Grandparents for Christmas 🎄

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A tablet with a Skype or Zoom account so they can talk to folks who are far away... not the best substitute for being face to face, but during lockdown it was a godsend for our family

Rob F

Site Supporter
Presents for old folks can be a minefield, I speak from trying to please my late mother!
From what you say of their circumstances, the simple fact that somebody is doing anything will probably count for a lot, as will a bit of company, the meal and general communal festive cheer. Whatever you end up getting them - Well done you!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Serious question...

If you grandparents, what would you buy them for Christmas to help combat loneliness?

Or what do you think they would benefit from?
As a grandparent who will see no-one Christmas Day I would be happy if the family bought us a European Christmas river cruise. Of for a little less, Christmas in a 4/5*hotel.

The tradition we started a few years ago is that we will have a family "Christmas" on Saturday 17th and then everyone is free to do as they like with no pressure to see us on the day. This avoids the perennial problem of which parents do you see on the day, if any.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Reading some of the replies I wonder if people think that being a grandparent means you are poor, housebound, huddled in front of a single bar electric fire, incontinent and have zero interest in anything remotely interesting/exciting requiring physical exertion or travel.

We are not all sitting waiting for God.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Buy them a load of hooks, line, Matchman hooktyers, and hook boxes and set up a little cottage industry powered by OAP's ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
PS Great idea of your mum's but as Neil posted, the worst thing you could do is treat them as 'special' cases/needs. They've got this far in life and most will be a lot hardier than the younger generations.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
PS Great idea of your mum's but as Neil posted, the worst thing you could do is treat them as 'special' cases/needs. They've got this far in life and most will be a lot hardier than the younger generations.
It's not just a jolly for anybody over 65. My mum has done it before and it was well received.

The people it's aimed at are really the most vulnerable. It was highlighted a lot more with C19. One old man was living in his cottage just outside city dulas. The cottage looked abandoned and had no glass in the upstairs windows.

Last one we got to do, the meal was in the village hall. I noticed one poor old man sat eating his meal had mould around his shirt cuffs and around his blazer pockets ☹️

I think its more about getting people together who normally would be alone.
I would just like to get some gifts for them too.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
This is absolutely brilliant! Well done Nat. I take in my ex inlaws over Christmas. She likes wooly scarves etc, he likes a bottle. For £30 you could do both.

DFL

Site Supporter
If it was my dear old gran it would be a bottle of Dubonnet and a crate of Guinness. (Think Catherine Tate)

You may have to Google Dubonnet Nat.😊

There is an old boy probably in his eighties down the bottom of my road, he spends every possible day, weather permitting sitting outside his front door in a deckchair with his prized Austin A40 sitting in front of his garage. I make the point of always stopping to say hello and ask if he needs anything, “I’m fine young John” is always the reply. I can sometimes see through his opened front door and the place is piled high from floor to ceiling with all sorts of stuff,.

I know one day he won’t be out in that deckchair anymore and that will sadden me. So Nat, just encourage people to talk and take an interest in their elders.

slaner

Site Supporter
not a grand parent but my step dad who was in his 70,s and went blind after an illness, i bought him an elexa thingy and he loved every minute of it almost to the point of driving my mother nuts

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
My brother bought Ken (my dad) an echo dot. I thought he would never get on with it but, it revolutionised the last 18 months of his life.

Silure

Site Supporter
We had both my Wifes parents with us. We converted the ground floor into a two-bedroom apartment for them with their own kitchen, lounge dining room, bathroom 10 years ago. Mother-in-law past last May. We provided meals for both for the last year. Father-in-law a pain in the arse now. As the say, "Life's a bitch then you die...... "

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Serious question...

If you grandparents, what would you buy them for Christmas to help combat loneliness?

Or what do you think they would benefit from?
Your company or others company ,loneliness is what i hear most complaints about . If its possible call and see them ,invite them around or a telephone call would be appreciated im sure . A group meeting ,a meal together is superb ,also money to help pay for heating is another great idea, 👍

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It's not just a jolly for anybody over 65. My mum has done it before and it was well received.

The people it's aimed at are really the most vulnerable. It was highlighted a lot more with C19. One old man was living in his cottage just outside city dulas. The cottage looked abandoned and had no glass in the upstairs windows.

Last one we got to do, the meal was in the village hall. I noticed one poor old man sat eating his meal had mould around his shirt cuffs and around his blazer pockets ☹️

I think its more about getting people together who normally would be alone.
I would just like to get some gifts for them too.
Well done you 👏 and your mom ,superb gesture and well recieved im sure 👍. I think it is about getting people together, a few games and a bit of laughter ,a nice meal in nice happy surroundings. 😊