Good loaded waggler?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
😂 Haha yeah now imagine looking at them 30 yards out with the sun beating down on the surface with the trees reflecting on it and you see all sorts 😅

Flipping bleak can be the bain of the river anglers around here. Thames is crawling with them in places and it’s not short of them on the Avon and Ouse either. It’s why we do a lot of hemp fishing as much as it is it just being a very effective method in it’s own right. Chuck a maggot, caster or worm into certain pegs on certain days and you’d think there was pretty much only bleak in the water 😡 reckon you could walk across them 😂
Not many predators ? Big perch or pike ? And what’s up with Cormorants and Gooseanders ? Have you none of those down your way. Or are they fed up with eating bleak all the time ? 🤣🤣

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thankfully not many cormorant but loads of pike and perch, just more bleak than they can eat!
I sympathise with you pal. I remember when the Trent at Winthorpe bridge to Crankley point was like that. You’d fish a bulk of three swan on a chubber and the sodding things would still beat the better fish to the bait. More often than not we’d pack up early because of the bleak. We even ignored the Trent for a few years favouring the river Witham all because of the bleak. When the power stations were running and the water was hot ( even in winter ) the bleak would multiply like crazy. Very frustrating. 😡

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I sympathise with you pal. I remember when the Trent at Winthorpe bridge to Crankley point was like that. You’d fish a bulk of three swan on a chubber and the sodding things would still beat the better fish to the bait. More often than not we’d pack up early because of the bleak. We even ignored the Trent for a few years favouring the river Witham all because of the bleak. When the power stations were running and the water was hot ( even in winter ) the bleak would multiply like crazy. Very frustrating. 😡
Thankfully we can get around it by fishing hemp for roach most the time, will even get the odd bleak doing that but its occasional. There are some stretches where fishing a bulk of a 2 or 3 no1 or bbs immediately above the hook length will get a maggot or caster through them more often than not (key is to only feed about half a dozen maggots with a dozen to a couple dozen grains of hemp) but on others stretches you can't get a feeder through them never mind any float rig!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Another vote for Nick Gilbert's. I don't fish the waggler that much but I have a selection of Nick's and they are superb.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thankfully we can get around it by fishing hemp for roach most the time, will even get the odd bleak doing that but its occasional. There are some stretches where fishing a bulk of a 2 or 3 no1 or bbs immediately above the hook length will get a maggot or caster through them more often than not (key is to only feed about half a dozen maggots with a dozen to a couple dozen grains of hemp) but on others stretches you can't get a feeder through them never mind any float rig!
Some anglers used to try feeding them off often throwing a gallon of maggots at them. I tried this on a couple of occasions myself but, it just made matters worse. I got even more bleak in my peg. 🙄. You don’t hear of big bleak catches now on the Trent. I’m sure there’s still a few there but, nowhere near the numbers there used to be ..... Thank goodness. Problem we have now on the tidal Trent is with crabs taking your bait off your hook. Especially on a night. I’ve never known this before. Must be global warming. 🙄🤣🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Some anglers used to try feeding them off often throwing a gallon of maggots at them. I tried this on a couple of occasions myself but, it just made matters worse. I got even more bleak in my peg. 🙄. You don’t hear of big bleak catches now on the Trent. I’m sure there’s still a few there but, nowhere near the numbers there used to be ..... Thank goodness. Problem we have now on the tidal Trent is with crabs taking your bait off your hook. Especially on a night. I’ve never known this before. Must be global warming. 🙄🤣🤣
Not sure if you could feed them off here, too expensive to try! They don't seem as bad in matches as they are for us pleasure anglers, I wonder if under those circumstances the extra anglers see them spread out a bit more or maybe one poor sod cops the lot 😂 Only slight redeeming feature here is that we do quite often get the bigger ones, not unusual to get ouncers which are at least better than the wafer ones. Never hear of anyone desparate enough to try catch a bag of them here, have often wondered how many you could catch if you targeted them given you get enough trying to avoid them. Not sure I want to be the one to try and find out though 😅

Slightly back on topic i went through my loaded drennan crystal wagglers yesterday, well those in my main box possibly some more in my roving box. Think I had 3 1g inserts, 7 1.5g inserts (which seemed a bit excessive so put 2 aside for grandad as 5 is enough for me at once!) 1 2g insert, 2 of the old style inserts both 2bb one thin tip one thick tip, 2 old style 2bb straights, 3 viswags with a 1, 3 and 4, 1 1.5g giant insert and 1 2g carp insert. Can cover pretty much everything I do with that lot but tbh the 1.5g and 1g inserts cover 90% of my waggler fishing hence why I've got a decent number of those, like to have at least 3 of each of my regularly used floats in case of misshaps! Also not having too many at once means I can always accommodate adding a couple to tackle shop orders to get up to the free postage threshold 😉

RMNDIL

Not sure if you could feed them off here, too expensive to try! They don't seem as bad in matches as they are for us pleasure anglers, I wonder if under those circumstances the extra anglers see them spread out a bit more or maybe one poor sod cops the lot 😂 Only slight redeeming feature here is that we do quite often get the bigger ones, not unusual to get ouncers which are at least better than the wafer ones. Never hear of anyone desparate enough to try catch a bag of them here, have often wondered how many you could catch if you targeted them given you get enough trying to avoid them. Not sure I want to be the one to try and find out though 😅
Trust me. It's just as bad in matches. In the summer I never bother taking a float rod unless I think tares will work. If you wanted to feed them off you'd need a lot of bait & a lot of money to buy it and more than 5 hours ! If they're that bad you fish for them. However..................often they are on your long pole line/waggler line but won't come in close enough to a useful catchable distance.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Trust me. It's just as bad in matches. In the summer I never bother taking a float rod unless I think tares will work. If you wanted to feed them off you'd need a lot of bait & a lot of money to buy it and more than 5 hours ! If they're that bad you fish for them. However..................often they are on your long pole line/waggler line but won't come in close enough to a useful catchable distance.
That would make sense, obviously most first half of the season float won matches are won with hemp or tare but I see the odd one on maggot/caster and think how the hell have they pulled that off which made me think that possibly it's not as bad in such matches. Just as well that hemp works more often than not from a couple weeks into the season until about halfway through or we wouldn't be able to do much float fishing would we! I find you can only really float fish maggot/caster once into September and even then often only early in the sessions, it's usually October before you can fish a whole session on it really. Thank god for roach on hemp eh!

RMNDIL

You can fish maggot & caster - in a fashion - but will end up with a large bulk (3g or 4g and even 5g) just above the hooklength and use no loosefeed but hard gbait (or 100% soil if it's really really bad) packed with H&C or dead maggot or using a dropper. Then you'll talk to someone after the match who has hardly seen a bleak all day !! If you can get a maggot down to the proper fish you'll get a bite much quicker. In fact, hemp & tares fed in gbait works fished with a bulk (but not shotted so positively). Several years ago Yellow Tares worked really very well (Sweetcorn). I can remember catching 20lb - 30lb many times in smaller matches over 2 seasons and even had almost 20lb of all perch i one !!!! Then it stopped working.:confused:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You can fish maggot & caster - in a fashion - but will end up with a large bulk (3g or 4g and even 5g) just above the hooklength and use no loosefeed but hard gbait (or 100% soil if it's really really bad) packed with H&C or dead maggot or using a dropper. Then you'll talk to someone after the match who has hardly seen a bleak all day !! If you can get a maggot down to the proper fish you'll get a bite much quicker. In fact, hemp & tares fed in gbait works fished with a bulk (but not shotted so positively). Several years ago Yellow Tares worked really very well (Sweetcorn). I can remember catching 20lb - 30lb many times in smaller matches over 2 seasons and even had almost 20lb of all perch i one !!!! Then it stopped working.:confused:
Blimey that is a big bulk doubt I've ever used more than a couple gram. Never done the no loose feed thing tend to just get the maggots down in ground bait and/or a dropper then just loose feed hemp and hardly any maggot.
Depends where I am really. Sandford for example I find it's near impossible to get through the bleak yet the roach are quick onto hemp. I tend to just set up a single or double dropper loaded insert waggler rig (slight link to OP 😅) or strung out stick and just have a brief go on maggot whilst I get a bit of hemp in before switching onto hemp pretty quickly. As its so hemp focused there I only sometimes ground bait as can often just feed the hemp. By comparison at medley I often find I can fish maggot on a bulk stick rig for an hour, sometimes even a couple hours before the bleak get too bad. Which is just as well as tends to take maybe an hour for hemp to work there. Once the bleak are active I then string out the shot to try hemp and either stay with the strung out stick if it's steady or go onto the aforementioned waggler rig if they're really having it, or occasionally revert to the bulk stick and maggot if it slows. Because of the scope to fish maggot there I almost always ground bait then feed hemp and a bit of maggot over the top. Then at northmoor I tend to find I can just alternate between bulked and strung out stick and alternate between hemp and maggot whilst feeding the same and rarely ground baiting. Never really faired well on waggler there but others do well on it with hemp. Then at Clifton I've tried all sorts and never really figured it out seems different every time 😂

Serious tangent here but at least those wagglers are loaded ones 😉

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
used to like fishing the Witham at Kirkstead bridge and at stixwould when i fished on tidal trent at dunham bridge could see flatfish if water was clear not fished there for a longtime lots of gudgeon on trent when i used to fish it as well like drennan wagglers not loaded though

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
used to like fishing the Witham at Kirkstead bridge and at stixwould when i fished on tidal trent at dunham bridge could see flatfish if water was clear not fished there for a longtime lots of gudgeon on trent when i used to fish it as well like drennan wagglers not loaded though
Dunham still fishes well with stick and caster for roach. Some decent weights last year with some roach around the 1.5lb barrier. And as you know tidal roach are pristine. Not many gudgeon now mate I’m afraid. Which is a shame as they have got me out of jail a few times in matches. Not heard of any bream coming out of the dubs last year. Saying that I don’t know if any anglers fancy the long walk anymore. We were all a lot younger then. 🙄

Won quite a few matches at Kirkstead with winter roach. Dragging up to two foot on the deck under a 3 or 4 swan waggler. Some lovely roach nets. You always got the pike though didn’t you ? Worst for pike I found was Tatts bridge. Crawling with crocs that place. 😫.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Dunham still fishes well with stick and caster for roach. Some decent weights last year with some roach around the 1.5lb barrier. And as you know tidal roach are pristine. Not many gudgeon now mate I’m afraid. Which is a shame as they have got me out of jail a few times in matches. Not heard of any bream coming out of the dubs last year. Saying that I don’t know if any anglers fancy the long walk anymore. We were all a lot younger then. 🙄

Won quite a few matches at Kirkstead with winter roach. Dragging up to two foot on the deck under a 3 or 4 swan waggler. Some lovely roach nets. You always got the pike though didn’t you ? Worst for pike I found was Tatts bridge. Crawling with crocs that place. 😫.
Yes used to fish for pike and for silvers at same time at Kirkstead
Dunham Bridge bream used to be caught at side of bridge must admit had more fish on Newark Dyke but had good days at Collingham weir and scrapyard stretch on newark dyke also Farndon must be 20 years since I fished trent though

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yes used to fish for pike and for silvers at same time at Kirkstead
Dunham Bridge bream used to be caught at side of bridge must admit had more fish on Newark Dyke but had good days at Collingham weir and scrapyard stretch on newark dyke also Farndon must be 20 years since I fished trent though
Were we separated at Birth ? 🤣🤣. Yes, the scrapyard stretch where you had to bounce your feeder off the wall over the other side to get the chub. Very very snaggy. You could quite easily loose 8 - 10 feeders in one day. 🙄. Going back a long time here but, I was fishing at Kirkstead with my dad one day catching roach and my dad had two pike rods out. I had to keep breaking off catching roach to strike his second rod as both were often going off at the same time. I think he’d 17 pike that day and lost just as many. Biggest was only about 11lb but, there must have been hundreds of pike there that day. My heart broke when that little tackle shop shut. He did some massive bronze maggots. I wonder if it still gets fished in winter like when we fished it pal ? 🤔

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Were we separated at Birth ? 🤣🤣. Yes, the scrapyard stretch where you had to bounce your feeder off the wall over the other side to get the chub. Very very snaggy. You could quite easily loose 8 - 10 feeders in one day. 🙄. Going back a long time here but, I was fishing at Kirkstead with my dad one day catching roach and my dad had two pike rods out. I had to keep breaking off catching roach to strike his second rod as both were often going off at the same time. I think he’d 17 pike that day and lost just as many. Biggest was only about 11lb but, there must have been hundreds of pike there that day. My heart broke when that little tackle shop shut. He did some massive bronze maggots. I wonder if it still gets fished in winter like when we fished it pal ? 🤔
Biggest pike we had was 17lb used to catch alot of ruff at kirkstead and had a neighbour who fished the ward matches on there used to like is bream fishing
Not sure with the fish kill saw reports full of weed in summer

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Biggest pike we had was 17lb used to catch alot of ruff at kirkstead and had a neighbour who fished the ward matches on there used to like is bream fishing
Not sure with the fish kill saw reports full of weed in summer
Not been that way for many years Chris. I used to love the Witham. 😫

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Same here used to fish Lincoln area nearly every weekend fossdyke Witham odd occasion forty foot drain even middle level that before kids though and working full
Yeah. Sodding kids. 🤣🤣. I could never drop on the bream on the forty foot. Wherever I drew they were at the opposite end. Loads of snigs to entertain myself until the match was over but, very rarely dropped on any bream. I had a run of fishing the river Till when the bream were there and that was the same. I kept drawing the low numbers while the bream were up in the 50’s. 😡 I still occasionally fish the Fosdyke around Pyewipe. Usually in autumn and spring. Now that they don’t have big matches on there you don’t need worm and joker like you did. Pinkie over Sensas 3000 lake does the business. You do get crocs there though as well. 🙄🤣🤣