Good news

Sportsman

Site Supporter
My mate and fishing buddy has decided to downsize. He currently lives in a large house with acreage and is finding it hard to keep on top of it.
He has found 2bed bungalow and just bought it (Army pensions must be good) :D
The good news it has a half acre lake in the garden that has, at the very least, carp in it. Don't know how many or how big -yet;)
We were chatting about i and made arrangements to have a first try later this week, but the forecast is for 40*C.. (37 today)
Seems like a good place for a couple of pensioners to sit and BS an evening away. Terry was a Sgt Major in the Paras, and is full of it;):cool:

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Right, you can get a flight from Leeds Bradford to Limoges for £22.60 one way. We can pick you up there, it's only a 30min drive.
My mate Howard (Yorkie) has a 7 acres day ticket water with carp, tench, bream, roach, chub, sturgeon and god knows what else. That is just a 10 min drive from Terrys, or you could bivvie there. Howard has a couple of bivvies set up. He also has some tackle to rent, but not to the standard you might be used to. We could have a knock up on there and leisurely fishing and BBQ or two back at Terry's place.
I might be able to arrange a day or two on a specimen catfish lake, tackle rental available and fish in excess of 150Lb, probably rent bivvies as well
Could be a good long weekend, but I would leave it 'til it cools down a bit.
Anyone interested let me know, and form an orderly queue:unsure:

Forgot to say, you'll have to bring your own pies, you can bring some for me and Terry as well.

Bullmoose Jackson

That sounds incredible. My dream is to own my own small lake / big pond / whatever (even a stretch of stream or canal).

Sportsman

Site Supporter
The far end of my garden drops away to a small river The R, Isle, The problem is the drop is around 200' over a short distance. We have about 150M of frontage that I have never seen. It would probably take a mountain rescue team and a lot of ropes to get me down there and back up again :p
The really annoying thing is that is is two acres of oak and chestnut woodland and because of the steepness it is so difficult to get the logs out I have to buy firewood logs from my neighbour :mad:
My mate and I did try to get some fallen timber up the bank to use for firewood. It involved much bad language, ground anchors, pulley blocks and a Landy.
It turned out to be much easier to buy the logs.:D

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Out of interest, to find the house on Google maps search this 45.382110, 0.963364

The change in elevation between house and river is 66m or 216'
We own the woodland between the house and the river (not all of it, a strip around 140m wide) and can't walk on it:cautious: Views in that direction are pretty good though.
We bought the 4 bed house with around 20,000 M sq (5 acres) for around £200,000 (€221,00)
Houses with access to water are not that rare, or expensive.