Gravel

Trent_Fisher

I have a large driveway running down the side of my house and then a lawn area at the front approx 5x5 metres. I’m looking at laying gravel on the lawn area so both our cars can park side by side.
Does anyone have any idea what sort of cost it would incur to do this?

Thanks in advance.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I have a large driveway running down the side of my house and then a lawn area at the front approx 5x5 metres. I’m looking at laying gravel on the lawn area so both our cars can park side by side.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
No expert but do it properly.
Turf need clearing down to a depth for a layer of type 1 that needs compacting before gravelling.
Bloke near me was also using plastic honeycomb looking things.

Check if tip will take 25m2 of turf, if so you need to get it there, or see if someone wants it or use a mini skip.
Then it’s enough material to fill 25m2 plus some nice edging to keep gravel in check.
Then it’s two days hard graft for two.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Check out the advice on here:

There's pages and pages of good information on here - especially

Simon

Chervil

Site Supporter
Remember to have gravel large enough, so it doesn't resemble cat litter ;).

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Get someone in - seriously, if done right it looks great, if done wrong after the first winter you'll be parking in muddy ruts and spreading mud around the drive, path and roadside.

Get someone with a digger and grab wagon to dig it all out and take away the spoil.
Backfill it with hardcore - most grab wagon operators will be able to supply this, and the digger man can spread it and compact it.
Go over the top of that with crusher-run and whacker it or roller it down.
Add kerbs or edgings where required, mortared into place and blinded with concrete.
Whacker 50mm of grit sand over the whole lot, then add weed matting.
Finally put the gravel of your choice over the matting to finish it off... job done.

Foul hooked

Site Supporter
What Dave said. Don’t forget the geotextile membrane under the stone to keep the grass and weeds from growing through