Grandparents for Christmas 🎄

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Serious question...

If you grandparents, what would you buy them for Christmas to help combat loneliness?

Or what do you think they would benefit from?

Last edited:

JLK

Build them a house at the side of yours or your parents so they can be close to you all.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hugely difficult question to answer without knowing their circumstances and any interests they may have Nat.

Communication is huge for most people, My good lady video calls her mum at least twice a week as they are 200 miles apart since we moved and we brought her a tablet for that.

Greeny1178

Site Supporter
Both sides have sadly passed now , but if they were then same as before, bamby I’d see everyday as only lived down the road and between us we always looked after him , Nan lived down in Devon in the end with my antie so not so much but as much as we could , but grandparents and older neighbours are like dogs not just for Christmas 🎅🏼 .

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Build them a house at the side of yours or your parents so they can be close to you all.
Not exactly possible. They are not my grandparents...

My mum has paid for upto fifty Christmas/ carvery dinners at a pub close to My house in Wales.

We have access to a mini busses and the village hall for games, supper, drinks afterwards. It would be nice to be able to give out some gifts too.

I was thinking £20-30 each. Something to help keep them occupied??

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Hugely difficult question to answer without knowing their circumstances and any interests they may have Nat.

Communication is huge for most people, My good lady video calls her mum at least twice a week as they are 200 miles apart since we moved and we brought her a tablet for that.
Spur of the moment. We have huge amounts of elderly people living in cottages isolated around us.

My mum is trying to organise Christmas Dinner and an evening at the village hall.

I would like some gifts to give out but sadly I don't think they would be able to use tec 😕

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Most folk would probably like the 20 or 30 quid in their hand.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I see where you're coming from now Nat.
I have to say a heartfelt Well Done to your Mum for her initiative, a lovely gesture on her part and no doubt others that may well be involved.:upthumb:

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Both sides have sadly passed now , but if they were then same as before, bamby I’d see everyday as only lived down the road and between us we always looked after him , Nan lived down in Devon in the end with my antie so not so much but as much as we could , but grandparents and older neighbours are like dogs not just for Christmas 🎅🏼 .
Sadly they have to be just for Christmas.

They are not my grandparents and I live a good two hours away.

When I move to the area permanently I would like to do more

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I see where you're coming from now Nat.
I have to say a heartfelt Well Done to your Mum for her initiative, a lovely gesture on her part and no doubt others that may well be involved.:upthumb:
To be fair, everyone has come in on it. The pub has discounted the meals, we have an ex shearings coach driver who lives local. He has volunteered to drive the minibus.

A tree, Christmas decorations and table decorations from NEXT.

Only found out it was a go-ahead this morning.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
have no elderly in my family for a long time now with my parents, uncles and aunts all passed on so i have no idea but i did a quick search and there are quite a few sites and interesting ideas, maybe one of these might be of use

The below are aimed specifically for stocking fillers which might fit your need better

Have no idea if the above are any good as just had time to click and not read

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Hats, scarves etc. Maybe even some of those blankets with sleeves, foot warmers, etc. in fact the old reliable hot water bottle might be an idea.
Already been and emptied bnm of hats scarfs and gloves this morning! 😆

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Maybe you or your Mum could do a deal with a local supermarket and organize vouchers, that can be redeemed in the shop.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Maybe you or your Mum could do a deal with a local supermarket and organize vouchers, that can be redeemed in the shop.
It's not so much paying for food that's the problem. A lot of them have money for food but live so remote and they are very old.

A door to door minibus service with a few chaperones to go with them around the supermarkets is what's needed.