Graduation Farce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yesterday I proudly attended my eldest daughter's graduation ceremony at Leeds Uni - after three years of hard study she graduated in Physocology
She was joined by many others who likewise had studied hard to get their degrees

Then what? Listening to the news today it appears that Shilpa Shetty has been awarded a Dr in Arts degree for the way she handled the racism incident on Big Brother - wtf is all that about?
She openly admitted that she did nothing other than be herself, how many genuine people out there deserve some recognition for their achievements but get nothing because they're not famous?
And further more why the heck should some 'name' be awarded an acolade that others study years to achieve?

Geesh, it makes me mad [:(!]

RedNeckAngling

9ft is too long
I think they are only "honorary" Doctrates Dave. Basically a sheet of andrex with ink on them. No way could she use it to get a job I don't think. I maybe wrong though. [:D][:D]

norm

my graduation is on Friday

that is one thing that really gets on my nerves also Dave

WHY? what does it mean?

even Alan Shearer got one

he better not get a job instead of me lol

Hatman

Drawbag ace
It must really annoy you to see Norm getting a degree for 'services to fish' Dave. But I suppose all those years of skillfully avoiding hooking them must have impressed the Vegan community no end.

norm

HI looney

i see you have no personal best records in your profile

your fish must just be
Datafile11.asp

i did say fish lol

Hatman

Drawbag ace
LOL that was the one that got away. I'd tell you how big, but i wouldn't want you to get fish envy and feel inadequate [:D]

Bill G

Grandad
is you daughter going to do a case study onyou dave
the results would make interesting reading for us all im sure[8D]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
With one daughter doing/done Psychology and the other doing a degree in Mental Health Nursing, I'm well stuffed lol

I've just noticed I couldn't even spell it in my first post lol

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Dave don't feel isolated. We all know you have an "ology" in using a hammer and screwdriver[:D]

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
....... and beware of presents of a clothing nature. [;)][}:)][:D][:D]
(straight jackets an all that[}:)][:D])

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
When I was a lad (oh God, here we go)...

Schools were schools, and they were attended by schoolchildren.

There were Polytechnics, which demanded lower entrance qualifications, but which tended to provide a more practical education than the more academically inclined Universities.

An HND from a Poly was highly regarded by employers.

A good degree from a university was an achievement, and required years of hard study with a shedload of final examinations.

Now you become a student at the age of 11, and anything with students over the age of 16 has become a University.

A few sessions on t'internet downloading essays for pasting into course work, and Bob's yer uncle, cap & gown time. [;)]

I should stress that Leeds University is a fine establishment, and any degree awarded by that august body has been hard earned and well deserved. [:p]

But I don't lose any sleep over the awarding of honorary degrees to here-today-gone-tomorrow celebrities. The degrees are as pointless as the recipients.

norm

theres someone that does not know what they are talking about lol

i assure you i put 3 years of my life into that (and also 3 year HNC to get on the degree course in the first place)

at no time was it easy

Benji

Account Locked
Have to agree Norm BSc (Hons), I heard somebody on radio 4 the other day, talking about university courses and saying employers dismiss any course that ends in studies, I would like to see a bigger focus on higher education towards engineering and the sciences, and the entrance requirements to be highered, we should not be putting people on degree courses without basic numeracy and literacy.

Benji BSc (Hons)

Status
Not open for further replies.