Great canal session

Status
Not open for further replies.

breamcatcher

15/07/06 -016/02/14
In Memoriam
Decided to go for a pleasure session on Sankey canal at Newton Le Willows,arriving at 7am i decided to fish the Upper pound.
Although a fairly fresh breeze was blowing through it was quite warm and the water looked inviting with large groups of lily pads now emerging.
After a short hike i decided upon the top section and fished peg 4 which was a comfortable 14.5 mtrs to the far bank and a large enough area between the lilies to try and tame the resident hard fighting Tench.I had around 4ft of water around 3ft from the far bank.
After an initial feed of 4mm pellets and a few grains of corn and hemp either side of a large bed of lillies i settled down for a good Tench session.Fishing with 6mm pellet 6lb to 3lb hooklength and size 16 808 hook.
The expected wait was short and within a few moments i was having indications although no obvious signs on the water that the Tench had found the feed.
After approx 10 minutes, the first bite, which was encouraging and a prelude to the session,after a good fight i had a pristine 3lb odd male Tench safely in the landing net.
Rebaiting i decided to fish the same spot and this was very quickly followed by another fish of almost identical size.
Datafile11.jpg
I then changed to my other prebaited swim after feeding my first swim again with around twenty pellets,mixed corn and hemp spread over a wide area with a pole pot,within moments a Bream was also in the net.
Throughout the morning the bites were fairly steady and i ended the session around midday as the sun was high and bright.Through feeding and exchanging swims i finished with twelve Tench all of good stamp, four decent Bream and loads of skimmers.
The canal almost to myself,no boats,only a couple of kamikazee cyclists and a great days sport.
As Arnie said,i will be back [:D]

endpeg

I thought pellets were banned on Newton AA Stretch of the sankey canal[?]

breamcatcher

15/07/06 -016/02/14
In Memoriam
Pellets have been allowed this year after consultation with experts.
According to a committee member, match weights have perhaps un-suprisingly increased dramatically, and also the club membership has increased.
Roach Basher, thats the one matey, to the rear of the hospital.

stymie

Nice report there Dave, and a cracking pair of tench. Gone off canals at the moment [:I] but a section like the one you described could persuade me back!

Ady

Formerly Adymon
I fish right over the other side past where the Sankey just begins, loads of lillies there but there was a massive fish kill and im wandering just how far the damage has gone.

Not sure where the hospital is in relation to the canal but sounds like a good session, i might try it out!

MARK C

Andymon ,
you are at the opposite end to where this catch is from, this end is run by Newton Anglers mate. I know where you are fishing and it used to be run by Lymm Anglers until a couple of years ago and is now run by Dallam Anglers and is available as a day ticket.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
That sounds like a real WELL NEEDED CONFIDENCE BOOSTER Dave.[:D][:D]

I see you've managed to put a picture up too, LOL[;)][:D]

Nice brace of Tench.[:D]

WHAT NO RAIN.....NO WIND.....14.5 metres, ....WOW, what's it like ![;)][:D]LOL

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
Its a brightside canal [:D]

Last edited:

breamcatcher

15/07/06 -016/02/14
In Memoriam
Is it not a merseySIDE canal Arky me owd fruit??all this business with Tel, is getting to you [:D][:D][;)]
See ya Saturday [8D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.