd

Site Supporter

Its called the 400 speednet because in just over six and a half minutes after picking it up for a look, your wallets £15 lighter. 😄

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Its called the 400 speednet because in just over six and a half minutes after picking it up for a look, your wallets £15 lighter. 😄
Not half as light as it felt when I bought the Guru rear rod rest at £11.99 :eek:
At least with the net I've got something that looks like £14.99
I think they had my pants down re the rest

...and leaving you with that mental image, I bid you all good night :D