Groundbait, groundbait, groundbait - is it for the angler or the fish?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's one thing for sure - more groundbait gets bought due to flashy packaging than any other reason - and probably in many cases to anglers who are really not sure why they've bought it except it's got Bob Nudd / Steve Ringer / Will Raison / AN Other famous angler - face on the packet so it must be good :p
They mix it up, lob it in, and then declare to all and sundry that it's rubbish when they haven't snared half-a-dozen fish in the next ten minutes - whilst the actual groundbait is still laid on the bottom of the lake like a pongy cannonball 'cos they mixed it too stiff.

On the one rare occasion that the groundbait actually works as intended that becomes a 'must-have' bait and they'll buy it forever more - and tell everyone on websites or social media how wonderful it is.

My winter / spring mix for silvers I've been using for years and I see no need to alter it - just VDE Supercup & Secret with the proportions altered depending on the water temperature - in the depths of winter it might be 100% Supercup. In very clear water I'll also add Boland Roach Black which darkens the mix off but doesn't wash out like Tracix does.

For bream on the feeder I use Boland Bream Caramel (smells a bit like scopex) or Bream Brasem (which surprisingly smells a bit like sausage) - or on a carp water a sweet fishmeal.

One thing I keep seeing on YouTube is this strange craze for sieving dry groundbait - that bag has been carefully prepared by manufacturers who've forgotten more about groundbait than we're ever likely to learn so it behaves in a certain way when mixed correctly. Sieve out all the larger ingredients (usually bits of corn or hemp) and the texture and action of the groundbait is totally altered and you've thrown half of it away - groundbait is expensive enough without chucking half of it out for the birds. If you don't want groundbait with bits in don't buy it in the first place - it's not as if (as Dave pointed out at the top of the thread) there's nothing to choose from.

Simon

Disagree about sieving dry groundbait, there are occasions I do it, when I don’t want any large particles, it’s not often, only for silvers in extremely cold conditions, I don’t chuck the sieved ‘big bits’ away, that goes into the margin mix.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've never understood the logic in riddling groundbait and then compressing it back into balls or onto a feeder

Sure enough it looks and feels all light and fluffy once riddled, but once squeezed into a ball or onto a feeder you've turned it back into a lump again.
On shallow venues feeding it loose can be very effective in winter, so riddled does remove any lumps.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have to say I agree with the couple above posts about the super anal groundbait preparers. I just get it to the consistency I need for whatever I’m doing with it and squish any firm lumps but that’s it. I’m sure at times preparing it with such precision that it’s like a chemistry experiment makes a bit of a difference. But I seem to catch well enough doing it more simply and I probably gain back the fish I possibly lose to not being anal by being able to start fishing a bit earlier with the less faffing.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I need my eyes testing!😵
Was going to crack a.jock about that four year old bit of meat in the punch pouch - until I zoomed in and realised its an old price ticket.

To Daves question.
Just like rods, boxes, hooks, boilies and floats - with groundbait its nice to have a choice.
Like boilies alot are just there to catch the angler - all have just about the same base mix to them and may have different smells or colours added - some of which put fish off.
Every now and again a cottage industry groundbait comes along which is good for a while or on specific waters.
The main groundbait manufacturers such as sensas / van den eye all.work and have a proven track record.
Brown crumb has always been a main ingredient in many commercial made mixes as it acts as bkth a good carrier and feed plus takes colours or flavours easily.
I buy 20kg of brown crumb every year and make my own cottage industry mixes to suit water being fished and time of year. Also use provit 66 fishmeal, betaine, rock salt, spices and a host of other bits and bobs.
Keeps my costs down and I catch.

This year I’m having a go at making my own mix of brown crumb and ground halibut pellets (both bought in bulk). That’s for commercial-type carp venues anyways.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was initially looking for brown breadcrumb but that's showing my age lol
Brown breadcrumb , now theres a thing

lots of brown crumb thats sold aint much good,

though there is one stand out option, and that is Sensas Brown Crumb, which is real brown crumb, not either a toasted or coloured bit of milled bread

I know that sounds daft being that crumb is crumb, but it aint, there is a difference

Ben Field

I do always riddle mine. It takes about 30 seconds so there's really no harm regardless. The technical differences may only equate to about 1%, but knowing that everything in your bowl is consistent in texture and feed value makes me happy. Especially on sloping bottoms I'll often pot it loose too, so it does help.

I don't fish many super rock hard venues either, but I just start mixing in typical canal mixes on harder days to fine things down. My last half dozen sessions I've enjoyed trying the newer Spotted Fin non-fishmeal (roach/lake/canal) mixes and just use differing proportions to change the feed value. I usually hold a grudge against anybody bar Sensas or VDE who tries to get in on the silverfish game, but the Spotted Fin stuff feels and smells about as old school as you can get.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I found these videos very informative, I mentioned/posted them before. I was intrigued about his "dumpling mix", but then realised it was his accent, and he was referring to damp leam .

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had cause to try out a new groundbait after reading and hearing about them,

worth a troll through the site to see if it might give you a bit of an edge

I bought a selection box from him after telling andy what, where and when I was to use the GB, and had a fair few good sessions using the stuff

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Is most groundbait imported ? Reason I ask is that I stocked up with bulk bags from Decathlon, mainly biscuit crumb and additives for bulking groundbait out, and just checked and it's all gone up in price, some as much as 50%. Has anyone else found groundbait is going up ?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
@bluemack
We sometimes use a finned method with a sticky mix for Barbel on the Lower Severn.
It is a cast every 30 mins method and you are using the slow bait release and bait smell to draw fish upstream.
When the bait is off the tip usually springs back and repeat.
Can lose a few feeders if they trundle into a snag but I sit on my rods so am usually quick to react.
Can be deadly if used properly.

Attachments

• 20180927_181711.jpg
    20180927_181711.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 10

stephanie

i tend to stick with 4 mixes all dynamite green f1 black and milled expander they tend to work for me and i have confidence in them.

when it comes to groundbaits i must admit i take my time with its prep. after initial mix will add more water to get it close to right as i can them it gets riddled and lumps pushed through and dispersed into the mix after leaving to stand again i will mix again and then one final riddle before it goes into the tubs one open for use straight away other is airtight to stop it drying out. as for compressing it into balls to feed i dont squeeze the balls hard as i want them to break up as soon as they hit the bottom and in the margin i tend to feed it loose in the pot

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Back in the day my groundbait was very simple. Sensas Lake either on it's own or mixed with Sensas Magic, if I was fishing for tench or bream. On rare occasions I used Magic on it's own for tench. I had my biggest bag of quality roach on Lake and Magic, with a few tench and crucians also coming to the net. I occasionally used VDE Supercup and Secret. And sometimes bulked my continental groundbait out with Kestrel Superfine crumb.Now there's a name from the past.I think it was made by British Groundbaits. These days it all seems very complicated with so many different baits.I think for old school silvers fishing I will stick to my trusted Lake and Magic. For roach, I would try seeing how they respond to loose feeding first, and definitely have a line I loosefeed only, because I have caught plenty of roach without groundbait, especially in colder weather.

bluemack

Site Supporter
@bluemack
We sometimes use a finned method with a sticky mix for Barbel on the Lower Severn.
It is a cast every 30 mins method and you are using the slow bait release and bait smell to draw fish upstream.
When the bait is off the tip usually springs back and repeat.
Can lose a few feeders if they trundle into a snag but I sit on my rods so am usually quick to react.
Can be deadly if used properly.
Thanks for info Lee,do you have a short hooklink and bury it into the method mix as you usually would
on a still water ? To be honest i,m tempted to try it on the Warks Avon(deeper stretches) for the Bream.
(y) (y)