ground bait

Status
Not open for further replies.

lodge1

Is there anyone out there that knows what is in a 'standard'store brought groundbait?We have to make our own down here and I cant get my efforts to smell or look like the 'real'thing.Also the carp paste is so easy to get right if you buy it any clues on how to make a good copy?

G

Lodge can you get fishmeal mate [?][?][?]

The best i can suggest is,if you can get fishmeal add it to brown crumb,then add your freebies to it

What we need is our local groundbait expert on this one,

MALC

catch me if u can
Andy,

G

PS,,,, i'm sure some one will have a mix for paste,

catch me if u can
Andy,

MALC

Lodge,

CLICK HERE for a few paste mixes and i'll post later abit about home made groundbaits.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Last edited:

lodge1

thanks for the replies.Yes I can get fishmeal and trout pellets but base mix is not available.The paste replies look good and I will be shoping today and trying them out tomorrow at the match.I know I shouldnt experiment at a match but I havent been into the koi at the last couple of matches.

MALC

Right had a bit of time to get this down so here goes with some cheap and cheerful ways i create and play with groundbait ingredients.[:D][:D]

There are 2 main bases for commercially bought groundbait as follows..

Brown Crumb (low feed value)..
Biscuit Meal (high feed value)..

The main base ingredient i use is Brown Crumb which can be bought cheaply in 20kg sacks or a cheaper option is to get friendly with a local bakery and get the sweepings from under their bread slicer machine normally cost's no more than a pint.[;)][;)]

If getting it via the second option the best way i've found to prepare it is to spread a thin layer on to a baking tray and put it in the oven to both dry it and turn it a light golden brown (not burnt) love the smell of this.[:)]

Once cooled then rub it through a fine flour sieve (any that don't go through the sieve keep to one side).

The sieved Crumb is ideal for a fine Roach type base mix.
The bits that wont go through the sieve is ideal for a Carp type mix.

I use the above to make up between 50 and 70% of the final mix, with the remaining 30 or 50% being made up of some of the following.

Now we come to the added extras which is where the flavours, smells and textures come in to play.

Just about every Seed, Pulse and animal feed can be used along with Spices and just about anything that sits in the kitchen.

Powdered Peanuts can be added either oven baked or as is and is a great binding agent.

Crushed Hemp either Roasted (prepare in the same way as the crumb) or as is makes a great oily attractor and makes a very active addition.

Cooked (boiled) and dried Wheat when put through the grinder adds a cracking aroma as does Oats.

Crushed and powered Turkey Pellets forms a milky Protein cloud.

Part boiled rice added either whole or crushed (takes dyes easy and can act as an attractor similar to dead maggots).

Fishmeal great additive for bream and even better for Carp.

Pure Molasses beat (not the liquid) as used to feed horses very sweet and a good binder.

Powdered or Crushed Maize is a good addition to any mix.

Seed Mixes sold as Bird feed can really change a groundbait depending on if it's Crushed, Powdered, Cooked or Raw.

Powdered Trout Pellets.

Well there's a few ideas to get you thinking.

As for Paste's if meat is used locally try making up a Catmeat Paste and bind it with Fishmeal.[8D][;)]

As you can tell i just love to play around with baits latest i'm playing with is a Korma Based Paste.[;)][;)]

[:0][:0] Just noticed how much i've waffled on so i'll stop there.[:)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

norm

malc
bloody hell
you will have them ground-bait companies out of business (LOL)

lodge1

Thanks malc made the paste using catfood trout pellets and gluten and its a winner with me ,looks like,smells like the real thing--------now will the fish like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.