Grass Carp

The Landlord

Site Supporter
There's a chat on our club's facebook page about Grass Carp in one of the ponds. Don't think I've ever seen one caught in my life, let alone caught one myself.
Anybody on here had them?

Total

Site Supporter
Caught a few.....Not really a spectacular fight, but go mental in the landing net!:giggle:

Dusty

Had one last year from a local park lake where they are caught regularly. Very peculiar looking fish.
I had mine off the top.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
There is a pool near the Lower Severn at a place called Uckinghall which had a good stock of grassies among other large carp.
When we had the severe floods a few years ago a fair few carp found their way into the Severn.

Come season start the next year there were three different twenty pound plus grassies caught by Barbel anglers within a fortnight.

All were put back and reports of others caught since are not circulated much

Dusty

Mine didn’t fight that well to be honest. The main issue I had was my landing net falling off when trying to land it!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Dyfrynn Springs just outside Cardiff have one lake with a good head of grass carp, as it is the oldest lake and the most natural, it is the one I tend to fish when I visit. Had a couple around 10lbs the year before last on single maggot fished on the drop. As has been said not a great fight and a little strange looking

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Mine didn’t fight that well to be honest. The main issue I had was my landing net falling off when trying to land it!

I fed down the edge went across with 16 mtrs looked down the edge it looked like some underwater excavations were going on, i hooked a piece of cat meat on and had the 2 in 2 put ins took half hour to get em out on Black hydro.

Dusty

I fed down the edge went across with 16 mtrs looked down the edge it looked like some underwater excavations were going on, i hooked a piece of cat meat on and had the 2 in 2 put ins took half hour to get em out on Black hydro.

From what I understand they are mainly caught off the top but I know a lot of lads on the nearby park lake get them on the bottom on boilies.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've never knowingly fished a water where they are present. The closest I've got to one is in an ornamental pond. I'm not overly concerned if that remains the case. Much like the zander, I'll not turn my nose up at one, but I'll not deliberately fish for them.

Zerkalo

Used to call these Wild Carp I caught Grass Carp, little did I know until I joined MD.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve fished a couple places that have them in but never caught one. They’re not something I’d target but would be happy enough to catch one to add to my species tally.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
That is the club record. It's the lake where the Surrey Tenchfishers hold our fishin.