Groundbait for bream

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Back on the river tomorrow morning, fishing a swim that I know contains decent size Bream, using a cage feeder.
I will ball some in before I start, but the thing is, what should I put in it from this list
Brown crumb
Wheat
Bream groundbait with brasem
Different Groundbait with molasses
Sweetcorn
Fishmeal
4mm halibut pellets

Hookbaits will be
Maggots
Lobworm
Sweetcorn

These bream will have hardly ever been fished for so natural baits would seem to be favourite.
What would you do?
Thanks

Bill G

Grandad
first off how deep is your swim and how strong is the current?
depending on your answer the cage feeder might be the wrong type to use.
as for g/bait again dependant on flow and depth .but,most of my bream fishing is done with brown crumb with a good helping of brasem mixed in .
if the flow is very strong and the depth over fifteen feet then i would add a binder like pv1 ,this is sweet and will add to the flavour.
i would also mix in a good helping of dead maggots.
hookbait would be worm ,but not lob dendrabenas would be my choice ,two on a size ten tipped with a couple of dead red maggots.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks Bill.
Depth is around 4-5ft and flow is not strong.
I was in the tackle shop today and can't buy Brasem locally so I got the Bream groundbait which contains Brasem.
This combined with the brown crumb would be the basis. The other GB is PV1 but I didn't know whether using it would be an advantage.
Would there be any benefit in adding fish meal to the mix?
What about adding sweetcorn to the Gb as I was thinking of using it on the hook. A bait that has worked for me in the past is two grains of sweetcorn on a hair with a bunch of maggots on the hook.
Another particle which has been recommended is stewed wheat, which I have.
Is it a good idea to put in a selection of particles or to be more selective?
Lastly, I did hope to get some Dendros but the shop only had one tub of lobworms.
As I said, it is not a common style of fishing here.

Bill G

Grandad
the pv1 is a binder so you wont need it in the shallow water you are targetting,a cage feeder will be ok and adding a helping of corn to the mix wouldnt hurt as you are intending to use it for hook bait, the wheat will help bulk out the g/bait mix as it is cheap .adding some fishmeal wouldnt hurt your mix either.
as for the lobs use the tail end only and put the head in your feeder along with a few dead maggots .
for the best results a few days of prebaiting the swim with about fifty orange sized balls wouldnt go amiss.do this and you could almost guarantee a result .

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks again Bill
After living in the highlands of Scotland for 25 years, fishing mostly for trout and salmon and then spending the last 6 years fishing for large carp and catfish, I haven't done much of this style of fishing.
Look forward to seeing the results tomorrow.

grey

Site Supporter
Bream prefer an inert groundbait, so mixing the night before will deaden the mix.

Sweet groundbait or fishmeal both work - Fishmeal tends to get them feeding immediately and often creates savage, wrap-around bites, whereas sweet tends to hold them longer, with steady pull bites.

I have tried mixing sweet and fishmeal together but never found satisfactory success for bream, so tend to use one or the other depending on session length.

In my experience, sweet groundbait is a better carrier for aromatics such as brasem, coconut, curry etc, whereas fishmeal benefits from additional oil and salt.

As Bill G says, make certain they have plenty of free offerings to graze on, and if they haven't been fished for before, I recommend you bait up and give them a few hours settle before fishing for them - a shoal of river bream can be very easily spooked until they really get their heads down on the feed.

smiffy

Site Supporter
These fish have hardly been fished for so you really only need something sweet to act as a carrier for your feed. Out in Holland we just use a biscuit crumb as binder and brown crumb as bulk. Simple as that. The biscuit crumb is literally just that,ground up biscuits.
Brasem is a good additive but if youve already located the fish you only need to use it to get your feed into the peg[:T]
Just to add. When Ive been to Holland Ive found pellets and fishmeal to be not that great. This will change with more and more people Carp and Barbel fishing over there.
If you know youre on them put it in. If you need an attractant to draw them then leave them out and just use natural baits.

Last edited:

abnmckerr

The cage feeder will be fine for the depth of water you are fishing. Your brasem mix and brown crumb will do the job perfectly. I would avoid fishmeal unless the water sees a lot of pellets and fishmeal put in by carp anglers. I find Bream can be put off by chopped worm at times but worth a try.

Use the sweetcorn and wheat in the feeder plugged by your groundbait mix. If possible I would kill some of the maggots as well for the feeder amd hook don't put live maggots in the feeder as they will break up the mix during the cast and spread feed all over the swim. Hookbait can be a of the tail of the lob, maggots, dead maggots, corn or any combination. Trial and error will show what they want on the day.

Good luck

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If there are crayfish in the water and there probably is, I would avoid fishmeal,pellets and chopped worm as these are a magnet to them.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Just as an update, it didn't work.
I went for the sweet approach and tried worm, maggots corn and combinations on the hook.
The tip didn't move for 6 hours.
I would be interested in opinions on what else I might have done, but I think the fish were elsewhere.
After 6 hours the words "flogging" and "dead horse" came to mind. I think I will hold off on buying the keepnet I was asking about.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Bream can be a bit fussy at times and prefer to have conditions their own way.
What time of day were you fishing early-late morning,was it bright sunshine etc
Sometimes balling in over their heads also puts them off

Last edited:

smiffy

Site Supporter
Two basic rules I stick to on my local small rivers. If its clear,loosefeed. If its coloured then groundbait can go in. When its clear I dont expect to catch a lot of fish. Just pulling one Bream out from a shoal can spook the rest.
Sounds to me like they werent there though. Funny old time of year now. They might well be moving to their winter quarters which could be anywhere thats its a bit wider and deeper.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Started just as it was getting light, balled in 6 cricket ball sized balls of GB. Put wheat, corn and maggots through the feeder and tried worm, corn and maggots on the hook.
The nearest I got to a fish was after about two hours. The rod hooped over, nearly pulling it out of the rest, and then went slack. The hooklength had snapped about an inch down from the loop.
Strangely, the exact same thing happened the last time I fished this swim two weeks ago. I sort of thought it was a carp rather than a bream and I sort of think that I will be going back with some carp gear before long.

It was bright and sunny (28' by the time I packed up) and the water was pretty clear.
It's not a tiny river, about 30m wide at this point. It does get bigger and deeper further down so I might try there next time.

buygoodtackle

Sounded like the conditions were against you. Also it is worth having a couple of casts with just a lead to see if there are any indications of fish before balling in the groundbait. If the fish are already there don't ball it, just use a feeder.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Bream like deeper water if its clear so try to find somewhere about 20ft deep.2nd think you need to do is prebait the night before.On arrival dont ball any in just go on the feeder.If the river is fished by carp anglers put micro pellets in feeder with corn and chopped worm.If its not fished for carp leave the pellets out.Never leave the feeder in more than a few minutes keep casting and topping the swim up.
If that fails i will come over if you pay.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Could equally have been a Barbel bite judging by your description. The famous 3ft twitch[;)]
Keep us informed how your getting on[:T]

a2ssm

Great topic. This year I targeted bream on canal because I kind of got fed up of catching carp. Bream are very finicky and are easily spooked. Most important thing is location. Once you are certain the fish are there I would pre bait swim for a few days. Then use a bomb with corn.

What worked for me on canal was 50/50 liquidised bread. And then fishing in middle of canal with Bread punch on 18 hook. I only went for an hour a day for a week about 2 hours before sunset. Once you get one Bream the others get spooked. This was may time before weather warmed up. I think weather, wind direction, time and location are all important factors. Will be trying again soon as it cools down.

I ended up catching a bream a day. Only once did I catch 2. The average was about 3.5lb. Biggest was 5.5lb mark. Was well chuffed :)

Though they are snotty I absolutely love catching them.

However I imagine it may be a different ball game on river.

Another point would be if using bomb caste further out and upstream and let current bring bomb to right spot. This is so they don't get spooked.

Last edited:

Sportsman

Site Supporter
It may well have been a barbel bite They are supposed to be in there, although I have never heard of one being caught. Having said that, no-one really fishes for them.
French anglers are now getting into carping, but the majority that I see lure fish for pike and perch and most of the fish caught end up on the table.
Never heard of anyone wanting to eat a barbel

grey

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Sportsman

Just as an update, it didn't work.
I went for the sweet approach and tried worm, maggots corn and combinations on the hook.
The tip didn't move for 6 hours.
I would be interested in opinions on what else I might have done, but I think the fish were elsewhere.
After 6 hours the words "flogging" and "dead horse" came to mind. I think I will hold off on buying the keepnet I was asking about.

Bream establish their own underwater track and tend to stick to them. You won't be able to attract bream into your swim, only stop them in their tracks.

A good start is to spend some time looking for feeding signs and fire in some free bait to give them the taste.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Didn't know that Grey
Would more than one shoal follow the same track or do they keep to their own?