Grayling Fishing next week-am I mad?

mart123blue

life member
Site Supporter
I went fishing this Sunday on my local river ( River Don near Oughtibridge).

When i left the house the temp was -2 with a heavy frost.

Slow going to begin with in my chosen swim, but then hit on a shoal.

All in all in the 3 and a bit hours fishing I had 15 Grayling out with 4 going over a pound. So cold shouldn't be a factor.

Simple stick float and maggot tactics
When you say simple stick float and maggot maybe I'm a bit simple...

Feed the swim slowly as Silverman says, pop it through, hold it back slightly, mend the line and slowly drop until its just off bottom?

I've read you need to look for steady flow, but also understand creases, slacks and eddies hold fish-I think...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@davepellet @SteelCityFisherman does the don fish well right through Sheffield? My mate had a flat overlooking it right in the city centre up until quite recently and looking down at the river from the balcony (or the nearby pub!) I always wondered how fishy it was. Hard to tell with the peaty colour but it looked very fast and shallow.

davepellet

Yes pretty much, there’s a good stretch thru Attercliffe known as Salmon Pastures. There are a couple of great stretches further downstream thru Rotherham too, absolutely full of roach and dace down there

The flat wouldn’t have been round Kelham Island area would it?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yes pretty much, there’s a good stretch thru Attercliffe known as Salmon Pastures. There are a couple of great stretches further downstream thru Rotherham too, absolutely full of roach and dace down there

The flat wouldn’t have been round Kelham Island area would it?
Interesting stuff. I think it was roughly in that area. Was pretty much on a bridge by a sort of weir. Would cross the bridge and head uphill to the centre.

davepellet

Much of the river north of the city centre (where I fish it most) is very shallow and strewn with rocks. But there are some deeper stretches amongst these streamier zones

@davepellet @SteelCityFisherman does the don fish well right through Sheffield? My mate had a flat overlooking it right in the city centre up until quite recently and looking down at the river from the balcony (or the nearby pub!) I always wondered how fishy it was. Hard to tell with the peaty colour but it looked very fast and shallow.
I've not fished much other than the beeley woods stretch. Its absolutely chock full of brown trout and grayling. I've heard tell of chub and barbel in this section though I haven't been lucky enough to catch any myself. There is even the odd salmon out of this stretch. As for further down as dave says salmon pastures is good for roach and the odd chub and barbel. As you get towards meadowhall there's a few decent pike as well

When you say simple stick float and maggot maybe I'm a bit simple...

Feed the swim slowly as Silverman says, pop it through, hold it back slightly, mend the line and slowly drop until its just off bottom?

I've read you need to look for steady flow, but also understand creases, slacks and eddies hold fish-I think...
As you say, feed with a few maggots for about 10 minutes if you can before casting. Not too much, just a little and often approach.

This stretch of water is pretty shallow all the way along and you don't get much more than 2 or 3 feet depth.

Might be specific to this river but ive caught from all the above types of water

2ndwind

My mainline for trotting for any silver fish & grayling is GigaFish Ultra mono 0.12mm = 3.7lb. Minimum stretch. Only problem is with my old eyesight / it takes me at least twice as long to tie!

mart123blue

life member
Site Supporter
As you say, feed with a few maggots for about 10 minutes if you can before casting. Not too much, just a little and often approach.

This stretch of water is pretty shallow all the way along and you don't get much more than 2 or 3 feet depth.

Might be specific to this river but ive caught from all the above types of water
Ta bud

mart123blue

life member
Site Supporter
Thanks everyone for the advice, I managed to land a couple of trout, but hooked into at least 10. I think a centrepin maybe on the shopping list....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was supposed to have had a trip to the Itchen at the end of Jan, but Lockdown kicked that one in the nuts.... hope to get out before the end of the river season for a bash at the Grayling down there with some other like minded loonies

2ndwind

If the present 'fish local' restrictions are lifted before 14th March I'll be booking a day ticket for coarse fishing on Lower Itchen Fishery. I may accidentally hook a grayling or two....
Grayling season ended on LIF on 31st January.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I wish I could have a day's grayling fishing:cry:
The Swale and the Ure are fining down nicely after being in flood for the most of the year but sadly there's no way I could stretch the definition of 'local' to include the likes of Catterick, Great Langton or Middleham.

I can't see the travel restrictions being lifted until the kids are heading back to school - so if they return on March 8th that doesn't leave a lot of time to get a trip in before the end of the season.

Simon

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wish I could have a day's grayling fishing:cry:
The Swale and the Ure are fining down nicely after being in flood for the most of the year but sadly there's no way I could stretch the definition of 'local' to include the likes of Catterick, Great Langton or Middleham.

I can't see the travel restrictions being lifted until the kids are heading back to school - so if they return on March 8th that doesn't leave a lot of time to get a trip in before the end of the season.

Simon
Yep I'm pretty sure that is when they'll get slackened a bit, probably to countywide like in tier 4, so like you say time would be tight. If my work commitments stay the same as they are currently it would just leave me a couple days to get on a river so heres hoping the schools go back a week early 😅

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm off work 3 days next week, hoping the river's dropped & lost it's colour...
I'm currently only working 3 days a week and I should think the Thames will have dropped by the end of the month if the forecast is accurate. But given its about 15 miles or so away I'm not sure the plod would consider it local under the current circumstances, despite the fact that I'd have to go further to the local hospital if required 🤔

mart123blue

life member
Site Supporter

Thanks for all your help. Went back last Tues and caught more fish than i could count, including my first ever grayling + another 3.

Cheers M