Groundbait, groundbait, groundbait - is it for the angler or the fish?

Philnun87

I’ve tried lots of different gb over the years and always end up coming back to swim stim on commercials. Very versatile isn’t it. 👍
They’re great and tried and tested. That’s what I think you want with GB’s, a few versatile base mixes that you can adapt to the situation

Simon R

Site Supporter
There's one thing for sure - more groundbait gets bought due to flashy packaging than any other reason - and probably in many cases to anglers who are really not sure why they've bought it except it's got Bob Nudd / Steve Ringer / Will Raison / AN Other famous angler - face on the packet so it must be good :p
They mix it up, lob it in, and then declare to all and sundry that it's rubbish when they haven't snared half-a-dozen fish in the next ten minutes - whilst the actual groundbait is still laid on the bottom of the lake like a pongy cannonball 'cos they mixed it too stiff.

On the one rare occasion that the groundbait actually works as intended that becomes a 'must-have' bait and they'll buy it forever more - and tell everyone on websites or social media how wonderful it is.

My winter / spring mix for silvers I've been using for years and I see no need to alter it - just VDE Supercup & Secret with the proportions altered depending on the water temperature - in the depths of winter it might be 100% Supercup. In very clear water I'll also add Boland Roach Black which darkens the mix off but doesn't wash out like Tracix does.

For bream on the feeder I use Boland Bream Caramel (smells a bit like scopex) or Bream Brasem (which surprisingly smells a bit like sausage) - or on a carp water a sweet fishmeal.

One thing I keep seeing on YouTube is this strange craze for sieving dry groundbait - that bag has been carefully prepared by manufacturers who've forgotten more about groundbait than we're ever likely to learn so it behaves in a certain way when mixed correctly. Sieve out all the larger ingredients (usually bits of corn or hemp) and the texture and action of the groundbait is totally altered and you've thrown half of it away - groundbait is expensive enough without chucking half of it out for the birds. If you don't want groundbait with bits in don't buy it in the first place - it's not as if (as Dave pointed out at the top of the thread) there's nothing to choose from.

Simon

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I was always a big fan of Marukyu groundbaits particularly for carp. I’m running out of my massive stock now. I bought tons of it when I heard it wasn’t going to be available.

This winter I’ve been using Sensas Lake Black, initially for roach, but I’ve discovered F1s love it too. I’ve found mixing it with a bit of Swim Stim Silvers works well.

For the carp, when the weather warms up and they start feeding again, I’m planning to experiment with Ringers Bag-Up and Ringers Feeder. They came highly recommended on a previous thread on the subject so I’ll give them a bash. I believe they are good for bream too.

I sometimes wonder when manufacturers keep bringing out more and more similar looking variations whether they actually make any difference. The number of variations of Swim Stim now available is mind boggling. It just makes it harder to find the one you’re looking for. Tackle shops can’t stock every version available and you can guarantee that the one you want will be the one they haven’t got.

As with many other things I take my advice from my learned maggotdrowners friends.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
If manufacturers didn't bring out different variations then wouldn't we still all just be using white or brown crumb?
As DB1 said,a lot of time and investment goes into bait development and they wouldn't be doing it without the payback for the development costs and then to make a profit.
I fish one Carp runs water predominately on the finned method and in the Summer the fish love Ringers Micro Method Mix,use it on another water and it becomes a struggle yet they love Bait-Tech Super Method.
The "additionals" such as pellet,corn and meat are the same so it is only what's in the groundbait that's making the difference.

Most groundbaits don't work not because of the groundbait itself but because anglers don't know how to use them properly.

Silver fan 82

I was always a big fan of Marukyu groundbaits particularly for carp. I’m running out of my massive stock now. I bought tons of it when I heard it wasn’t going to be available.

This winter I’ve been using Sensas Lake Black, initially for roach, but I’ve discovered F1s love it too. I’ve found mixing it with a bit of Swim Stim Silvers works well.

For the carp, when the weather warms up and they start feeding again, I’m planning to experiment with Ringers Bag-Up and Ringers Feeder. They came highly recommended on a previous thread on the subject so I’ll give them a bash. I believe they are good for bream too.

I sometimes wonder when manufacturers keep bringing out more and more similar looking variations whether they actually make any difference. The number of variations of Swim Stim now available is mind boggling. It just makes it harder to find the one you’re looking for. Tackle shops can’t stock every version available and you can guarantee that the one you want will be the one they haven’t got.

As with many other things I take my advice from my learned maggotdrowners friends.
Another vote for the old Marukyu gb, fantastic stuff that was. I've had good results with the Ringers too Mark. I don't think you will be disappointed.
For Roach in my experience I've found that they react better to loose feed than groundbait. If I'm fishing specifically for roach I don't use groundbait, prefer to just loose feed. When using groundbait for Bream and Tench I've caught a fair few Roach too using groundbaits marketed for those species (the more sweeter, biscuit based). Not had as many roach if using a fishmeal groundbait.
The range of groundbait is staggering but I think 90% is all about confidence.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
As a novice to Angling, I’ve found the choices of groundbait overwhelming, to the point that up to now I’ve avoided using it as I know you can actually put fish off your swim if you choose the wrong type..😕

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
He writes me sometimes. Doing well apparently. Just needs meds now to help him with the flashbacks. Can’t blame him. I did have loose fitting underpants on at the time. 😳🤮🤣🤣
A bit too much info there,me thinks 😳😂😂

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Okay, I've got itchy fingers this evening, starting to get pre day's fishing excited even though it's a few days away yet - bet i don't sleep tonight now :D

But, anyway, I've just been milling around the online stores looking at groundbait - I know what I wanted but was absolutely taken aback at the amount and variety of groundbait available now - one store alone boasted some 115 different types of groundbait!

To me there was always fishmeal based and non-fishmeal based, natural colour or dark/black, but now it seems you can get every flavour and colour under the sun.
I thought, simples, a bag of Sensas Roach & Silver fish, but now I'm bamboozled with more options than I'd know what to do with :D

Is groundbait to catch fish or is it to catch the angler? Are we going down the Boilie path with Groundbait?
Again, this is something you need to find your own “groove” with , asking that question on here will confuse you even more 🤷‍♂️

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've always been a believer of fishmeal based for Carp, sweet for Bream, and non-Fishmeal based for Silvers such as Roach.
Method mixes tend to be mainly Super-G occasionally blended with dark gb depending, and if I'm on the rivers after Barbel I tend to use groundbait more as a paste to act as an attractant rather than a feed.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
@Dave it isn't just groundbait but everything in angling has received the "dedicated" treatment. So today you MUST have precisely the right float (size, stem, bristle, shape), hook, elastic, topkit, length of rod etc. etc. to be taken seriously when fishing for X species on Y venue.

And you know my reaction to that "Bollx!".

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think some venues react better to the same type/flavours of groundbait the same as they do to the 'in' bait, but mainly because the fish get used to it and sense it as a source of food. Once they start to become wary of it then a new bait becomes the norm, and so on.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I think some venues react better to the same type/flavours of groundbait the same as they do to the 'in' bait, but mainly because the fish get used to it and sense it as a source of food. Once they start to become wary of it then a new bait becomes the norm, and so on.
That’s why it’s good to experiment with mixes and blends, and have confidence

rufcuk

Tried Many brands of ground bait and you can catch on all of it on any random bag you pick. - Although I started using van den eynde and my catch rate improved immensely won’t go back to any other brand now
Even though it’s designed for bream G5 is the best all round ground bait i have ever used

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Where’s moto-whatsisface when you need him? He knew all the groundbait in the world and had ranked it in order. In fact he knew EVERYTHING about fishing. Pity you banned him.

rudd

Site Supporter
Just found my Punches as well...

20210216_225629.jpg
I need my eyes testing!😵
Was going to crack a.jock about that four year old bit of meat in the punch pouch - until I zoomed in and realised its an old price ticket.

To Daves question.
Just like rods, boxes, hooks, boilies and floats - with groundbait its nice to have a choice.
Like boilies alot are just there to catch the angler - all have just about the same base mix to them and may have different smells or colours added - some of which put fish off.
Every now and again a cottage industry groundbait comes along which is good for a while or on specific waters.
The main groundbait manufacturers such as sensas / van den eye all.work and have a proven track record.
Brown crumb has always been a main ingredient in many commercial made mixes as it acts as bkth a good carrier and feed plus takes colours or flavours easily.
I buy 20kg of brown crumb every year and make my own cottage industry mixes to suit water being fished and time of year. Also use provit 66 fishmeal, betaine, rock salt, spices and a host of other bits and bobs.
Keeps my costs down and I catch.

Ben Field

One thing I keep seeing on YouTube is this strange craze for sieving dry groundbait - that bag has been carefully prepared by manufacturers who've forgotten more about groundbait than we're ever likely to learn so it behaves in a certain way when mixed correctly. Sieve out all the larger ingredients (usually bits of corn or hemp) and the texture and action of the groundbait is totally altered and you've thrown half of it away - groundbait is expensive enough without chucking half of it out for the birds. If you don't want groundbait with bits in don't buy it in the first place - it's not as if (as Dave pointed out at the top of the thread) there's nothing to choose from
I laugh my socks off when I see this.

The absolute worst thing I ever saw on a video involving groundbait prep was from an angler I can't remember. An eager wannabe really, though I think he was somehow sponsored.

After mixing his groundbait and riddling off everything but the lumps, he explains that he won't ever push the lumps through the riddle because these are "impurities"......(!!!!!???!!!!!!!????!!!). Just chucked it all away instead.

Every day for about the past 10 years I've thought about this guy and how much I just want to punch him in the face.

Now, where's that thread about being mental?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've never understood the logic in riddling groundbait and then compressing it back into balls or onto a feeder

Sure enough it looks and feels all light and fluffy once riddled, but once squeezed into a ball or onto a feeder you've turned it back into a lump again.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I've never understood the logic in riddling groundbait and then compressing it back into balls or onto a feeder

Sure enough it looks and feels all light and fluffy once riddled, but once squeezed into a ball or onto a feeder you've turned it back into a lump again.
Precisely my thoughts on riddling. I honestly can’t see the point. I’ll get shot down for saying this but I also don’t understand why you need an electric drill and a whisk. It’s not that hard mixing it with your hands is it? Or do matchmen mix five or six bags at a time? The guys I’ve seen in videos get it nice and fluffy and then compress it into tight balls after that. I’m not being funny, I would genuinely like to know what it achieves.