got laid off

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty198111

well as the title says, i got laid off

but to be honest i kinda knew it was coming, work had dried up and we were sat around the office most days doing nothing so he had to let us go and he has closed the doors on the company.

i was saddened when he finally said we had to go, ive been working there for 3.5 years, but as i said i was expecting it so got used to the fact a while ago.

Anyway as i kinda knew it was going to happen i made plans and got the ball rolling in another direction.

i bought a small van, i got loads of tools and im rather handy with a drill lol.

i started to put a few adds in the local papers and shop windows ect

and the calls started coming in.

anyway this month ive taken 2367 and thats only working weekends and some evenings, of course i got to give our "friend" at the tax office a chunk of that but im happy at the moment.

the calls are coming in regular now and i seem to be getting a good percentage of the jobs i price, i think this is down to the fact im working from home and dont have over heads at the moment.

im booked up until october, so hopefully things will go from strength to strength

a very happy mat

Bill G

Grandad
have drill can travel .when do i start [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:p][:p][:p][:p]

well done for getting yourself sorted so quickly matty.
one piece of advice mate ,get yourself a really good accountant ,one that knows what you can claim relief from .

matty198111

Originally posted by Bill G

have drill can travel .when do i start [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:p][:p][:p][:p]

well done for getting yourself sorted so quickly matty.
one piece of advice mate ,get yourself a really good accountant ,one that knows what you can claim relief from .

already sorted mate

my cousin is a fully qualified accountant and her sister is a bank manager in london so i have asked for the help and there happy to give me as much advice as they can.

Uncle Festa

aka worker1
Good luck Matty,nice to hear.

I've worked for 25 yrs for my self,good and bad times.

My advice for what it's worth;

Don't stop pricing for work even if you have a full calendar,people can and do change their mind.
Still price(fixed price if needs be) and explain that you can and are willing to do the work but they will have to wait as you are busy and leave it upto them.
If they wait you get the job if not you have at least still turned up/priced and explained the situation it goes a long way to be honest with customers or potential customers.
I know of builders/decorators ect who won't qoute because they have work on,then panic when the work dries up.

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Also if you are seen to be very busy people will automatically know you are high in demand.

bloomer

fishing monster
Originally posted by svenc

Also if you are seen to be very busy people will automatically know you are high in demand.

this is so true, i never use any tradesperson who says they can do it tomorrow.

I landscape and am currently booking for next year, i have a couple of odd days left before the end of this year but for any sizeable work its next year now and the customers you want won't mind waiting, those who want it done tomorrow are going to be hassle in the long run anyway.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Well done Matty.

Might I politely suggest you put some dosh aside in a savings account for when the taxman calls?

I was self-employed as a cabbie once and didn't have to pay any tax until I had been trading for two years. If I'd not put some aside it would have hurt.
As it was I kept reciepts for every tank-full of petrol and all servicing items and bills. I kept a daily 'in' and 'out' book with a total for each day, either in plus of minus figures and a monthly total. When I gave it to the taxman he couldn't believe his eyes and only taxed me 700 for two full years work!

Then a year later they gave me half of it back as a rebate [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.