Grand Union Leighton Buzzard

Ed P

Hi All, newbie here getting back into fishing after god knows how long! Just after some advice regarding stretches of the Grand Union Canal in and around Leighton Buzzard for Carp and Bream. I’m hoping to get a few sessions in soon but unsure of some good locations? I did have a quick search so apologies if I missed any threads on this. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers Ed

G20

Site Supporter
Most stretches have carp and bream in them. Usual areas to look for are the obvious ones ie overhanging trees, wider parts etc When I had a Luton book I could fish on their members only stretches and had good results with the carp but also some good catches on the day ticket lengths. There are a few youtube vids on this area. The boats can be a bl##dy nightmare nowadays along with the cyclists, particularly in the summer so I rarely bother nowadays. Parking can be awkward too now that most of the boating fraternity park their cars close to the access points. Lots of other fishing in this area as a good alternative. It's uncommon to see anyone fishing the canal nowadays but there's still fish to be caught. Give it a go.

see on here

All-The-Gear-No-Idea

Ed P

Most stretches have carp and bream in them. Usual areas to look for are the obvious ones ie overhanging trees, wider parts etc When I had a Luton book I could fish on their members only stretches and had good results with the carp but also some good catches on the day ticket lengths. There are a few youtube vids on this area. The boats can be a bl##dy nightmare nowadays along with the cyclists, particularly in the summer so I rarely bother nowadays. Parking can be awkward too now that most of the boating fraternity park their cars close to the access points. Lots of other fishing in this area as a good alternative. It's uncommon to see anyone fishing the canal nowadays but there's still fish to be caught. Give it a go.

see on here

All-The-Gear-No-Idea

Many thanks for your reply. I’ll probably have a few early morning sessions before the boats start moving when the light allows. Also wanted to ask if anyone uses method feeders on the canal?

G20

Site Supporter
Why not a method? Boats can make it difficult tho'.... I weighed in 38lb of bream a couple of years ago in open water, but tree lined length on a small method (pellet). This was using my normal carp set-up! As you won't have to cast far you can ping a few pellets easily.
Watch out for those carp near the snags; there's some big ones in there.
Let me know how you get on....ATB

Ed P

Why not a method? Boats can make it difficult tho'.... I weighed in 38lb of bream a couple of years ago in open water, but tree lined length on a small method (pellet). This was using my normal carp set-up! As you won't have to cast far you can ping a few pellets easily.
Watch out for those carp near the snags; there's some big ones in there.
Let me know how you get on....ATB
Thanks for the advice. Will get a session in hopefully in the next few weeks. Looks like Grove marina is a good place to try. That location has cropped up a few times. Cheers Ed