Grossest thing ?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
One of the worse smells I've come across while fishing was a dead carp that I found in a pile of weed that I raked in on a pre season works party. It was absolutely awful.
And once on a flight back from a holiday in Spain, a guy took a bag from his overhead locker, opened it and the most awful stench came out of it. He and several passengers immediately threw up. I heard him apologising, because he had eaten a dressed crab meal a week before, and liked the look of the shell and decided to take it home.He put it in the bag along with some sweets and a magazine for the return flight. He obviously hadn't cleaned it out, and some remaining crab meat had putrified over the week. Safe in the bag until he decided to read his magazine on the flight home. The disgusting smell of dead rotting crab and vomit lasted for about half of the 3 hour flight.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Two things come to mind, the first was back in the days of the closed season. I’d gone to get my tackle out of the garage to get ready for the new season, and picked up a bait box that felt unusually heavy. It was at that point I remembered the pint of maggots that I’d forgotten to get rid of. Three months they’d been in there, only they weren’t maggots any more. It was stinking black sludge of rotting flies. All went straight in the bin.

Probably the worst smell wasn’t from bait, but while fishing with a mate he’d spotted a dead, rotting duckling in his swim. And when I went for a slash, the twit scooped it up in my landing net and put it on my seatbox! It was absolutely putrid and made me heave. I’ll never forget the stench.

Robwooly

I'm pretty immune to any bait carnage, we've all done it after all, but was fishing at the docks once and couldn't go within 100yrds of a rotting ray, not only did it stink but it looked the part, belly up with that ghost like smiley face, if you went down there at night and shone a torch on it you would think we were being invaded.

Another similar encounter with a bloated seal on some steps near a beach, some lifeguards roped it off and went to get an air rifle, apparently the things can explode on a hot day so they speed up the process when no ones around,

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
The worst smell for me was going collecting maggots from the local abattoir when we forgot to get some for our bank holiday fishing. Hold you breathe and delve in a large tub of cow and sheep skulls with maggots crawling all over them. Gip, gig, gip, but got enough to go fishing.
Second was when my older bother collected some small crabs off Filey Brigg for bait and put them in a bucket of sea water under the caravan entrance. 2 weeks later the smell was horrendous and it took ages for my brother to own up where they were!

JayD

I've had the usual left over putrid bait, but the worst, and the only one that made me physically sick, was on a perch fishing trip near a warm water outlet, on my local canal. I struck into something that felt quite heavy, and slowly brought it into the edge. It was a sack, and me being young and nosey, cut it open. A half rotted lump of fur and flesh, that I guess was once a kitten, rolled out. I immediately threw up, tipped the lot back out of my landing net, packed up and went home. I could still smell it hours later. In fact I feel a bit queasy just thinking about it now, some 50 yrs later.

John.

Gaz9243

Worst for me has to be my garage freezer packing in, and me forgetting about it for months. It had all sorts in there, about 5kg of boilies, a few pints of dead maggots, 2 dead duck, a rabbit, and a couple of pigeon, along with other small bags of things like corn. The stench was horrendous, it took me hours just trying to empty it. I had to hold my breath, open the door, grab something and run outside. The smell is still burned into my nose 3 years later

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I had maggots that had rendered down into a slurry, but that is nowhere near the worst stench I came across, but it wasn't fishing related. Many years ago I was dossing at a mates flat, his wife had left so he had room. She shacked up with some other geezer with the sprog, but left a load of stuff in the flat. One item was a top loading twin tub washing machine that had been sitting in a cupboard for about 6 months, until the day we had to get out. She came to get her stuff, and unbeknown to us, the twin tub had a load of soiled terry nappies that had been in soak all that time. When she emptied it into the sink, the smell was so bad that loads of people came out of other flats to see what had caused it. Absolutely vile stench.