Goodwood Festival of Speed

MrBen

Site Supporter
Well that’s my working week finished, alarm on for an early start to get to goodwood, travelling with my best buddy, having a lads break. Really looking forward to seeing lots of Porsches old and new, and my childhood hero cars the group b rally cars.

Any other drowners going?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been a couple times, once in 2018 with a couple mates and once in I think 2016 with my dad. Is a really good day out. Just missed out on going with work in 2019 as had only just joined then we’ve not done it as a company since which makes sense really as was a random thing for us to do in the first place.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Been before... cracking day out... my ears were ringing for days after...😜🤣

BaldiMug

I've been a couple of times previously; I live in the area so I can hear it if the wind blows in the right direction. It's a bit damp here at the moment!

BaldiMug

Just had the red arrows busting the roof-tiles as they left the area after doing their display! (they do it every year, never gets old)

MrBen

Site Supporter
Just had the red arrows busting the roof-tiles as they left the area after doing their display! (they do it every year, never gets old)
The odd thing is I see them regularly as I’m a Lincolnshire lad, but nice to see them displaying.

Seen some amazing cars and the sound of them up the hill was just wow. The electric Ford supervan is just ridiculously quick and quiet.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Well what an experience, firstly I’ll apologise for lack of photographs, didn’t take any, saw so many living life through a lens, it just left me free to look and watch. The other thing is the smells of goodwood, you just can’t capture that you can get so close to the cars.

One of the highlights was seeing Wayne Rainey back on a motorbike, i remembered hearing the news he had become paralysed in an accident and crying at the breakfast table, so to see him riding past, flanked by Mick Doohan, Kenny Roberts and Kevin Schwartz was just amazing. Plus the smell of two stoke left on the breeze.

The noise of formula 1 cars, group c and LMP cars was just spine tingling whether they were on full throttle or overrun slowing for a corner.

The electric vehicles were just bonkers, the speed and acceleration along with a very different noise was impressive, the new Ford supervan with closer to 2000hp just ripping up the hill was crazy.

The ability to walk around the various paddocks, so being able to look underneath and all round this years Dakar winning hilux (ok not much hilux it’s more hilux shape) having seen it blasting through the dunes in January and there it was along with Loebs second place prodrive vehicle, and one of his mechanical crew was there looking after it and spare time to talk me through some of it’s features and technical points.

If super or hyper cars are your thing there was just everything, but they aren’t just static displays, the whistles blow and off they drive to line up for a run up the hill.

Then if you get time it’s definitely worth a meannder through the car parks, because the vehicles some people have come in is as varied as the cars on display. On my meander around there was a 1962 fiat 600 multipla, it was immaculate, and to me one of the rarest things I’d seen, never seen one before and was unaware the multipla name had been used before.

If you’ve been, you’ll already know how brilliant it is, if you love cars, motorsport, bikes it’s definitely worth doing at least once in your life.