Good things I’ve used this year (2021)

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
This is my annual thread, as usual not everything below is a new product this year, but it’s new to me. As I’ve been fishing the Gloucester canal for the first time ever I’ve also tried some different stuff.

Preston Supera 10ft 30g rod - love this rod for anything commercial up to 40m
Preston Magnitude 420 - excellent feeder reel, great clutch. Got 2 now.
Middy Knot picker - should have bought one years ago, also helps hooking hemp
Preston Ventalite Small Side tray - great for travelling light and now use on top of Matrix extending tray for waterproofing
Maver Hyperlite 55x45Landing net - light, big mesh (6mm), great for scooping
Cresta Choppie scissors - best out there for chopping worms
Preston Precision Pellet waggler - cast straight settle quick, caught lots using them
Drennan as7 float - good on the canal down the track
Drennan braid 0.10mm - used on the canal, no tangles, worked well
Adrenaline mega Byte Red Krill paste - now my go to summer carp paste
Guru pulse 4lb - silvers Waggler and feeder line, sinks lovely, low memory
Cresta identity 190 Hardcase - great quality item, great capacity
Vulcan heated gilet - pricey but worth every penny, quality item will last years
Preston hybrid feeders - caught a lot on these, cast very straight.

As many are aware I started my YouTube channel ‘Paul’s Tackle Reviews’ last December and have reviewed lots of gear (including some of the above). With over 850 subscribers and nearly 80,000 views of my videos and lots of good feedback I’m a bit blown away by it. Many thanks to anyone whose been on it and to those who without prompting have sent me messages on here giving me great feedback.

What good stuff is new to you this year?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been a couple new rods for me this year. First one a 14ft drennan acolyte ultra float. Knew I’d like it as it was supposed to be very similar to the 13ft one I already had and loved. It is indeed just as good. Much like the 13ft it’s ridiculously light, very crisp on the cast, mend and strike but soft enough to not pull hooks. Action is very similar through the top half but I’d say it’s got marginally more power lower down which I guess figures given it’s carrying more length. Been a revelation being able to have two genuinely good float rods set up at once caught me more fish for sure being able to be more versatile rig wise instantly. Would quite like another but that’s getting expensively excessive! The other new rod being the 11ft 1.25tc drennan twin tip duo. Not used it with the Avon top but it makes a nice feeder rod for the money with the 2oz quiver and does the job I need it for nicely which was simply something something to cast a bit more weight than my 11ft acolyte feeder.

Then the only other completely new stuff to me that I can think of is a drennan bait waiter (which is perfectly serviceable not much you can say about a bait waiter is there) and a maver silverfish landing net which has filled the gap between my little dinsmore pan net and bigger folding nets well being about the right size and is easier to lift and move through water than it’s Preston predecessor. Oh and drennan AS3 floats although tbh I can’t really judge them yet as only used them a couple times and don’t know anything about pole floats tbh.

Aside from tackle Blake baits roach a choc ground bait has been very good. Well can never really tell if it’s it or the loose feed working but the colour, smell and texture once mixed (easiest ground bait to mix I’ve ever used) seem perfect to me and I’ve not had a bad session on it yet. Not sure if it’s any more effective than my usual dynamite frenzied hemp stuff but it’s certainly a lot easier to mix. It’s been rebranded as roach multi match in the last few weeks but word is it’s near enough to if not possibly still exactly the same stuff.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not much new for me, Preston Extremity reel stands out, would buy Preston reels again.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
This is my annual thread, as usual not everything below is a new product this year, but it’s new to me. As I’ve been fishing the Gloucester canal for the first time ever I’ve also tried some different stuff.

Preston Supera 10ft 30g rod - love this rod for anything commercial up to 40m
Preston Magnitude 420 - excellent feeder reel, great clutch. Got 2 now.
Middy Knot picker - should have bought one years ago, also helps hooking hemp
Preston Ventalite Small Side tray - great for travelling light and now use on top of Matrix extending tray for waterproofing
Maver Hyperlite 55x45Landing net - light, big mesh (6mm), great for scooping
Cresta Choppie scissors - best out there for chopping worms
Preston Precision Pellet waggler - cast straight settle quick, caught lots using them
Drennan as7 float - good on the canal down the track
Drennan braid 0.10mm - used on the canal, no tangles, worked well
Adrenaline mega Byte Red Krill paste - now my go to summer carp paste
Guru pulse 4lb - silvers Waggler and feeder line, sinks lovely, low memory
Cresta identity 190 Hardcase - great quality item, great capacity
Vulcan heated gilet - pricey but worth every penny, quality item will last years
Preston hybrid feeders - caught a lot on these, cast very straight.

As many are aware I started my YouTube channel ‘Paul’s Tackle Reviews’ last December and have reviewed lots of gear (including some of the above). With over 850 subscribers and nearly 80,000 views of my videos and lots of good feedback I’m a bit blown away by it. Many thanks to anyone whose been on it and to those who without prompting have sent me messages on here giving me great feedback.

What good stuff is new to you this year?
Browning sphere pole is awesome, kaizen hooks not new but awesome lol , havent done much fishing this year 😄

PeteC

I've become just a little bit obsessed with counting fish...on rivers and canals as I don't fish commercials.

I tried a couple and never could work out a way of putting the counters in a place where they where accessible and didn't fall over...then I found a Maver counter which is made with a hole through the base supposedly so that you can clamp it between your keepnet and box/bankstick....that didn't work for me as the tilt mechanism on my net fouled the framework of the counter. A little bit of lateral thinking and the use of a Preston 90' bend fitting (or whatever it's called) and I could screw it into the top of the leg on my box. It's still in front of the net so it's fish in net and click counter...easy..!
As long as you don't overdo the average estimate of how big the fish are its remarkably accurate and I would never now be without it...

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for a Village!
Shimano FX reels (£20) i have it from a source that they are the same parts (& part nos.) as the Sienna (£30) - just missing the second bearing race around the handle - it's replaced with a "plastic bush" - which is on the "off" side if you're RH and the handle is on the left side.
I am left handed and have had no issues with the reels even after swapping over the handle, i have the 2500 and the 3000 for float and bomb work respectively.

johnfranks

Maver 921, awesome pole. Already had double figure carp on it no problem. Spares package second to none. And the new Maver side pullas are great.
Also my Daiwa N-Zon feeder chair, surprisingly light and very comfy.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Two new rods for me. Bought both the 15ft 6" and 13ft 6" Browning Sphere spliced tip float rods. Amazing trotting rods (stick and bolo), haven't been able to stay away from the Trent since I got them. Regards, David.
I’ve heard good things about these rods. I’m a big fan of Tricast rods but i’m going to have a look at these when I get chance (y)

nejohn

Site Supporter
Still very impressed with my Rive R waggler rods in various lengths and actions with the 13ft medium being pick of the range, it's very light, fast actioned with a soft tip but with a bit of grunt when you load the blank a bit. Also been impressed with guru kiazan hooks and Drake wagglers. Also the Mosella medium carryall has been brilliant the design is exactly what I was looking for and the quality is superb

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My sidewinder and my new Hardy Eureka (which I'm not allowed to have till Christmas)

TiggerXFM

I got a greys lightweight wading jacket earlier this year and it's been just what I wanted, waterpròof and breathable, and packs ito a small bundle weighing very little.
On a recommendation from a friend I got some drennan lock and slide olivets as an alternative to using several shot for my bulk when trotting. Appart from loosing a couple they have been great?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I got a greys lightweight wading jacket earlier this year and it's been just what I wanted, waterpròof and breathable, and packs ito a small bundle weighing very little.
On a recommendation from a friend I got some drennan lock and slide olivets as an alternative to using several shot for my bulk when trotting. Appart from loosing a couple they have been great?
Plasticine is your friend... cheaper than olivettes

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Daiwa Tournament Pro X absolute pleasure to use although not used as much as I would like.
13 Ft Daiwa Nzon 180g rod coupled with a Preston Innovations Extremity Feeder 520 Reel. Hopefully get out on Tuesday on the Trent to give it a proper test out, but the limited use it has had has been very enjoyable.,

TiggerXFM

Plasticine is your friend... cheaper than olivettes
I don't think it would work as I think it would come off or slide down the line when I cast.
I have thought abput using it for touch legering though, hoping it will just pull off the line if snagged between rocks.

Hicky

Got a waterproof, warm coat n trousers set from decathlon. Cheap as chips, it does exactly what it says on the tin. I got son no2 the same, he’s tested it to the fullest in heavy rain. Just over £50 for a set in the sale perfect for fishing and wildfowling.