Got an acolyte ultra need a slightly more powerful back up float rod

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm thinking of looking into a second float rod to compliment my drennan acolyte ultra. The ultra is perfect for 80% of my float fishing which is on rivers where the biggest fish is likely to be 4-5lb and on my local Stillwater where the average silvers session is rarely interrupted by more than one carp. Where it's not so ideal is when I occasionally fish a more commercial style fishery where fluking half a dozen or so carp is pretty much inevitable, can take an age landing such fish on the ultra which is a nervy experience watching it double over but mainly it just ruins your silvers swim so essentially I'm looking for a second float rod that's still for silvers but just has a little more backbone.

The logical answer would be the acolyte plus but I can't really justify its cost for relatively occasional use. At the moment I'm thinking of the drennan vertex as it felt nice on a brief waggle of it I had at the big one show plus it's line rating of 2.5-5lb suggests it's just got that little bit more backbone than the ultra which is 2.5lb-4lb+ but it would be good to hear from someone who's used it and hear suggestions on any other rods in its price range?

Thanks in advance!

Louis D

Site Supporter
I don't have experience of comparing an ultra to a plus or the vertex rods but I do have a 12 ft acolyte carp waggler. The difference in ratings you suggest doesn't sound like a worthwhile difference to me, something like 4-6 lb would be complementary unless you wanted something which was essentially the same rod but could be a little bit stronger. The acolytec carpwaggler is a powerful rod easily capable of doubles but equally usable with skimmers. Just bear in mind you don't need 13 ft on a lake unless you're chucking 40 metres plus.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got the 12' Acolyte carp waggler too and it is surprisingly versatile - so much so that I rarely take two float rods to most commercial venues anymore 'cos I know the other rod is unlikely to be used.
Unfortunately my local tackle shop doesn't stock the Vertex range so I'm not in a position to comment regarding them.

Simon

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Same here, 12ft Acolyte Carp Waggler, still very sensitive and very versatile as an all round float rod that will handle bigger lumps

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions, I feel given the price of the carp waggler I’d might as well get plus as there’s not much in it. Want to avoid spending that much if I can but needs must I might have to do it haha

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I've got a Plus and a CW, you can tell the difference, and the CW is slightly more rigid, but still very light and sensitive. I think you'd be a bit more nervous with a 12lb carp hooked on the Plus than you would the CW, although you'd handle it with either.

A cheaper option (which I have as well) is a Preston Tyson Waggler, think it was around £75, that's a very nice rod but feels a little more powerful and perhaps not quite so much of an all rounder as the CW.

If you go cheaper then that there are some good rods like the Shimano Forcemaster Commercial rods, I have a 10ft waggler rod and it's brilliant. I've had carp to about 12lb on that and it was superb, probably one of my favourite 'cheaper' rods.

Don't pay too much attention to line ratings stamped on the rod either mate.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The Plus does sound more favourable than the CW then as tbh something that comfortably handles a 12 pounder is not really what I’m after more something that avoids making a 6 pounder fighter like a 12 pounder which is which is what happens with the ultra, its fine in isolation but a bit tedious after a few of them! On my local lake the carp are all doubles but as you only generally hook one day I just let them swim around on the ultra til they get off or are done but when I hook numerous upper singles on other lakes I could do with the extra power of the plus to get them in a bit quicker.

Got my dad the Tyson for his birthday and he likes it but think I agree with you it is probably slightly too powerful for my liking.

trotter2

I have acolyte plus rods, ultra rods and an acolyte carp waggler in 11ft. That's 5 acolytes in total after the bank holiday it will be 6 lol.
All are brilliant the 11ft carp waggler is also a very nice rod you will not be disappointed.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I have acolyte plus rods, ultra rods and an acolyte carp waggler in 11ft. That's 5 acolytes in total after the bank holiday it will be 6 lol.
All are brilliant the 11ft carp waggler is also a very nice rod you will not be disappointed.
Lucky man :D

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The 13ft ultra float is my only acolyte at the moment but I’m looking to add the 11ft ultra feeder before long then if I get a plus that will be after that. Think that’ll be my lot unless I find a reason to get the plus feeder eventually as well!

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
The 13ft ultra float is my only acolyte at the moment but I’m looking to add the 11ft ultra feeder before long then if I get a plus that will be after that. Think that’ll be my lot unless I find a reason to get the plus feeder eventually as well!
There's always a reason :ROFLMAO: