Groundbait additive

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
What do you use to spice up your gbait to give it some extra smell and appeal, for silvers n bream,, I do like coriander powder,, added to my roach mix,, what else have you had success with?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Brasem for the bream,

and 5 spice powder has been good for the roach this year

though im just about to trial out a new groundbait, additives and pellet selection from Andy Seerys range of baits on this years winter series

baits and additive lists can be found here

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Some of the groundbaits out now don't need anything adding, they smell fine as they are. I do sometimes add 5 spice to paste though.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Some of the groundbaits out now don't need anything adding, they smell fine as they are. I do sometimes add 5 spice to paste though.

Agree on this one. I use a bulk mix, Then I add tackle shop groundbaits to it for more smell and flavour while also adding Sensas Bream additive, I've Just recently stopped using the additives to test the results and nothing has worsened. Might just save my pennies in the future.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Brasem for the bream,

and 5 spice powder has been good for the roach this year

though im just about to trial out a new groundbait, additives and pellet selection from Andy Seerys range of baits on this years winter series

baits and additive lists can be found here

You’ll not go wrong with the So Simple Baits, the liquid boost juices are the dogs doodahs ??

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Blood for chub, Aniseed for roach and Brasem for Bream.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hopefully not a scary answer... where do you get the blood from and how do you use it? Sounds like something to give a try..

I might be able to help you there. The doctor says I'm allowed to play with sharp objects again. Mwhahahaha.

Seriously though, maybe your local butcher? It's used for making black pudding so he/she may be able to help.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Originally I used to get it from work, it was used as the foaming agent in fire extinguishers. The problem arose that anglers and gardeners were nicking so much of it that they started putting weedkiller in it. I then had a mate who worked at a butchers and he used to get it for me from the local slaughterhouse, sadly we lost touch and I haven't used it for quite a few years but, if I ever manage to move close to a chub river I will ingratiate myself with the butchers again.

smiffy

Site Supporter

Used to see it occasionally on our shelves but not for a long time. Same with pigeon poop.
I use Brasem sometimes but most groundbaits do everything I need them to do nowadays.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
you can buy blood at some garden centres, dried into a powder

the one additive that no ones mentioned is salt

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
you can buy blood at some garden centres, dried into a powder

the one additive that no ones mentioned is salt
You know mate, salt is an additive I have never used. I once read an article by a carp angler saying how he always put salt in tiger nuts and enjoyed great results. It seems alien to me somehow, I even wash cockles and shrimps if they have been stored in brine. What do you use it in Mick, I have probably been missing out.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
i got informed once Dave that it was a ingredient in the first of the crazy bait mixes

and they had at the time, a massive effect on fish catches