Greatest Angling Inventions/Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

Theres loads of items of tackle, bait and various inventions that have,over the years, made our fishing more of a pleasure, whats your favourite?

My two revolutionary inventions have to be the "Hair Rig" and the "Baitrunner", theres a lot more of course but these two stand out for me.

Oh and dont be afraid if you want to put a piece of kit up for the booby prize[:D] I reckon the "pole roller glove" could get my vote for a booby prize. I thought the idea was sound myself (bit too expensive though)but unfortunately it never took off for the two lads who invented it. Wonder if anyone still uses one of these gloves, or if anyone on here ever tried them for that matter?[;)]

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Don

I always liked the idea of the Dave Thomas Feeder Float (I still have two!!), and the Polaris float although i have never really mastered them.

I always wanted the hexagonal pole that came out years ago - still would buy one for the laugh if i saw one!

Octoplus must be up there in recent years as innovative - I remember spending ages trying to get nets and the dreaded brolly secure before it rained!!

booby? - That contraption that nuddy sponsored like a catapult'thing'?

Bill G

Grandad
pellet pump
drennan hook tyer
have to agree with the pole glove and bait shuttle

Don

Originally posted by nico12

Don

booby? - That contraption that nuddy sponsored like a catapult'thing'?

Oh bugger you mean the ezifeeda? I still have mine and use it regularly[:I]

The hexagonal poles were cr*p by all accounts though I was tempted myself at the time purely because I assumed the wind might not blow sections into the cut!

Dave Thomas feedafloats still have a couple somewhere,incidently it was Dave who came up with the "locslide" float which got reashed/or copied and improved lol and came out as the polaris.

kleinboet

Funnily enough I think the "slider" is a fabulous Idea - missed very few fish since using it. You always get a "wraparound" take with it!

floatfisher

Site Supporter
For me it has to be the fixed spool reel.It was so much of an advance that it's use was banned on many rivers for making it too easy to empty them of trout and salmon.I certainly couldn't see myself being without one.

mibut

The internet, forums, advice, new waters, new ways to fish ............

Zebedee

Boxes with legs.

Remember the days of hunting round to find stones or any thing to stick under your box to level it.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Zebedee

Boxes with legs.
Remember the days of hunting round to find stones or any thing to stick under your box to level it.

Definitely agree with that
An essential bit of kit in the days before Octoplus was a trowel (or sometimes even a spade) for digging yourself into the bankside on the Yorkshire Ouse.

I was reading an old Coarse Fisherman the other day (late 1970's) and they were actually marketing a box levelling kit then - designed for wicker baskets or the 'new-fangled' glass-fibre ones.
I'm guessing poor marketing let them down.

Oh and as for
poles !!!
- I think you'll find they were in widespread use five or six hundred years ago[:p]

Simon

gibby

Would agree with floatfisher - got to be the fixed spool reel. Even though I use a centre pin for much of my float fishing, couldn't manage without a fixed spool for ledgering and feeder work, not to mention lure fishing.

Thom

Penn 525 multiplier reels (Beachcasting) these are the only reel i have found that will put a bait to the horizon and still have reel rough ground use. [:D]

Personally i think chemically sharpened hooks are by far the best piece of kit ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.