Grass hopper bait question and fungus question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkspawn

My old uncle says he does'nt beleive in using any other bait than grass hoppers. He says any fish will go for a grass hopper. I know not all fish will go for hoppers. What do you think about grass hoppers?

Also. Does any one know anything about how fungus may effect fish?

Lid

What does your young uncle say then, lol? I've not used hoppers myself, but have heard they are good for chub (isn't everything). Thing is a whole grasshopper is relatively large, so unless you break them up, they're gonna be too big for some fish.

I don't know much about all the different fungi that may affect fish. However fish get fungal infections of their 'skin', especially if some of their protective slime is rubbed off. In worst cases it will kill a fish, especially if it is run down to start with. This is one of the reasons why fish should be handled with wet hands only and only laid on soft ground, or preferably a wet unhooking mat.

Lid [:)]

lee cole

'fishin mad'
i might have to try grass hoppers i ll let you know when i have used them. do you know were i can get some.

lee argue.gif

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Other than filter feeders like bighead carp and largemouth buffalo (neither one found in the UK) I have to agree that any fish large enough to get all or part in it's mouth will probably go for them. And for smaller fish, try crickets or cockroaches. Or pieces of them which seem to work fine. Fish are accustomed to insect pieces since often the first fish to try to eat one won't get the whole thing and nice little bits will float away.

Easy to make a container for carrying them.
- Wooden box about 1ft square with 2 sides made of screen mesh.
- In the top, get a tin more than large enough for your hand and cut out top & bottom and have it no more than 5-6 inches long. Smooth the edges. Then somehow make the top of the can too large to fit thru the hole. Nails will do it.
- Then cut an opening just right for the can in the box top. Insert can in hole and you have a box that the insects can easily be put into, easily taken out by hand, but can't escape from by themselves.

To give you an idea of just how well fish take these things, the pic below shows a fish my wife caught yesterday. Whole cricket. #8 circle hook. And her hands are small but you can guage the fish's size by the float held near it.

Datafile3.asp

As to the "fungus" thing, since fish eat insects that fall in the water, if they were gonna get sick, you'd see more sick fish. I can't think of any potential problems from using hoppers.

Newt Vail, Concord, NC. USA
Datafile3.asp

Last edited:

Beebs

Bloody hell, I thought they were your well manicured fingernails, Newt! Are you sure you're not pulling our plums???????

Datafile3.asp

Beebs

Lovely photo Newt, but could it still be you. After all I don't know what yuou look like, do I???

PS, if the piccie is anything to go by, you're far to pretty to be a man. I think some conclusive proof of your identity is required. Come on, over 800 posts and not one recognisable photo!!!!!!

Datafile3.asp

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Best one I could find on my work PC.

Datafile3.asp

Datafile3.asp

mike s

Call that a float Newt[?]
It's bigger than the Buoys we tie boats to[:D][:D]

Cumbria Angling Centre

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
mike s - I have noticed you folks tend to use somewhat smaller floats. I tried a UK one once and couldn't see it at over about 8 feet.

And I found a more recent picture.
Datafile3.asp

Datafile3.asp

Darkspawn

You can get grass hoppers, most of the time, in fields in the summer.
As far as ordering them or purchasing them I have no idea.
Thanks for the input. Oh, and I'm not pulling anybodies "plums. "

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
I always find Crickets when i go looking in the fields is that somthing to do with living up North[?]

Tight lines [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.