Greedy councils

commieboy257

Account Locked
The Chesterfield canal is not currently under the auspices of any local club, and as such has apparently been ravaged by eastern european types setting lines etc. Just about emptied it of pike and carp. god bless them.
someone on a fb page asked the council how much a year it is for the fishing rights such as they are - £3000!

Now bear in mind this:
there are 120 pegs over a 6 mile stretch - half of which are unsafe and need removing or repair at club cost
they do nothing to maintain the general area - that falls under canal trust volunteers
they don't put any stock in the place at all.

as you can imagine the queue to take it on is invisible.

the council are however quite happy to throw thousands at the local theatre and lend a group many thousands to buy Chesterfield FC (sunday leaguers in the blind division).

there's a couple or three transgender 'lads' in town, if we can get them fishing the council will pick up the tab for the lot!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
is there any negotiation? how about if you have a plan for repairing and rebuilding and the number of hours and materials involved and show the investment needed which the club will make which is a long term benefit to the council and show the benefits of having the company lease the canal

That would make total sense to me and would allow you to show benefits to the local area etc. maybe even apply for a grant or national lottery if you can show benefits for getting young anglers onboard, disabled swims etc etc.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's the key to it, giving the council justification to allow it to be used at low or no cost

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Our club pays a bit more than that for our lengths of the canal, (11 miles all in)

one fee to the local council, which to be fair to them, is pretty good value as they cut the weed with a boat on a fairly regular basis, and also look after the banks in the town-public sections, it comes under the amenity budget, but means we have to put up with paddle boats, an electric taxi boat and canoe schools, they did spend millions in conjuction with the EA on a desilting programme a few years back

then we pay another fee to the EA-and a govt body for the rest of the length, that though rarely entails any benefit, club work partys look after the pegs, brush cutting, weed removal

we are not allowed to put in any platform type pegs or alter the banks though due to it being an ancient schelduled monument

the EA also run a free of charge restocking programme, which in just the last two years has seen 1000's of silverfish and the latest carp restocking on the members only length, 200 fish between 3 and 10lb were put in

club members and the baliffs keep an eye on naughty fishermen,

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I know it will take a bit of looking into, but how about the club as a 'non-profit, charitable' club? It'll certainly bring the cost down because the council won't like to be seen turning them away.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
A club that I belonged to in sarf London many many years ago took over a park lake which was going to be netted out and closed to angling. The club negotiated a deal which saw them renting the lake for £1 per year on condition that was cleared, kept clear and properly policed. The club was happy as it acquired a nice little lake full of Perch, Roach, Rudd and Tench. The council was happy because it absolved them of the responsibility of the upkeep etc. There was a desire to stock it with Crucians which the E.A. would have supplied for free but they wouldn't and didn't because locals kept putting unwanted Goldfish in and idiots kept putting Carp in from the nearby Wandle.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Definitely the best route would be for them to go back to the council with a management plan.
After submitting one, my old club took on from the local council a stretch of river which had effectively been free fishing and which had become a real eyesore with litter, fires etc which looked even worse for the council as one of their waymarked public footpaths ran alongside most of it. As Phil says above, the council were happy that it was someone else's job to keep the riverside tidy.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Have you tried the Canal and River trust? They do profess to owning most towpath fishing rights.

commieboy257

Account Locked
I'm not trying anyone, I'm not a member of the aforesaid club and don't have £5k to chuck at it. fundamentally there just isn;t the demand from day ticket sales to make it worthwhile.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I'm not trying anyone, I'm not a member of the aforesaid club and don't have £5k to chuck at it. fundamentally there just isn;t the demand from day ticket sales to make it worthwhile.
Sadly that goes for most towpath fishing nowadays. Too many other towpath users to contend with. I go fishing to unwind😂😂