Ground bait and Additive (smells)

Line Clip

Does anyone remember Derick Bryant Match Mix Booster, small skimmers went crazy for it, came in a powder form
in a small plastic bottle, (don't think it was sold in the tackle shops) highly concentrated sweetener.
Do you remember when SILLY BAIT hit the market with a bang, I think, correct me if I am wrong, it was one of the first Fish-Meal based ground-baits,

dave brittain 1

Line Clip I can't remember if that was red cap or if red cap came out first either way it smelled like chewing gum and nearly everybody was using it at the time. Sundridge Kevin Ashurst Gris Gris was one of my favourite bream groundbaits smelling of chocolate but containing pidgeon droppings as one of the main ingredients.

I was lucky enough to be sponsored Sillybait, Howard Webb one of the founders is a very good friend. Funnily enough when I moved to the South West I was getting mugged by anglers using Sillybait and was convinced my groundbait, (sensas) wasn't the problem. Paul Garret gave me a few bags and said just try it and see if it makes a difference. I tried it and won the first time I used it, framed the second and won the third match I fished using it.

Howard offered me sponsorship and I couldn't turn it down. It wasn't cheap at the time either at £4 a bag and that's going back close to 20 yrs.

One thing I forgot to mention is the smell of the original Sillybait before Van Den Eynde bought it out, your hands stunk for days even after scrubbing and washing them multiple times. I get the feeling todays groundbaits are weaker fishmeal versions.

Silver fan 82

Magic ,lake and Brasem ,love all three and they all work .tanches is another that has a very chocolatey smell and very pleasant ,also works well for skimmers.
Assasinate is a more savoury smell and works very well for carp.
There's so many that smell good to us .but do the fish like it is more to the point
I tried the tanches for Tench (obviously lol). Love the smell! Didn't catch one tench on it. The roach liked it though. Will give it a go for Bream.
You can't beat the sweeter smelling baits but personally I've had better success for most species with fishmeal based groundbaits.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I always take my apothecary box with me as with tench fishing the buggers can switch off very quickly and having a large choice of flavours to change to can make a huge difference. Still have an unopened bag of Picardie.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
In the canal days VDE Gold pro- caught loads
Now, sonubaits banofee- don’t catch much

It is a case of using what works now rather than what I want to sniff

rudd

Site Supporter
surprised no ones mentioned Pol Vitamo and Ultrabite

both which stunk like a fishwives Knickers
Have a vile of Ultrabite - keeping it to remind me some items are designed to catch anglers.
It sits next to the small bottle of pol vitamo and a glass tub of JPZ pellets.

Another vote for sensas lake - custard cream anyone?

Now worst smell - in a hurry for an adhoc beach session after a call that Cod were running.
Garage, 1lb dirty squid into bait bag frozen just in case. Back into house with another 1lb bag to defrost.
Microwave 4 mins on defrost.
Back to garage to load car with kit which took around ten minutes
Back into house to get squid - oh my whats that smell and why does microwave have 34 mins left on it at full nuke?
Stop and Open microwave. Close it very quickly- dirty squids red hot and it stinks (very, very, very, very, very badly)
Microwave Unplugged and taken into garden for the evening.
A considerable amount of time then spent with windows and doors open and a can of deodorant.
Didnt get on beach as fast as I would have liked 😯

rudd

Site Supporter
Line Clip I can't remember if that was red cap or if red cap came out first either way it smelled like chewing gum and nearly everybody was using it at the time. Sundridge Kevin Ashurst Gris Gris was one of my favourite bream groundbaits smelling of chocolate but containing pidgeon droppings as one of the main ingredients.

I was lucky enough to be sponsored Sillybait, Howard Webb one of the founders is a very good friend. Funnily enough when I moved to the South West I was getting mugged by anglers using Sillybait and was convinced my groundbait, (sensas) wasn't the problem. Paul Garret gave me a few bags and said just try it and see if it makes a difference. I tried it and won the first time I used it, framed the second and won the third match I fished using it.

Howard offered me sponsorship and I couldn't turn it down. It wasn't cheap at the time either at £4 a bag and that's going back close to 20 yrs.

One thing I forgot to mention is the smell of the original Sillybait before Van Den Eynde bought it out, your hands stunk for days even after scrubbing and washing them multiple times. I get the feeling todays groundbaits are weaker fishmeal versions.
Fishmeal prices rocketed.
Hence a boom in birdseed based boilies at one time and weakened groundbaits / non sticky pellets.

rudd

Site Supporter
Why is it that specimen anglers when on bank having a natter always take out their small balls for their mates to sniff whilst match anglers like to compare pole lengths!
Here have a sniff of these mate 😉 can never say no can you!
Probably sniffed more boilies than.... erm....roses 😂

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Northern Specials and Esterberry... two stand out carp baits... Sticky's Manilla is another and CC Moores Live System, Munch Baits Cream Seed... all smell ace...
One tip locally for carp is Cell soaked in Baileys... seems to work too

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Have a vile of Ultrabite - keeping it to remind me some items are designed to catch anglers.
It sits next to the small bottle of pol vitamo and a glass tub of JPZ pellets.

Another vote for sensas lake - custard cream anyone?

Now worst smell - in a hurry for an adhoc beach session after a call that Cod were running.
Garage, 1lb dirty squid into bait bag frozen just in case. Back into house with another 1lb bag to defrost.
Microwave 4 mins on defrost.
Back to garage to load car with kit which took around ten minutes
Back into house to get squid - oh my whats that smell and why does microwave have 34 mins left on it at full nuke?
Stop and Open microwave. Close it very quickly- dirty squids red hot and it stinks (very, very, very, very, very badly)
Microwave Unplugged and taken into garden for the evening.
A considerable amount of time then spent with windows and doors open and a can of deodorant.
Didnt get on beach as fast as I would have liked 😯
Rudd, I regulary use Pol Vitamol in Holland when the going is tough and quite often I catch on it.

Line Clip

Silly Bait, was brilliant,
I read about it in Match Fishing magazine, and like all these wonder baits and additives, I just had to get some, so I sent off
direct to them,
The advantage I had was, it took a while to reach the shops in our area, Carp went mad for it and just like you, success came from using
it . All that ended when Van Den Eynde bought them out, and other ground-bait companies started to produce products on the same
lines. Then the playing field was made even.
Thanks for reply Dave interesting

Line Clip

I always take my apothecary box with me as with tench fishing the buggers can switch off very quickly and having a large choice of flavours to change to can make a huge difference. Still have an unopened bag of Picardie.
PICARDIE, wow that will be well matured , great curry type smell(y)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
It's been in a glass jar since l bought it . Still in it . Used to use it for matches on the Lea. Don't match fish any more. Aiming to use it as a cloud this winter if we ever get to fish before it's too warm.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Does anyone remember Derick Bryant Match Mix Booster, small skimmers went crazy for it, came in a powder form
in a small plastic bottle, (don't think it was sold in the tackle shops) highly concentrated sweetener.
Do you remember when SILLY BAIT hit the market with a bang, I think, correct me if I am wrong, it was one of the first Fish-Meal based ground-baits,
We used to sell Derek Bryant stuff aka Red Cap smelt like juicy fruit chewing gum and originally came from Germany very popular for a while as it made a good sweet mix used a lot on the Trent, I think I might still have some somewhere.
The Sillybait in the original blue and red packets was really high quality fishmeal mostly and they all copied it like Crazy bait by Sensas.

Line Clip

We used to sell Derek Bryant stuff aka Red Cap smelt like juicy fruit chewing gum and originally came from Germany very popular for a while as it made a good sweet mix used a lot on the Trent, I think I might still have some somewhere.
The Sillybait in the original blue and red packets was really high quality fishmeal mostly and they all copied it like Crazy bait by Sensas.
Yes in those days, before things really took off, Derek Bryant match mix booster, was very good for attracting skimmers as
you say sweet powder concentrate, The Silly Bait was sold originally in natural the produced in black if I remember right.

Dslayer

dslayer
Over the years I have smelt countless ground bait mixes and additives , What is your favourite smelling ground bait or
additive you like the most REGARDLESS AS TO WHETHER IT WORKS OR NOT.
My favourite is Mainline Cell I have used this for years, well before it came on to the match fishing shelves
A guy fishing for specimen carp put me onto it and I just love the aroma that you get from it, (wont go fishing without it)
There are so many now, and I think every Match angler has a concoction of smelly additives on there side tray
One of the strongest smelling additives I have smelt was a spray called STINKY STUFF very powerful, get it on your hands,
Its there for days,
Top angler Nick Speeds tub of yellow WASHSTERS have a small bottle in with the pellets, that has a pugnant smell that is very
different to other flavours.
Sensas ground bait Magic also one called Lake, ARE very sweet smelling ground-baits, the list is endless.
Sonu as you know do a wide range of smellies, as do Dynamite , also the specimen carp range is huge and mind blowing.
Do you anglers like the smell of these, SCOPEX, KRILL, TIGER-NUT, SQUID, BANOFEE, BRASEM, (just to mention a few) ?
What smelling additives would you NOT USE because of the aroma they give off ?
I always add approx 50g salt and 100g dried blood to every 1Kg of all my dry mixes.....
Also add Coffee Mate to increase cloudiness and creamy taste...

My full base mix consists of crumb, porage oats, dry blood fertiliser, salt, ground Vitalin, lightly ground seeds (hemp, wheat, and general bird seed), powdered milk and Coffee Mate. At the waterside I add micro-pellets, sweetcorn/maize, maggots (dead/alive), and colouring of the day.

Aaaahhhh... and when bream fishing then molasses are a must!

I don't buy any commercial groundbaits at all TBH ... any I do get (raffles/prizes/etc) tend to be added at random to my own mix just to bulk up really.

Last edited: