Good loaded waggler?

martin22

Site Supporter
Anyone recommend me some decent loaded wagglers that cast well?
A few year ago I was given some wooden loaded wagglers,they looked hand made I’ve never seen any in any shops but they were the best wagglers I’ve ever used they cast like an arrow,unfortunately I don’t have them anymore or know who/where they were made,ive bought a few different clear plastic ones recently of eBay etc but they are terrible,allways seem to spiral and fly off to one side
Anyone any recommendations?
(Traditional waggler not pellet waggler)
Thanks

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
A few year ago I was given some wooden loaded wagglers,they looked hand made I’ve never seen any in any shops but they were the best wagglers I’ve ever used they cast like an arrow,unfortunately I don’t have them anymore or know who/where they were made,ive bought a few different clear plastic ones recently of eBay etc but they are terrible,allways seem to spiral and fly off to one side
Thanks
I quite like preston visi wags , they seem very good to me . You can take out the weight from one and put it in another to reduce shotting. They do various tip sizes and colours and of course sizes

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I quite like preston visi wags , they seem very good to me . You can take out the weight from one and put it in another to reduce shotting. They do various tip sizes and colours and of course sizes
Drennan lol not preston

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Drennan loaded crystal inserts are pretty much all I’ve used waggler wise for the last 5 years or so for Stillwaters, slow flowing rivers and canals. 1g for very close range stuff 1.5g for the vast majority of distances and 2g for belting out miles. They’re a different league to any other loaded floats I’ve used, very visible, sensitive, cast well and easy to shot whilst being fairly durable as far as crystals go. Middy do pretty decent ones as well tbf but not quite as good as the drennan ones.

grey

Site Supporter
I make my own loaded wagglers as the ones on the shop shelf are never quite right in the tip and often underloaded for my preference.

Without going down the handmade float route, the best wagglers out there are without doubt Drake (loaded or not).

Another tip is not to lock the shot either side too close together, give half inch to move, it'll improve the flight of the wag, and help it collapse on strike. Alternatively, use a waggler attachment.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Another vote for Drake wagglers they really are very good, lots of patterns to cover just about every waggler fishing need from light whip wagglers to big loaded sliders and everything in between. They are usually very accurately marked re loading and the finish is absolutely superb.
Look on Benwick sports website they always carry a good selection

richox12

Drennan Crystals in one form or another. But I change the loaded weights for the next size up (so put a 2.5g into the 2g float) and also use the Combo tips to change tip length depending on qty of droppers I want to see. Having a qty of these gives you a very useful DIY float kit where you can literally build the float you want on the day - and change it.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Have a look at Allton Tackle on Facebook, they do sets of straight/insert wagglers. You can actually add bodies to them as well. If you order the set it comes with discs so you can modify the loading what you want.

SteveAmo

Try the loaded wagglers that Kev Leach does at DJK Floats, they are very good and have interchangeable tips.

I’ve put the link below to DJK Floats

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Problem with those things is that for a lot of us the tips become a blur at more than a couple rod lengths out unless you dot them right down to get rid of the bands. Ironically they can be not very visi wags! The standard loaded crystal inserts are so much better imho
Never been a fan of loaded wagglers myself. They seem to dive too much for my liking. I’ve not got the visi’s but the tips look very visible in the pics.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never been a fan of loaded wagglers myself. They seem to dive too much for my liking. I’ve not got the visi’s but the tips look very visible in the pics.
I wouldn’t be without loadeds myself, can get away with much less shot down the line with them and smaller lockers not to they mention cast better. But I agree they do dive a bit much. I probably would avoid them if fishing well up in the water but generally look to catch bottom half myself, generally well up in the water where I fish means bleak soup so I don’t mind disturbing them a bit 😅

The visi wags are weird they look super visible close in but the further out I go with them the bands start playing tricks on my eyes and I’ve heard I’m not the only one that has that issue 🤔

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t be without loadeds myself, can get away with much less shot down the line with them and smaller lockers not to they mention cast better. But I agree they do dive a bit much. I probably would avoid them if fishing well up in the water but generally look to catch bottom half myself, generally well up in the water where I fish means bleak soup so I don’t mind disturbing them a bit 😅

The visi wags are weird they look super visible close in but the further out I go with them the bands start playing tricks on my eyes and I’ve heard I’m not the only one that has that issue 🤔
To be fair, the more I look at them the more my eyes end up all over the place. I suppose you could paint them but, that’s defeating the object and if your paying £2.50 for a float you shouldn’t have to be should you ?

Thankfully we don’t get many bleak around here. A few dace but, not many bleak. I never liked them when the Trent was heaving with them back in the eighties. Razor blades they are. 🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
To be fair, the more I look at them the more my eyes end up all over the place. I suppose you could paint them but, that’s defeating the object and if your paying £2.50 for a float you shouldn’t have to be should you ?

Thankfully we don’t get many bleak around here. A few dace but, not many bleak. I never liked them when the Trent was heaving with them back in the eighties. Razor blades they are. 🤣
😂 Haha yeah now imagine looking at them 30 yards out with the sun beating down on the surface with the trees reflecting on it and you see all sorts 😅

Flipping bleak can be the bain of the river anglers around here. Thames is crawling with them in places and it’s not short of them on the Avon and Ouse either. It’s why we do a lot of hemp fishing as much as it is it just being a very effective method in it’s own right. Chuck a maggot, caster or worm into certain pegs on certain days and you’d think there was pretty much only bleak in the water 😡 reckon you could walk across them 😂

Kingcarp8888

Site Supporter
Thanks
Drakes all the way pal best out there ive tried them all and in my opinion its drake pal