Green?

sapperrich

Hi all, just throw an idea out there. Most average families own more than car, and we are told that the future is electric cars for the sake of the environment, right. When you think these cars are going to need recharging near enough every day ( which I would of thought would be far more than the average daily house consumption) Where is the extra demand for more electricity going to come from? Surely by burning vast more oil and gas on a scale we haven't seen. People want clean energy as long as the wind farms aren't near their property (so as not to devalue their view or house price)! Wind/Wave and Solar power are a pipe dream both ideologically and practicality at the moment ( and I reckon for decades to come). Shouldn't we pull our heads out of the clouds and be more practical, and take this problem more seriously and work out a more viable plans for the future, instead of putting foreword profit orientated sticking plasters. Sorry had a skin full off drink an fed up of uneducated do gooders. Cheers guys.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Next time someone witters on about battery-electric cars ask them where they think that the Cadmium and Lithium used comes from and how and who is mining it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Also ask them where all the plastic parts come from and how they are made.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
And the Extinction Group or what ever they call them selves, if they travel from 50 or more miles away from their protest how did they get there. I bet they didn't walk it.

I always thought ( until solar power, wind power and wave power) that the generation of electricity involved first heat, being generated by what ever form of fuel being burned, to generate steam, to turn the turbines, thereby making electricity. When this electricity is then used, to power a motor be it washing machine, vacuum cleaner, or to light a bulb or drive some other machine heat is again generated and dissipatted.
I realise that solar power is also heat, well the sun is burning isn't it.

Hydro electric is in some cases polution etc free.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Given my 2.0l TDi Octavia gets 600 miles on a tankfull I'll stick with it ta muchly and its probably got a smaller carbon footprint than a leccy one truth be told... despite its emmissions... a leccy motor will need replacement batteries after approx 3 years and they COST... big time and what happens when the lithium cadmium and cobalt run out... oh and those are seriously toxic heavy metals dontcherknow, so recycling may be a tad pricey and carbon heavy too

Arry

Site Supporter
Hydro electric is fairly clean and so is wave and wind power but they all come at a cost, geothermal is risky and fusion has a high risk and what do you do with the waste...? Deffo a conundrum... in the meantime hybrid cars are the way forward or hydrogen fuel cells but hydrogen cracking is risky too

jason39

My 1st thought is, its ok if you have 1 car a drive and a charger at home, no problem.
What about all the cars parked on the street, are we going to have cables across the footpaths? or worse still if you live in a block of flats and your parking is nowhere near your flat.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The future of personal transport though probably lies in not owning a car but in subscribing to a service that provides autonomous electric cars on demand. So like a taxi you will pay per mile plus an annual subscription. This service will be provided by the car manufacturer so you will subscribe to Ford or Renault/Peugeot/Vauxhall. Whistle a car up on an app and it will take you where you want to go.

Charging and maintenance will not be your responsibility.

Arry

Site Supporter
Just got in from the shops and I saw a headline in one of the tabloids stating that leccy cars are placing a huge burden on the national grid... now to me, I'd have made sure that the national grid could take the upsurge of demand before punting leccy motors as the saviours of the planet... there are not enough clean, alternative, sustainable and viable forms of energy production to keep up with demand...

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ask Arch, It will take us 50+ years to have the infrastructure in place to get anywhere enough charging points.

Arry

Site Supporter
Charging points are not the issue it's the supply thats the problem... as in there isn't enough at the mo

nejohn

Site Supporter
It is a well hidden fact that the national grid as it stands is not capable of servicing a mass exodus to electric vehicles, the investment needed to upgrade is huge and would mean several new large power stations being built as renewable energy would not be able to supply this demand. I fear electric cars will go the same way as betamax video machines once a more credible alternative is developed as currently they are not practical and not particularly green. It is arguable that a well developed petrol engined car over its whole life cycle is greener than an electric car when you take into consideration the mining, refining, transportation and disposal of the heavy metals and the generation of the electricity to charge the car

Sportsman

Site Supporter
If I was ever in the market to buy another car, and I never will now, I would buy a Tesla in a heartbeat. My only consideration is how it goes.:love:
Sod the environment, sod green, sod the batteries, sod everything. Have you seen how fast that thing is?
I would probably park it up a tree somewhere in the first weekend, but I wouldn't mind. If you have to go there a worse ways than that. It would take the undertakers a week to get the grin off my face :D

Arch

Site Supporter
I regularly have this discussion on an hill walking forum I'm also on. They think the fairies will sort it. Mind you, most of them think Corbyn would have made a good PM too.

The Electricity network in this country is on it's knees, it's been in situ for 50-60-70 years without very much investment in upgrading. Can you imagine the upheaval required to put bigger cables into everyone's house ?? Then bigger Transformers will also be required. Who's going to pay for it all ?? All new houses come with a charging point, but the estates HV supply just gets joined on to the nearest existing HV cable whether that is big enough or not.

We can't just keep adding things onto the existing infrastructure, sooner or later it'll fail.

Edit; Spelling.

Last edited:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
ford developed a car that ran on just a spinning top

well technically it was a gyroscope, it never took off because of the petroleum companys didnt want it

hydrogen fuel cells will be the future answer (or so a thick corbyn supporter thinks)

John Step

Site Supporter
The future of personal transport though probably lies in not owning a car but in subscribing to a service that provides autonomous electric cars on demand. So like a taxi you will pay per mile plus an annual subscription. This service will be provided by the car manufacturer so you will subscribe to Ford or Renault/Peugeot/Vauxhall. Whistle a car up on an app and it will take you where you want to go.

Charging and maintenance will not be your responsibility.
Just a thought. You order up one of these cars. You want it to drive 5 miles to the river with all your gear. Its parked all day in the car park so no one else has use of it. Its been raining and all your gear is wet and muddy and perhaps you have a muddy dog as well. You drive home, drop the car off ready for the next user. They get in with best bib and tucker on for a night out and are faced with mud on the seats.
Next day you order up another car as you want to do some DIY. The bag of cement you hoisted into the boot leaked a bit and the dust got everywhere. Just right for the next user to put their groceries on.

Not everyone would be conscientious and clean it up.

I dont think the scheme will work somehow.

JayBee

Site Supporter
@Arch.....Is it true that the reverse is also true? ie. In a row of south facing houses, all with 4kw. pv systems (solar panels), would it be quite possible to generate more electricity than the local infrastructure could handle on a very sunny day?.
At least that was what I was told when our pv system was installed.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Why not have an electric car with an oversized alternator to charge the batteries as you drive

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
How does this self charging work ?
If you can recharge a battery fully when the car is driven then that would be perpetual motion, which I thought was physically impossible. It takes more power to drive a vehicle than it can generate to recharge the batteries.
I can't see how it works myself.